Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Motons on GT3

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 07:41 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by eclou
AWE has a PDF of the PIWIS procedure needed to disable the PASM. I am seriously considering their Moton clubsport package on my TT, along with adjustable H&R sways. It is very hard to shake these obscene urges to mod.
werd brudda
Old 05-25-2007, 02:47 AM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by frayed
I think the above quote is misleading. "Moton" does not use any spring rates. They make dampers, not damper/spring combos. Motons club sports can handle up into the 1000 lb+ regime. 450/650 would be a nice setup for a dual purpose car but for the hard core track rates, 450/650 won't be enough to fight the weight of the car.
I understand. I think what he meant is the shop sells that combo as their "Moton" solution.

Do you know the stock spring rates?
Old 05-25-2007, 11:31 PM
Terry L
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just ran my first event in the GT3 (Pocono North) and boy, is it soft and bouncy, especially compared to my lowered and stiffened Lotus Elise. It also has a lot of understeer in low speed corners as has been reported here before. However, I think I'll take it slow before changing anything other than my driving style (OK, maybe alignment and, later, tires.) It sure gets to the corners fast and blows out of them even faster! I will follow this thread with interest, especially the comments from Elise/Exige drivers.
Old 05-26-2007, 02:41 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Terry L
... I will follow this thread with interest, especially the comments from Elise/Exige drivers.
compared to lotus, i had to be extra smooth with the new GT3, there's a LOT of wt transfer going on relative to elise/exige.

i have the factory track aligment. higher speed turns, i am find, very neutral. at tight turns or combination tight turns (cotton corner at BW), it's a handful, even exiting at 50mph, i can get my rear sliding. i plan to got to the middle hole on rear bar.

i really dont like the stock cup tires. i tried 32/34, 34/ 36, 36/38... none of them had the grip i am used to (RA1 or the orig cups).
Old 05-26-2007, 07:06 AM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 33 Posts

As someone still waiting for their car, (today hopefully!), this is all a bit disconcerting. I am a novice in comparison to most of you guys but I dont understand why porsche would make their top of the line Street/track car with these inherent issues. At well over 100k after saftey mods I would expect a car that not only has the power but also has the traction/stability to lay it down. Theres no way porsche would have spent all this money on a new model without testing their design theory??? Is the weight the issue? Sorry if these are obvious questions, I just cant believe I am going to have to put a whole new suspension on a brand new car to get it to stick! Thanks
Old 05-26-2007, 07:26 AM
hesperus
Racer

Originally Posted by Trj
As someone still waiting for their car, (today hopefully!), this is all a bit disconcerting. I am a novice in comparison to most of you guys but I dont understand why porsche would make their top of the line Street/track car with these inherent issues. At well over 100k after saftey mods I would expect a car that not only has the power but also has the traction/stability to lay it down. Theres no way porsche would have spent all this money on a new model without testing their design theory??? Is the weight the issue? Sorry if these are obvious questions, I just cant believe I am going to have to put a whole new suspension on a brand new car to get it to stick! Thanks
I think the stock car is more than sufficient for over 95% of the people who buy a Porsche. But there's always going to be those nutters at the fringe for whom stock is not good enough.

You're here at Rennlist... and well... welcome to the fringe!
Old 05-26-2007, 08:49 AM
Nordschleife
Drifting

Originally Posted by Trj
I just cant believe I am going to have to put a whole new suspension on a brand new car to get it to stick! Thanks
Welcome to the real world.

However, more satisfying will be to work on your driving skills so you can overlook any apparent shortcomings of the car as delivered. If its any consolation, Porsche buyers have always bitched about having to spend money on new cars to make them paletable.

If you do too much to your car, you run the risk of reducing its resale value and making it unpleasant on the street. If you only drive it on track, then you would be better off just having a Cup car.
R+C
Old 05-26-2007, 02:48 PM
Eric Ondoy
Advanced

I have put the clubsport 2-way adjustable motons on a 07' 997TT and a 07' RS and this upgrade made a huge difference on the track!!

You will not be sorry if you upgrade to motons and you guys are tracking your cars!!
Old 05-26-2007, 03:12 PM
frayed
Race Car

Eric, what rates did you use and how do your cars ride on the street?
Old 05-26-2007, 04:58 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eric, where did you get them and who did the install?
Old 05-26-2007, 05:49 PM
Jim Bacus
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Eric Ondoy
I have put the clubsport 2-way adjustable motons on a 07' 997TT and a 07' RS and this upgrade made a huge difference on the track!!

You will not be sorry if you upgrade to motons and you guys are tracking your cars!!
Eric, have you tracked the RS yet? Who did you moton install on it?

Thanks!
Old 05-26-2007, 05:55 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,660 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Trj
the car is actually VERY GOOD. we are being nit picky here. and my was totally stock so it isn't fair to compare that to my modded lotus or 996gt3. dont fret, you will love it.
Old 05-26-2007, 07:10 PM
Eric Ondoy
Advanced

Trj,
Fall-line motorsports did them on both cars-search fall-line motorsports.com-they are in northbrook,illinois-they installed the motons followed by a track alignment and corner balancing etc... etc...

Jim,
I will see you on mon.-laps and I tracked the TT and RS already with the motons!!
Both cars are "dialed in"!!!

frayed,
I don't know what the spring rates are, since I had them professionally installed. There are 5 adjustments on the nitrogen cannisters and both cars were lowered by about one inch and a quarter. The ride feels good-not too bouncy-On the track, with a lot more contact patch-both cars are on rails and the cars are point and shoot!!!
Old 05-26-2007, 07:16 PM
Trj
Addict
Rennlist Member

Eric, Thanks

Mooty, Thanks also. I just saw my car still in the wrapper. Cant wait to drive it!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-26-2007, 10:42 PM
Ray G
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Terry L
I just ran my first event in the GT3 (Pocono North) and boy, is it soft and bouncy, especially compared to my lowered and stiffened Lotus Elise. It also has a lot of understeer in low speed corners as has been reported here before. However, I think I'll take it slow before changing anything other than my driving style (OK, maybe alignment and, later, tires.) It sure gets to the corners fast and blows out of them even faster! I will follow this thread with interest, especially the comments from Elise/Exige drivers.
I track my Exige a lot. That's sort of why I'm getting picky about the GT3 bouncing around too much. I think P decided to soften the car for the street with PASM, but it's a compromise.

Originally Posted by mooty
compared to lotus, i had to be extra smooth with the new GT3, there's a LOT of wt transfer going on relative to elise/exige.
That is my experience also.

I have found that after market coil-over kits are almost always a big improvement over stock pieces AND can be made to ride more comfortably on the street too.

Eric, good to hear you like the Motons. I was thinking of the club-sport version.

Quick Reply: Motons on GT3