Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS 3.89 R&P and 6th gear conversion..

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2024, 06:31 PM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

I recently did the R&P change but kept the stock sixth gear. Had some fun with my friend in his RS —
The following 5 users liked this post by francisluu:
craina (07-11-2024), DD GT3 RD (07-11-2024), Elliotw44 (07-10-2024), KingSize.Hamster (07-10-2024), SupraSaiyan (07-10-2024)
Old 07-10-2024, 09:09 PM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by francisluu
I recently did the R&P change but kept the stock sixth gear. Had some fun with my friend in his RS — https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuG8N6zq3fk
Can't wait to get mine in.

My car's in for coolant hose changes/welding + LWFW/Clutch/harmonic damper. Want to feel the LWFW impact first. Then do the R/P next round with LSD and any other items that pop up in between.

Does your car have any mod ?
Old 07-10-2024, 11:55 PM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KingSize.Hamster

My car's in for coolant hose changes/welding + LWFW/Clutch/harmonic damper. Want to feel the LWFW impact first. Then do the R/P next round with LSD and any other items that pop up in between.

Yeah, I actually went through a bit of a saga re: coolant. Car came with the lines pinned but started leaking so we welded them. Then the coolant cap became the weak point, then the head gasket :P

I've also got the RS 4.0 lightweight flywheel and clutch and a fluidampr, as well as a Guard LSD.
Old 07-11-2024, 01:55 AM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Yeah, I actually went through a bit of a saga re: coolant. Car came with the lines pinned but started leaking so we welded them. Then the coolant cap became the weak point, then the head gasket :P

I've also got the RS 4.0 lightweight flywheel and clutch and a fluidampr, as well as a Guard LSD.
Oh yikes. Well, at least it's all sorted now! Not sure if it's just the video or what, but even through a computer it sounds like it revs quicker than other base GT3. Everything seems to come much more quickly in your car. Mine is also red, so this video feels even more relevant to me lol
Old 07-11-2024, 12:00 PM
Ginnmillracing
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

@francisluu Beautiful looking track. Where is that?

Nevermind...I see now...The Ridge.

Last edited by Ginnmillracing; 07-11-2024 at 12:01 PM.
Old 07-11-2024, 12:01 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,027 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by Ginnmillracing
Beautiful looking track. Where is that?
That was my takeaway too. Somewhere PNW ? Ridge ? Jealous.
Old 07-11-2024, 01:02 PM
G80
Rennlist Member

Received 120 Likes on 56 Posts

Looks like a lot of fun out there, quite a technical track it seems!

Have done all of the mods, what's your impression. Is it better to do the flywheel or the ring and pinion or are they both well worth doing?

Old 07-11-2024, 01:13 PM
craina
Rennlist Member

Received 131 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by G80

Have done all of the mods, what's your impression. Is it better to do the flywheel or the ring and pinion or are they both well worth doing?
100% both worth doing
Old 07-11-2024, 01:25 PM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,027 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by KingSize.Hamster

Originally Posted by G80

I've also done ALL the mods on my .1RS, and it's just revelatory. Transformative in every way.

The flywheel will significantly improve engine rev speed (and acceleration) in every gear. The R+P, however, is the real differentiator. That's where you net the sensation of significant additional torque and improved acceleration. The flywheel contributes in part on acceleration, as it lessens drag on the drivetrain, but I imagine in objective measurement, it does fractionally as much as gearing.

The whole package together is wonderful. Would encourage anyone with the motor out to go ahead and do both concurrently. LSD on top is 🤌🏻
The following users liked this post:
KingSize.Hamster (07-11-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 06:01 PM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Yes, do it all! hah

I am a huge fan of driving cars with short gearing. You can just play with the engine and transmission more often and there's a better feel for speed and acceleration, both in literal terms (the car's faster!) but in sensation (you're shifting more).

The lightweight flywheel, though, was probably the biggest "experiential" change for me personally. The chatter, revs dropping faster in between revs, and the eagerness when blipping the downshifts. I always found the heavier flywheel harder to drive — I either don't blip gear changes with enough throttle or way too much. But that might just be me.

Doing both really completes the package and amps up the liveliness of the car by a lot.
KingSize.Hamster (07-11-2024)
Old 07-11-2024, 06:21 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 129 Posts

If you installed the harmonic damper it’ll probably negate most of the effect of LWFW besides the rattling.
Old 07-11-2024, 08:06 PM
Vocan
Rennlist Member

Received 289 Likes on 130 Posts

Yes, do it all! hah

I am a huge fan of driving cars with short gearing. You can just play with the engine and transmission more often and there's a better feel for speed and acceleration, both in literal terms (the car's faster!) but in sensation (you're shifting more).

The lightweight flywheel, though, was probably the biggest "experiential" change for me personally. The chatter, revs dropping faster in between revs, and the eagerness when blipping the downshifts. I always found the heavier flywheel harder to drive — I either don't blip gear changes with enough throttle or way too much. But that might just be me.

Doing both really completes the package and amps up the liveliness of the car by a lot.
Out of curiosity did you do anything with the cam bolts on your .2? Will likely be doing the r&p to the .2 at some point but with all the issues people seem to have with the cam bolts on the 3.8 specifically I’m hesitant to do that as well.
Old 07-11-2024, 08:59 PM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vocan
Out of curiosity did you do anything with the cam bolts on your .2? Will likely be doing the r&p to the .2 at some point but with all the issues people seem to have with the cam bolts on the 3.8 specifically I’m hesitant to do that as well.
Yeah, I had larger bolts installed. I *think* the Fluidampr is meant to help with this as well.
Old 07-11-2024, 09:28 PM
JGEMDOC
Rennlist Member

Received 192 Likes on 83 Posts

not that im looking for a reason to pull the engine, but as soon as it has to come out this goes in.
The following 2 users liked this post by JGEMDOC:
jreifler (07-12-2024), KingSize.Hamster (07-12-2024)
Old 07-12-2024, 02:40 PM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 730 Likes on 370 Posts

Awesome video @francisluu Interesting...you may be the first mezger owner I have personally heard of that has had a head gasket issue. That is not a common failure point on our cars! And I agree on the 3.89 r&p. That made about as much difference (seat of the pants) as my 3.9l build (glad I have both!).
KingSize.Hamster (07-12-2024)

Quick Reply: RS 3.89 R&P and 6th gear conversion..