Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The additional "170 RS's are coming" concept got lost in its previous thread...

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2007, 10:42 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys.

Life's short. Drive the living schit out of whatever gets your blood pumping. Ferrari, Porsche, GM, Aston, whatever. I have not done any complex, spreadsheet depreciation analysis and let resale drive my decisions. If I can pay cash, and if I like the ride, I buy it. The GT3 is my hands down pick from the current TT, the Z06, the AM cars, the F430 blah blah blah.

An incredibly compelling car and if the RS is better from behind the wheel (I don't know if it is), then buy the damn thing.

Today as an 08 allocation, or tomorrow when the resale market regains its senses.
Old 05-17-2007, 12:49 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
With that in mind; it becomes a simple decision to either accept the cost or not. There's no fiscal "high ground" if the source of the funds is secure assets or if it's eked out of a paycheck.
Take note of the word secure.
Current loony house prices are not "secure".

Any loan has to be repaid. If it was spent paying 2000 a month for a GT3 where is the money to pay back the loan going to come from? That 2k per month is spent money and is not coming back.
If the real estate market continues to be hot then another refinancing can be done. This is where the risk factor comes in. How do you know it is going to be that way?

Betting your house for a GT3 is irresponsible. Betting the house to get a loan for a business startup is risky but is the essence of western capitalism.

Originally Posted by frayed
Life's short. Drive the living schit out of whatever gets your blood pumping. Ferrari, Porsche, GM, Aston, whatever. I have not done any complex, spreadsheet depreciation analysis and let resale drive my decisions. If I can pay cash, and if I like the ride, I buy it. The GT3 is my hands down pick from the current TT, the Z06, the AM cars, the F430 blah blah blah.
Exactly. We are discussing fancy toys here. Play on.
Old 05-17-2007, 01:10 PM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by amaist
You want to change the definition of a secure asset because you think prices today are "loony?"
Old 05-17-2007, 02:18 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
You want to change the definition of a secure asset because you think prices today are "loony?"
The asset itself is secure in the sense that it's "real" estate.
But the froth from the inflated price of such assets is not secure.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:00 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jack
I agree -- more 's from all sorts of people regardless of age or type of car-make they prefer. 170 more, why not?

I haven't seen any on the road in SoCal either except for the ones my friends own.

This sums it all up, lots of posing, waxing and track talk with grandpa laptimes despite carbon fiber racing seats and in the end of the day mooch the car for MSRP, drive it for a few weeks, talk big and then dump it and make 30-40 g's like good ol' Terrance Y pictured here, who could not drive himself out of a wet paperbag, is going to do.
Old 05-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Carrera2kid
Instructor

What happened to this thead?
Why all the angst and anger?
what's the point of dumping on poor "ol' Terrance Y", who has done nothing more to deserve it than to smile for the camera? And do we really need to talk about how stupid it is to take out a home equity loan to buy a Porsche? If one person on this forum has done that, I would be flabbergasted.
Geez, guys...let's pick it up, shall we?

Ray
'07 RS
Old 05-17-2007, 05:38 PM
normank
Racer

^ What he said.
Old 05-17-2007, 05:53 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by NOBLEGT3
LOTUS EXIGE S ...2000 POUNDS...TRY IT...YOU WILL LIKE IT...YES IM YELLING
Do they make those in adult sizes?
Old 05-17-2007, 06:05 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick
Bob, to my dismay, if the rumors are true that Ferrari is introducing a model below the 430 next year, then I believe Ferrari is taking a page out of the Porsche book and depreciation will accelerate for the mid-engine model.

I am not optimistic because when Ferrari executives were asked which car manufacturer they felt had its act together they indicated Porsche. Those of us who moved away from Porsche because of their business practices (not the time or place to discuss) may find ourselves back into what we have been trying to avoid.

BTW, how do you handle the warranty issue while tracking Porsche's? It is my understanding Porsche does not extend the warranty to failures as a result of track events.
Nick - Perhaps Ferrari has decided to make money on cars instead of licensing?

I have never had a failure which is track related on any of my Porsches. My 1995 993 has been tracked every year for ten years and now with 70,000 miles is still going strong with no major repairs. Same goes for my 2001 Boxster.

Issues I have had have been minor and unrelated to track. That's the reason I love these cars.

Best,
Old 05-17-2007, 06:22 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 295 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by Carrera2kid
...do we really need to talk about how stupid it is to take out a home equity loan to buy a Porsche? If one person on this forum has done that, I would be flabbergasted.
Not that I have or plan to, but why would you be so surprised? I'm sure most GT3/GT3RS owners have a lot of home equity, their capital making more than 7%, and could use the tax deduction...
Old 05-17-2007, 06:58 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Any loan has to be repaid. If it was spent paying 2000 a month for a GT3 where is the money to pay back the loan going to come from? That 2k per month is spent money and is not coming back.
If the real estate market continues to be hot then another refinancing can be done. This is where the risk factor comes in. How do you know it is going to be that way?

Exactly. We are discussing fancy toys here. Play on.
I agree with Andrei.

Using home equity to buy a depreciating toy isn't something I'd do. Doesn't make sense at all to me.

Real Estate appreciation, to me, is a bonus and is not known until you either sell or refinance and, in the case of commercial real estate is determined by revenues and expenses. Cashflow from investment property is predictable.
Old 05-18-2007, 12:36 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,735 Likes on 2,347 Posts

if you are less than 6', 200#, you WILL fit.
just have to take a few yoga classes.
Old 05-18-2007, 02:17 AM
krC2S
Racer

weird first time i hear that a lighter smaller car is a bad thing
Old 05-18-2007, 12:09 PM
amaist
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by krC2S
weird first time i hear that a lighter smaller car is a bad thing
A small and light car is great if you can fit in it. I won't. Too late for me to start training to become a circus contortionist.
Old 05-18-2007, 01:17 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

A small and light car is great if you can fit in it. I won't. Too late for me to start training to become a circus contortionist.
Me niether. Too tall, too wide.

Quick Reply: The additional "170 RS's are coming" concept got lost in its previous thread...