Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 facts and sunroof considerations

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2006, 10:05 PM
Racerron
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

On second thoughts it must have been Tremblant, and we really have to get you to Mosport next year. Calabogie is a nice change and with the week end events you'll see more of me apart from waving from the other side of the street,,,,,sans cedar hedge There is at least a good restaurant in Bowmanville now
Old 11-30-2006, 10:06 PM
Racerron
Racer

On second thoughts it must have been Tremblant, and we really have to get you to Mosport next year. Calabogie is a nice change and with the week end events you'll see more of me apart from waving from the other side of the street,,,,,sans cedar hedge There is at least a good restaurant in Bowmanville now
Racerron
Racer

Racerron
Racer

Old 11-30-2006, 10:39 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

Ron one of my students from DE got one of the first ones about a month ago. The 997 GT3 is a significant improvement over ours. Nicer clutch, gearbox, suspension and the noise... the noise!
Old 11-30-2006, 10:41 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 256 Likes on 119 Posts

We will have 8 events, 5 LCMT and 3 at Calabogie. I like Calabogie .. nice change. Mosport is a pain to get to and too few corners
Old 11-30-2006, 10:59 PM
Crazy Canuck
Race Director

Received 218 Likes on 108 Posts

Bob, what color did you end up going with for your RS?

997 GT3 a worthwhile improvement over the 996 GT3? THe guards red 997 GT3 posted on here a few days ago looks mightly tempting, especially when I put on over 1/2 my milage on track. I'm interested to hear what you and Keith think about it.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:20 AM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by frayed
they got fooked on lexan by the DOT
Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
As to ..., lexan windows ..., thank our law makers for that. They can't be certified here
Lexan/Makrolon with an Exatec 900 coating fully complies with FMVSS 205 but Porsche chose not to use it.
Old 01-25-2007, 05:27 PM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Frayed - I am curious. Why do you disregard Porsche's official stance? It was about 18 months ago when PAG announced that all 997's would have a sun roof because they refused to undergo crash tests simply because they provided a more rigid roof structure. Sounds like they objected "on principle".
You know, I was thinking about this some more in light of the RS allocation speculation.

If it is true that sunroof/no sunroof cars each have to be separately crash tested, that would mean some sort of waiver/exemption must be in place for the RS. If that's true, I couldn't find it on DOT's search of its docket.

Anyone have have a copy?
Old 01-25-2007, 05:42 PM
cchan
Rennlist Member

maybe try http://www.nhtsa.gov/ ?

edit: maybe this? http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/stan...Regs/index.htm
Old 01-25-2007, 06:03 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, I was thinking about this some more in light of the RS allocation speculation.

If it is true that sunroof/no sunroof cars each have to be separately crash tested, that would mean some sort of waiver/exemption must be in place for the RS. If that's true, I couldn't find it on DOT's search of its docket.

Anyone have have a copy?
Firstly, how do we know that the RS was NOT crashed tested.

Secondly, remember the only reason (IMO) that US GT3's come with a sunroof with no sunroof delete option is so that the US RS can be 44lbs lighter.

Since PCNA could not bring an RS into NA with the carbon seats it had to find another way of making the car lighter than the GT3. How do you make a car lighter? Easy, you make the other car you are comparing it to heavier. I'm convinced that's why the GT3 has the sunroof.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:07 PM
frayed
Race Car

I agree with you RR. It's been my contention all along that the sunroof in the GT3 is for purposes of model differentiation, not any of this horse**** excuse about crash testing.

Accordingly, I think the RS was seperately crash tested or did not need to be b/c of the chassis similarity with other models.

If I'm right, then there's no constraint on 2008 RSs due to crash testing.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:15 PM
RR
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree, I don't think there is constraint on quantites of the RS sold into the US other than the re-tooling possibility that takes place at the factory for August 2007 supposedly.

I do think that initially Porsche decided to bring only a set limit of cars, cars that they had bonafide orders for. The reason I think that is when I switched my order from a GT3 to the RS, my dealer immediately wrote up a bonafide order for the RS - very formal, salesman, sales manager, finance manager and owner all involved in writing up this order- (none had been done prior withthe GT3) and I was told that the orders had to be faxed to Porsche in order for the dealers to get an allocation. No bonafide order meant no allocation for that dealer.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:28 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

that would mean some sort of waiver/exemption must be in place for the RS.
There is no prior precedent for the RS to receive a waiver and the homologation explanation given in other threads doesn't pass the smell test.

If that's true, I couldn't find it on DOT's search of its docket.
You also need to check the Federal Register but nothing has showed up yet. There is actually a mailing list you can sign up for at the NHTSA and everyday you get copies of everything published that day. At the latest the DOT waiver would be published the day after the first car clears US customs so I guess we'll find out soon enough.
Old 01-25-2007, 06:45 PM
Flying Finn
King of Cool
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RR
...I do think that initially Porsche decided to bring only a set limit of cars, cars that they had bonafide orders for. The reason I think that is when I switched my order from a GT3 to the RS, my dealer immediately wrote up a bonafide order for the RS - very formal, salesman, sales manager, finance manager and owner all involved in writing up this order- (none had been done prior withthe GT3) and I was told that the orders had to be faxed to Porsche in order for the dealers to get an allocation. No bonafide order meant no allocation for that dealer.
Hmm... Very interesting. There's a dealer that AFAIK has the biggest # of RS allocations in US (even if not the biggest, they have more than one handful) and their RS "list" got started when I tipped them that RS is coming and at the time they, and pretty much no one had no clue about that (this was very early, even magazines didn't speculate about it). Your theory would explain why they got so many allocations.

Quick Reply: GT3 facts and sunroof considerations