Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

RS 3.89 R&P and 6th gear conversion..

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2024, 11:32 PM
00 Scrub
Instructor

Received 58 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by francisluu
Yeah, I had larger bolts installed. I *think* the Fluidampr is meant to help with this as well.
Fluidampr makes a crank pulley for the GT3 now? I thought only Dundon/ATI had the rubber o-ring based one. Where did you get it from?
Old 07-13-2024, 01:45 AM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 00 Scrub
Fluidampr makes a crank pulley for the GT3 now? I thought only Dundon/ATI had the rubber o-ring based one. Where did you get it from?
My mistake, it's the Dundon/ATI one.
Old 07-13-2024, 01:45 AM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ScottArizona
Awesome video @francisluu Interesting...you may be the first mezger owner I have personally heard of that has had a head gasket issue. That is not a common failure point on our cars! And I agree on the 3.89 r&p. That made about as much difference (seat of the pants) as my 3.9l build (glad I have both!).
My car has almost 70k miles and it's unclear how much (if any) it was tracked previously. Then I show up and beat the snot out of it and proooobably got what I deserved hah.
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Opinions needed. The R&P set has arrived. One of the “teeth” has a tiny little chip on it. Is this something I should be concerned about and send this back / claim insurance / reorder ?

It’s right next to the “8” in the photos below.

Thanks in advance

Old Yesterday, 11:17 AM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 527 Likes on 285 Posts

ugh. have no idea gear tolerances. maybe could dremel out the bur. i wouldnt put it in as is
The following users liked this post:
KingSize.Hamster (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM
jreifler
Rennlist Member

Received 1,027 Likes on 487 Posts

Originally Posted by KingSize.Hamster
Opinions needed. The R&P set has arrived. One of the “teeth” has a tiny little chip on it. Is this something I should be concerned about and send this back / claim insurance / reorder ?

Thanks in advance

That sucks, but don't even debate it. Brand new part = return / replace.
The following users liked this post:
KingSize.Hamster (Yesterday)
Old Yesterday, 01:04 PM
SiNzz
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

My car has almost 70k miles and it's unclear how much (if any) it was tracked previously. Then I show up and beat the snot out of it and proooobably got what I deserved hah.
Just curious - what were the symptoms with your head gasket? I've never heard of one failing on these cars.
Old Yesterday, 01:24 PM
powdrhound
Rennlist Member

Received 1,846 Likes on 1,081 Posts

Originally Posted by KingSize.Hamster

Thanks in advance
I've mentioned this before. The R&P (along with almost all gearbox parts) that come in from Porsche are very poorly packaged in very flimsy cardboard wrapping and a large percentage of them get damaged as a result during transport. I had both a R&P set and a 1-3 gears damaged when received from Porsche. I returned both and received replacements no questions asked. I know of others with the same experience. It's a huge waste of such expensive parts. For this reason I would go through a local dealer which makes the process very simple as you can closely examine the parts during pick up.

Although the damage on yours is minor, I would personally not install it. The forces that go through the pinion are huge and I see no reason one would want to install it with a stress riser already present.

Last edited by powdrhound; Yesterday at 01:32 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:44 PM
francisluu
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SiNzz
Just curious - what were the symptoms with your head gasket? I've never heard of one failing on these cars.
It was a process of elimination across a number of shop visits after a handful of track days. As context, the car came into my possession with the older (black?) coolant reservoir cap with pinned coolant lines.
  • Coolant cap was leaking, replaced with the newer (blue?) one.
  • Then, pinned lines started leaking. Welded them.
  • Then, small puddles of coolant would appear below the car in between sessions. I was also down on power (145MPH vs 149MPH on the front straight at The Ridge Motorsports Park in Washington)
  • Coolant started mixing with the oil
Old Yesterday, 05:43 PM
Wind911
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 129 Posts

It was a process of elimination across a number of shop visits after a handful of track days. As context, the car came into my possession with the older (black?) coolant reservoir cap with pinned coolant lines.
  • Then, small puddles of coolant would appear below the car in between sessions. I was also down on power (145MPH vs 149MPH on the front straight at The Ridge Motorsports Park in Washington)
Did you check the straightness of the cylinder heads while you were in there? Some 997.2 engines (base and RS) came with slightly warp heads from the factory and causing exhaust gas over pressurizing the coolant system. They often got misdiagnosed as weak radiator end tanks or coolant cap/resevoir, etc because the symptom is coolant leaking. You fix one weak point in the coolant system and it moves to the next…
Old Yesterday, 09:49 PM
KingSize.Hamster
Racer

Received 85 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by powdrhound
I've mentioned this before. The R&P (along with almost all gearbox parts) that come in from Porsche are very poorly packaged in very flimsy cardboard wrapping and a large percentage of them get damaged as a result during transport.
Oh right. Yes, I remember reading your post earlier. Anyway, lesson learned the hard way. Luckily didn't take apart the transmission this time round when getting clutch + coolant pipes done. I just ordered it this time to prepare for next major item (likely LSD).

Will just send this back and have them pack a new one over properly. If it fails second time I'm gonna have to order via dealer ya.

Thanks all
Old Today, 12:34 AM
SiNzz
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Ah, thanks for the info. That's a rough run of luck. FYI - black cap isn't OEM; they should be blue, and the latest revision would be the blue cap with part number ending in "004". I had an issue with my expansion tank cap leaking too (black cap on my "oem manufacturer" tank) and had to replace in favour of the updated blue cap as well. Luckily that was where the problems stopped.

Quick Reply: RS 3.89 R&P and 6th gear conversion..