Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Tire recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2023, 05:45 PM
Mike J
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 71 Likes on 58 Posts

Anyone heard if the Pilot Sport 5S will be coming out? I know the PS5 has been available for a bit in Europe and has gotten great reviews, but Tire Rack for instance only has one size available (for Mercedes), and no mention of a S version.

I have Pirellis on my 997.1 GT3, primarily because it came with them (don't really like Pirelli's), and I just drove a friends 997.1 GT3 with brand new PS4S's. I immediately noticed the softer turn-in, which seems to be the softer sidewalls on the 4S, or hopefully it was because they need to be run in a bit. Not sure yet. :-)

Cheers,

Mike
Old 02-27-2023, 03:07 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,055 Likes on 669 Posts

bump for my post #14 above ...

I'll change my ask a bit then,.... has anyone run the PS4S in a 315/30 on a stock 12" wide, 19" rim (on a Narrow Body .2 GT3)? ... Any rub problems?

I really think running a slightly wider tread & section width would square this PS4S up a bit, and help reduce the protrusion of the rim protector bead

.... the only problem with that theory, is that the 315/30 specs show it is targeted at a 11.5" rim width as maximum,... which then tells me a 12" rim would stretch it a bit.

Then again,... the standard 305/30 size tire, for this PS4S ALSO says the max is a 11.5" rim.

It is not until you get to the 325/30, that the spec says it can / should be used on a 12" rim width.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...4SXL&tab=Sizes

@jreifler I saw your comment on that BaT auction:...

Feb 23 at 12:35 PM
jreifler This author's likes: 654@Tangerine997 – Not seeing 325s on this. Zoom in on pic 240. 315s in the rear. Regardless, 325s will fit on the NB 12″ rear wheels, but are not an ideal fit. These cars understeer with stock suspension / alignment, so a wider rear with 235s up front will exacerbate that tendency. Probably only really noticeable on track or pushing hard. 315 / 235 is a very nominal change from the OE 305 rear section, and I wouldn’t expect anyone to notice a difference. Getting even more pedantic and annoying – Cup 2s come in different N-spec designations depending on size. That’s why these 315s have a lip at the rear rim (they’re not Porsche N-0 spec), whereas the front 235s are N-0 spec, and are more bulbous. The 305s and 325s also come in N-0 spec."

I like N0 spec too,... but the PS4S does not come in that. I am bound & determined to run PS4S on my street-only driven .2 GT3. I do not go crazy on the backroads either, so I think I will be fine with the softer sidewall. I could also go with a 245/35 up front on my 8.5" stock rims too. I have read posts that say the 245 works up front fine.

Last edited by bweSteve; 02-27-2023 at 03:18 PM. Reason: on a Narrow Body .2 GT3
Old 02-27-2023, 06:57 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 660 Likes on 296 Posts

I posted this back in 2019 about N ratings

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
The N rating means it is Porsche approved tire for handling, speed, ect., the second number denotes the tire generation. The original Cup tires ended at N1 which was second refinement/update to the tire.The newer Cup2 are currently gen1 with N0 designation with no known update coming yet. The wheel protection is typically found on the MPS/4 for the Carrera.

Mike
Here is some more info:

Porsche N-Spec Tires Explained

Design and Testing

Porsche designs and manufacturers some of the highest performance vehicles in the world. Because of the essential role that tires play in vehicle performance, Porsche has integrated tires in the design process throughout vehicle development. Porsche original equipment tires must successfully pass the tire company’s laboratory tests, road tests and race track evaluations to confirm that prototype tires meet Porsche’s noise, hydroplaning, handling and high-speed durability requirements. Only upon successful completion of these tests, will tires be released for production.

Branded as N-Spec

Production tires that have passed all of the tests and received Porsche’s engineering department’s release can be branded with an N-specification. The N-specification brandings include: N-0 (N-zero), N-1, N-2, N-3, N-4, N-5 or N-6. These markings on a tire’s sidewall clearly and permanently identify them as approved by Porsche for their vehicles. The N-0 marking is assigned to the first approved version of a tire design. As that design is refined externally or internally, the later significant evolutions will result in a new generation of the tire to be branded with N-1, N-2, N-3, etc., in succession. When a completely new tire design is approved, it receives the N-0 branding and the succession begins again.

