Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Bucket seats and airbag coding

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2022, 09:41 PM
f50nut
Rennlist Member

Received 210 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Bucket seats and airbag coding

I'm attempting to DIY the airbag coding, but have hit a wall.

There are several threads about buckets and a few mentions of airbag coding, but I couldn't find a dedicated thread. Hopefully this can serve as a central source of info on the topic.

I opted for a set of heated, folding, 991 carbon bucket seats for my '07 GT3. I sourced them brand new from Carnewal. Install was a breeze and the big yellow connectors are plug and play. The black connector for power is not used so that can be zip tied and tucked away.

The passenger seat does not have a weight sensor so it must be coded out or you'll end up with an airbag light. This is where my issues started and they're still unresolved.

I'm attempting this with a Foxwell NT530.

When I first started the car after the install I was receiving several errors in addition to the airbag light...PSM, PAS, Gateway, PASM and POSIP (airbag) system faults. I think this was caused by disconnecting the battery. I cleared all of these but they would come back immediately on startup. ALL of these cleared on their own as soon as I drove the car, with the exception of 3 POSIP faults:

8040 Passenger thorax airbag incorrect coding
8056 AWS LIN, implausible signal
8055 AWS LIN, no communication

I have only been able to get the PASSENGER AIR BAG light on the center console to turn off. I still have one in the cluster, after trying all of the following:

In the coding menu, after selecting via VIN finder, select POSIP Control System

Passenger thorax airbag: NO
Passenger seatbelt buckle: NO
Driver thorax airbag: NO
Driver seatbelt buckle: NO
AWS: NO

Check for faults, clear all of them, turn off ignition, unplug Foxwell, start car. Airbag light flashes about 10 times and then stays on. I also tried this with only the passenger side settings, and also all of them one at a time, clearing faults each time.

Is this just not possible with the Foxwell NT530 or is there a simple step I'm missing here?

Last edited by f50nut; 11-06-2022 at 09:47 PM.
Old 11-07-2022, 01:35 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,661 Likes on 2,328 Posts

Program car to ignore seat belt latches, thorax airbags and AWS.
  • From the main PIWIS menu
  • Select POSIP
  • Select CODING
  • Scroll down the list to find entries for driver and passenger thorax airbags and turn them to off/no.
  • Scroll down to find entries for AWS and driver and passenger seat belt buckles. Turn all three of those off as well.
  • Save settings in the PIWIS
The following users liked this post:
ljmartyre (11-07-2022)
Old 11-07-2022, 11:35 AM
f50nut
Rennlist Member

Thanks Mooty. I've set all 5 of those entries to off/no and the cluster light is still on. Seems that the Foxwell NT530 might not be up to the task.

I'll keep trying and report back here if anything changes.

Curious if anyone here has successfully coded out airbags with a Foxwell.
Old 11-07-2022, 12:47 PM
Clifton
Pro

Received 65 Likes on 38 Posts

Bringing back an old thread from when I did a seat swap and deactivated passenger airbag notifications. Scroll to the bottom post #7.

Click here for thread
Old 11-07-2022, 03:43 PM
flat6fan18
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 122 Posts

I was going to buy the Foxwell for the same GT2 seats I plan on installing. I guess not haha

Will a Durametric work then? I thought I read in another thread that the Durametric pro may work? Otherwise, PIWIS.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:10 PM
3TG119
Track Day

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

the durametric works, i recently programmed my airbag light after installing driver and passenger fixed back seats
Old 11-07-2022, 10:30 PM
Wonderdan
Rennlist Member

Received 1,140 Likes on 612 Posts

Originally Posted by flat6fan18
I was going to buy the Foxwell for the same GT2 seats I plan on installing. I guess not haha

Will a Durametric work then? I thought I read in another thread that the Durametric pro may work? Otherwise, PIWIS.
works great… just be sure to use a burner credit card

http://www.piwis-tester-2.com/produc...cf30-complete/
Old 11-08-2022, 08:39 AM
f50nut
Rennlist Member

Foxwell customer support just sent me a new file to upload to the programmer. I’ll try that and report back.
Joe Cho (11-08-2022)
Old 11-08-2022, 10:10 AM
flat6fan18
Rennlist Member

Received 197 Likes on 122 Posts

Awesome, please report back!
Old 11-08-2022, 04:37 PM
SapphireGT4
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I used the same scan tool to code out my airbag light. It took several tries before the changes stuck. I had to recode like 3 or 4 times before the car finally submitted. No idea why. I think it might have something to do with the order each setting is changed and the settings reverting back. Just keep messing with it, thats what i did.
Old 11-08-2022, 04:50 PM
f50nut
Rennlist Member

Good to know. I'm going to revert the car back to original settings before updating the Foxwell, so might as well try it a few more times. I spent at least an hour over a couple of days toggling settings on and off with mixed results.
Old 11-08-2022, 05:18 PM
Clifton
Pro

Definitely share your findings. I picked up the Foxwell NT530 to use on my X5, but have done a few simple things on the GT3 (example over rev readout, reset service). I've noted that software updates are fairly frequent with Foxwell.

Never used it to code-out items so watching with popcorn. Also, have you tired doing one option at a time vs. all switches at once?
Old 11-08-2022, 08:28 PM
ljmartyre
Rennlist Member

Received 581 Likes on 202 Posts

Originally Posted by f50nut
Good to know. I'm going to revert the car back to original settings before updating the Foxwell, so might as well try it a few more times. I spent at least an hour over a couple of days toggling settings on and off with mixed results.
Please share your findings in the thread I’m linking if you can!
I tried to make it where all of this sort of info is consolidated for anyone looking to do this since there’s def an influx of people putting these buckets in their car of late.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ispreloading=1
f50nut (11-09-2022)
Old 11-09-2022, 01:08 PM
f50nut
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Clifton
Also, have you tired doing one option at a time vs. all switches at once?
I tried this last night in a variety of sequences. Seems like for each coding operation to be implemented, you have to backtrack to the main menu. Each time I did this, the car would cycle through another airbag check (lights on, dash light flashes ~10 times). In my case I'd to end up with the dash light on after this cycle, but the passenger airbag light on the console stays off. I think this is attributable to the AWS code line.

I just installed the updated file from Foxwell, which is showing up on the device with the same file number as the latest PORSCHE.bin file available via their updater. So, tonight I'll try coding again with the file they emailed me. If that fails, I'll update using their software updater and try again.
Old 11-09-2022, 04:12 PM
Clifton
Pro

Originally Posted by f50nut
I just installed the updated file from Foxwell, which is showing up on the device with the same file number as the latest PORSCHE.bin file available via their updater.
What version on your on? For the Porsche file, I'm on V2.01.006, but when I just checked a newer V2.07.002 was available. It appears there are several other new version for general files too.

Quick Reply: Bucket seats and airbag coding