GT3 facts and sunroof considerations

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 08:15 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default GT3 facts and sunroof considerations

Some of you may have been a bit premature reacting to the Sunroof, particularly with concern regarding fit. Here's why.

One of the major changes (over the 996 GT3) is that the front seats (only seats) are placed lower in the car.

Another one is that the pedal placement is further forward, brake pedal by 10mm and clutch pedal by 15mm. Allowable because of a new bulkhead cross member. A specific accomodation for taller drivers

Oh and for the sunroof issue ( besides the available increases available in headroom) did you know that over the 996 GT3 there is an 8% increase in torsional rigidity and 40% increase in flexural rigidity.

Very good news indeed.

All the aboves makes the sunroof a non issue I'd think!
Old 11-28-2006, 08:32 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Colm,

Once again no offence but its a the ****ING PRINCIPLE!
Old 11-28-2006, 08:35 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Maybe if Porsche uses some CF and Ti parts they can eliminate the weight issue of the sunroof.

Overall I'd say the biggest issue is Porsche ramming the sunroof down peoples throats. Why no choice? The crash test story is BS. I asked why can Porsche import the RS with no sunroof and not the GT3, the answer, because Porsche wanted it that way...
Old 11-28-2006, 08:36 PM
Joe S.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
its a the ****ING PRINCIPLE!
Exactly.
Old 11-28-2006, 08:38 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

None taken, but sometimes we are our worst enemy!

And an additional fact.

The normal PASM is the same as the previous 996 GT3, with evolutionary improvement. Specifically not aimed towards comfort (but doesn't neglect comfort) as in the 997 (per Porsche), and the sport mode facilitates an especially precise and targeted driving behaviour by reducing body movements to a minimum
Old 11-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Alan Smithee
Rennlist Member

Received 280 Likes on 141 Posts

Indeed, all 997s have lower seating positions than the 996s. I'm average height, and there are seemingly acres of headroom in my 997 with sunroof...I feel like the kid in the 997 commercial. But I agree with others that it's the principle.

Colm, have you had a chance to post a review/comparison yet?
Old 11-28-2006, 09:27 PM
MJones
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

FWIW
Headroom loss with sliding roof = 0.3 in

Trending Topics

Old 11-28-2006, 09:34 PM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well lets see:

The engine is more powerful

The gearbox is shorter ratio

The chassis is stiffer

The suspension is improved (Normal is 996 GT3 and Sport is track stiff)

The brakes are improved

The steering is improved

That about says it all.
Old 11-28-2006, 09:47 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink

You know I will be thinking of all you guys who have pissed and moaned the last 6 months about the sunroof issue about two weeks from now when I'm driving my new 997GT3 down Highway-1 through Jenner and Bodega Bay on my way to Shark Werks to have my C21's installed. I understand you can get a Prius without a sunroof.
Old 11-28-2006, 10:55 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Colm,

Would you rather have the GT3 with or without the sunroof?

I would much raher have it without the sunroof but I can't.

P.S. I thin the whole sunroof is a scam from Porsche to take our mind off of all the nannies they're sticking down our throats, pretty much no one talks about them even though IMO they are far more worse than sunroof is.
Old 11-28-2006, 11:03 PM
MetalSolid
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
...its a the ****ING PRINCIPLE!
Absolutely!

Originally Posted by Snowboarder54
You know I will be thinking of all you guys who have pissed and moaned the last 6 months about the sunroof issue about two weeks from now when I'm driving my new 997GT3 down Highway-1 through Jenner and Bodega Bay on my way to Shark Werks to have my C21's installed.
And I'd like to think all that pissin' & moanin' got us a US GT3RS without a sunroof and maybe sunroof-delete option on '08 GT3s.

PS: HRE sucks!
Old 11-28-2006, 11:38 PM
Snowboarder54
Rennlist Member

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MetalSolid
Absolutely!

And I'd like to think all that pissin' & moanin' got us a US GT3RS without a sunroof and maybe sunroof-delete option on '08 GT3s.

PS: HRE sucks!

You may think they suck but they are strong, light and look all so sweeeeet!!! I heard your cooking sucks but I would never repeat that on a forum.
Old 11-29-2006, 12:13 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flying Finn
Colm,

Would you rather have the GT3 with or without the sunroof?

I would much raher have it without the sunroof but I can't.

P.S. I thin the whole sunroof is a scam from Porsche to take our mind off of all the nannies they're sticking down our throats, pretty much no one talks about them even though IMO they are far more worse than sunroof is.
I can't give you an objective answer to this because I have an RS in the pipeline, so it's a non-decision for me.

Can I convince my wife to give up the X51 and keep the GT3?, it's a matter of emotion over performance there I'm afraid, otherwise I'll have one with sunroof and one without

However, I am amazed by the GT3, and after going in depth to analyze and compare the the differences between the the 996 GT3 and the 997 GT3 I am even more amazed at the thoroughness of the improvements.

Steering improved
Chassis improved
Brakes improved
Power improved
Gearbox improved
Ergonomics improved
Brakes improved

So the sunroof is a non issue, because headroom is increased and stiffness is increased.

When you analyze the GT3 you will find that there are very few nannies, unless you consider CGT technology a nanny i.e traction control

If you use the total number of GT2 units as an indicator, then Porsche has decided to build slightly less of the GT3 RS. This number seems reasonable, of course, you have to consider the inflated demand because they (GT3 RS) are not available, and then everyone wants one.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:38 AM
khaug
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Some of you may have been a bit premature reacting to the Sunroof, particularly with concern regarding fit. Here's why.

One of the major changes (over the 996 GT3) is that the front seats (only seats) are placed lower in the car.

Another one is that the pedal placement is further forward, brake pedal by 10mm and clutch pedal by 15mm. Allowable because of a new bulkhead cross member. A specific accomodation for taller drivers

Oh and for the sunroof issue ( besides the available increases available in headroom) did you know that over the 996 GT3 there is an 8% increase in torsional rigidity and 40% increase in flexural rigidity.

Very good news indeed.

Very, very good news for me, @ 6'3". with a 997 GT3 due at the shipper's 11/30! Thanks, Colm.

Frankly, I'm sick and tired of snide 'sunroof posts'. On paper, anyway, the 997 is the superior car, and I get a sense of zealotry from the posters who deride the 997 for its sunroof. Would I have taken a sunroof if I had a choice? No, I think few of us would have . We agree, issue closed. If you feel compelled to post further boring and repetitious comments about the 997 sunroof, please do so on the 996 GT3f orum where you will, at least. be among friends.

Otherwise,

Regards!

Last edited by khaug; 11-29-2006 at 02:33 AM.
Old 11-29-2006, 09:28 AM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by khaug
...Frankly, I'm sick and tired of snide 'sunroof posts'. On paper, anyway, the 997 is the superior car, and I get a sense of zealotry from the posters who deride the 997 for its sunroof. Would I have taken a sunroof if I had a choice? No, I think few of us would have . We agree, issue closed. If you feel compelled to post further boring and repetitious comments about the 997 sunroof, please do so on the 996 GT3f orum where you will, at least. be among friends.

Otherwise,

Regards!
With all due respect sir, aren't you boring and repetitious now?

Anyways, you say you would've ordered your GT3 without the sunroof if you had the choice.
And that is the whole point, in US we also should have the choice same way ROW has.

Quick Reply: GT3 facts and sunroof considerations