Mixing N-Spec Tires

Use only tire types tested by Porsche. Only tires with the same manufacturer and with the same specification code (e.g. “N0”, “N1” …) should be mounted on the vehicle. Tires should be replaced no less than in pairs on one axle at a time. Only tires of the same tire make and type must be used. Since many Porsche vehicles are fitted with different sized tires on their front and rear axles, this requires matching the tire brand, tire name and N-specification front to rear. While the tire manufacturers may also build other tires featuring the same name, size and speed rating as the N-specification tires for non-Porsche applications, these tires may not be branded with the Porsche N-specification because they do not share the same internal construction and/or tread compound ingredients as the N-specification tires.

Replacing N-Spec Tires

If a vehicle was originally delivered with N-specification tires that have been discontinued and are no longer available, it is recommended to replace all four tires to a higher numeric N-specification design appropriate for that vehicle. In case of tire damage such as cuts, punctures, cracks or sidewall bulges that cause a single tire to be replaced for safety reasons, the remaining matching tire on that axle must not exceed 30 percent wear. If the remaining tire has more than 30 percent wear from new, it should also be replaced. This rule applies to all four tires on all wheel drive vehicles. Handling inconsistencies may result if this is not done.

Break-in of New Tires

Initially, new tires do not offer their full traction. Drivers should therefore drive at moderate speeds during the first 60-100 miles (100-200km). If new tires are installed on only one axle, a noticeable change in handling occurs due to the different tread depth of the other tires. This happens especially if only rear tires are replaced. However, this condition disappears as new tires are broken in. Drivers should adjust their driving style accordingly.

Tire Aging

Additionally, even though only the world’s highest performance tires can earn the Porsche N-Spec approval, eventually all tires will either wear out or age out. The chemical additives that make rubber elastic lose their effectiveness in the course of time and the rubber becomes brittle and cracks. Considering the performance capabilities of a Porsche, under no circumstances should tires older than 6 years be used. Porsche dealers can recommend the most current replacement tire options for your vehicle.
The following users liked this post:
RAudi Driver (03-03-2023)
Old 02-28-2023, 04:22 PM
mumintrollet
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Sorry, but do anybody know if the PS4S 305/30/19 no N spec are more narrow the for example P-Zero N2 rated 305/30/19
Old 03-03-2023, 08:04 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 51 Posts

I am going to switch back to the Sport Cup 2 this spring. I've got the PS4S on the car. New in 2020. They have less than 1k miles on them. I just prefer the Sport Cup profile.
Old 03-27-2023, 09:33 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

$ Short (08-22-2023)
Old 03-29-2023, 09:25 AM
scott40
Rennlist Member

Received 102 Likes on 51 Posts

Do these still have the bead protector?
Old 03-29-2023, 11:49 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,994 Likes on 1,776 Posts

Won't matter as we can't buy them S5's. Those Michelin Pilot Sport S5's are not going to be available for tire buyers. They will only shod them on manufacturer's cars. We will get some updated version of the Pilot 4S, to be called something like the Michelin Pilot S 4.9999.
Old 03-29-2023, 08:41 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

my dealer said they will be getting S5's for repair orders on those new cars,... so yes he will get me a set. We're not expecting that to be until the Fall though.
RAudi Driver (03-30-2023)
Old 04-04-2023, 05:55 PM
mezgermischief
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
bump for my post #14 above ...

I'll change my ask a bit then,.... has anyone run the PS4S in a 315/30 on a stock 12" wide, 19" rim (on a Narrow Body .2 GT3)? ... Any rub problems?

I really think running a slightly wider tread & section width would square this PS4S up a bit, and help reduce the protrusion of the rim protector bead

.... the only problem with that theory, is that the 315/30 specs show it is targeted at a 11.5" rim width as maximum,... which then tells me a 12" rim would stretch it a bit.

Then again,... the standard 305/30 size tire, for this PS4S ALSO says the max is a 11.5" rim.

It is not until you get to the 325/30, that the spec says it can / should be used on a 12" rim width.

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...4SXL&tab=Sizes

@jreifler I saw your comment on that BaT auction:...

