Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The additional "170 RS's are coming" concept got lost in its previous thread...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 12:30 PM
Bluehinder
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by gt3racerich
Jan 18 I posted that more RS's are likely, they will be model year 08.
April 8 I posted "There will be 08 RS's for North America as well. The anouncement will come in June. There will be the same number for 08 as there was in 07". I was going to start a thread with this info but did not need to here the crap from guys that really did not have any info, just did not want to see any more cars,(you were one of the first people to do that, by the way, so I find it funny that you start a thread like this since you think it is so boring)so I just put it in as a reply.
I have conformation from multiple sourses from PCNA. Not a dealer or a friend who knows so and so.
Sorry I will not provide their names, take it for what it is worth. 08 RS's are coming. The only debate now is how many. My latest info is a few less then 07.
Rich
Some additional info: There is a lot of talk about Porsche wanting these cars to get to the right people, special customers, etc. The cars will be allocated to dealers the same way as last year, the allocations go according to how many 911's a dealer sells. It will be up to the dealers to do what they see fit. Nothing new there.
I am very hopefull that I will be ordering my car next month. I know a lot of you guys do not want to see that. Sorry if it ruins your day. Not really.
Exactly what I've heard.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:39 PM
ebanzero
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the end of the day, even if they make an 08, how many cars are we really looking at in the US? 300? That is a very small amount of cars. The chance of seeing more than one or two in your area is tiny. The addition of an 08 model should not significantly impact the resale. It will still be extremely hard to get one. I think you will still see speculators and even dealers trying to flip cars for a profit.
Old 05-15-2007, 12:56 PM
leif997
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ebanzero
At the end of the day, even if they make an 08, how many cars are we really looking at in the US? 300? That is a very small amount of cars. The chance of seeing more than one or two in your area is tiny. The addition of an 08 model should not significantly impact the resale. It will still be extremely hard to get one. I think you will still see speculators and even dealers trying to flip cars for a profit.

WRT the above....how many of you think the new '08's will be sold at MSRP?....seems like a heavy bit of profiteering will occur at the "favored client's" expense.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:14 PM
ebanzero
Instructor

Originally Posted by leif997
WRT the above....how many of you think the new '08's will be sold at MSRP?....seems like a heavy bit of profiteering will occur at the "favored client's" expense.

Well now that "the cat is out of the bag" so to speak, there will probably be more people trying to make a profit on the 08's. Back when the 07's were all sold, there wasn't all this hype surrounding the car. The enthusiasts all knew what the car was, but no one, including Porsche, thought it was going to be this crazy. That is why they only offered 270 cars. Now that the demand is skyrocketing they decided to offer more cars for 08, hoping to get some more cars into enthusiast's hands at MSRP, and of course make a profit for themselves. Unfortunately, this may back-fire, and just end up putting more cars out there for over list. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
Old 05-15-2007, 01:33 PM
02_996_C2
Advanced

I do believe there will be RS for the MY08, there are so many RS owners here on this board, please help the others who are interested to get ahold of one on WHERE and HOW to get one
Old 05-15-2007, 02:46 PM
stuka
Pro

They only imported 300 GT2's.

Of which probably 10% are total loss at this point.

No modern Porsche has any resale in the same manner that you guys are wishing. If you really want good resale, buy an F car and be done with it.

Oh, and don't put any miles on it.
Old 05-15-2007, 02:49 PM
stuka
Pro

Well now that "the cat is out of the bag" so to speak, there will probably be more people trying to make a profit on the 08's. Back when the 07's were all sold, there wasn't all this hype surrounding the car. The enthusiasts all knew what the car was, but no one, including Porsche, thought it was going to be this crazy. That is why they only offered 270 cars. Now that the demand is skyrocketing they decided to offer more cars for 08, hoping to get some more cars into enthusiast's hands at MSRP, and of course make a profit for themselves. Unfortunately, this may back-fire, and just end up putting more cars out there for over list. I guess we will just have to wait and see.
The luxury car market is changing.

Many many people's HELOC ATM's are drying up. Remember what happened to the F40 for a long long time, as well as many other $$$$ cars in bad economic times?

About 20% of all jobs in the OC are real estate related. And CA, which is the biggest consumer of Porsches, is going to get it in the real estate market.

Anyone remember when brand new 993's sat on the lot for 6 to 8 months?
Old 05-15-2007, 03:22 PM
volpenyc
Pro

^+1
Couldn't agree more..I wonder how many on this board (hopefully not too many) are employed in the RE sector..
Old 05-15-2007, 04:52 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't realize people buying $100k+ cars were dipping into their home's equity to do so... doesn't make much sense to me??
Old 05-15-2007, 05:23 PM
Moogle
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by pcar964
I didn't realize people buying $100k+ cars were dipping into their home's equity to do so... doesn't make much sense to me??
wow thats completely insane. 'investing in a depreciating asset with your equity?!

well, it's their life.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:37 PM
ebanzero
Instructor

Originally Posted by stuka
They only imported 300 GT2's.

Of which probably 10% are total loss at this point.

No modern Porsche has any resale in the same manner that you guys are wishing. If you really want good resale, buy an F car and be done with it.

Oh, and don't put any miles on it.

I agree totally about Ferrari have good resale numbers. Kudos to their management and marketing strategy.

But with all due respect, the GT3 RS is like no modern car Porsche has built. It definitely is in a different league than the 996 GT2, which was basically an overpriced turbo. If Porsche keeps the numbers low and doesn't bastardize it, the car will retain its value over the long run.
Old 05-15-2007, 05:50 PM
smlporsche
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm sorry but no modern production Porsche should be considered an investment. They will all depreciate.
Enjoy them for what they are. That is the best ROI you'll ever get.

...and yes I'm in the Real Estate field (custom construction actually).
Old 05-15-2007, 06:04 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

...with all due respect, the GT3 RS is like no modern car Porsche has built...the car will retain its value over the long run.
Um, it's a whole lot like the regular GT3, which is an improved version of the 996GT3 (which has not "retained its value").

Originally Posted by pcar964
It did when HELOCs were ~5% (tax deductible) and real estate appreciation was ~10%/year...
Old 05-15-2007, 07:57 PM
HMS
Racer

Those guys who paid over msrp for an RS are not very happy now.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:02 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

RS' in '08 it is for real...no doubt!

Quick Reply: The additional "170 RS's are coming" concept got lost in its previous thread...