Feb 23 at 12:35 PM
jreifler This author's likes: 654@Tangerine997 – Not seeing 325s on this. Zoom in on pic 240. 315s in the rear. Regardless, 325s will fit on the NB 12″ rear wheels, but are not an ideal fit. These cars understeer with stock suspension / alignment, so a wider rear with 235s up front will exacerbate that tendency. Probably only really noticeable on track or pushing hard. 315 / 235 is a very nominal change from the OE 305 rear section, and I wouldn’t expect anyone to notice a difference. Getting even more pedantic and annoying – Cup 2s come in different N-spec designations depending on size. That’s why these 315s have a lip at the rear rim (they’re not Porsche N-0 spec), whereas the front 235s are N-0 spec, and are more bulbous. The 305s and 325s also come in N-0 spec."

I like N0 spec too,... but the PS4S does not come in that. I am bound & determined to run PS4S on my street-only driven .2 GT3. I do not go crazy on the backroads either, so I think I will be fine with the softer sidewall. I could also go with a 245/35 up front on my 8.5" stock rims too. I have read posts that say the 245 works up front fine.
PS4S is really poorly suited on our cars. It doesn't have nearly enough sidewall rigidity to enable proper weight transfer, leading to very little connection between road and driver. It's far from confidence inspiring, and extremely unpredictable. If your interested in a 260-300tw tire for our cars I would highly recommend getting Yoko v601s
Old 10-09-2023, 09:57 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by mezgermischief
PS4S is really poorly suited on our cars. It doesn't have nearly enough sidewall rigidity to enable proper weight transfer, leading to very little connection between road and driver. It's far from confidence inspiring, and extremely unpredictable. If your interested in a 260-300tw tire for our cars I would highly recommend getting Yoko v601s
Now that I've lived with the PS4S on my 997.2 GT3 for this entire summer, including 6 days on the back roads all the way down to, and including Back of Dragon / Tail of Dragon / Rattler, etc etc,... I have found none of the above to be true. I love them for my style driving, AND I also have found them to be much less temperature fluctuating than the Cup2's. The Cup2's would lose their heat so damn quickly when driving back country roads especially when you come to stop signs, stop lights, thru a small town & the like. The PS4S have a better temperature range for our east coast cool-air temps & this type of deep woods driving. And when I was on them hard in the twisties (once I understood how hard I could push them, and how they reacted to hard changes in direction), I became quite confident in them. I am happy with my decision. obviously other folks have different experiences,.. and maybe the Southern Cali guys have such high air temperatures, and hot asphalt to begin with, that they feel differently about this PS4S -verses Cup2 debate. But for our cool east coast temps, the PS4S is an excellent choice.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...3-touring.html
Originally Posted by seis-speed
Happy wife happy life….driving 991 back to back with my car *same road* 997 is more raw in every facet, including ride.
Sport 4s tires do soften things up, but look worse IMO and fluctuate temps much more than Cup 2.
Old 10-09-2023, 10:58 PM
vma1788
Rennlist Member

Received 368 Likes on 182 Posts

Yokohama Advan Ad09 now come in 245, 255 and 265/35 and 325. I may give them a shot. I really hate that tire sizing is not all equal the Cup 2 fill out the fenders so nice while some tires seem to run a bit small leaving the arch looking weak!
Elliotw44 (10-10-2023)
Old 10-10-2023, 09:39 AM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,199 Likes on 643 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve
my dealer said they will be getting S5's for repair orders on those new cars,... so yes he will get me a set. We're not expecting that to be until the Fall though.
so Im guessing this is the preferred option if I’m mostly in twisties and “it might rain”?
Old 10-10-2023, 08:18 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

that's what I was thinking, but I just could not wait till S5 came out,... especially in 19's. My dealer Parts Dept Mgr neglected to clarify, and so when I pushed a little harder on "when",.. he said "oh, well of course they will start out by building the 20's & 21's first since that's what all the new cars come with. The 19's may not be for another year or so. ugh. so I went with the 4S.
Old 10-10-2023, 08:50 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,994 Likes on 1,776 Posts

So apparently there is a Pilot Sport 5 and a then this new 5S. Is the MPS 5 available for the general public? I didn't see it on Tire track.

Quick Reply: Tire recommendations