Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Lightweight buckets w/occupancy sensor??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2011, 12:48 AM
Clifton
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Lightweight buckets w/occupancy sensor??

do they come with an occupant detection sensor when they are factory installed for non-us cars?

I installed as set of GT3 buckets and need to go to the dealer to address the airbag light, i.e., have the thorax airbag option turned off in the car's control module. I'm trying to determine if I should have the passenger detection sensor turned off as well or if there is a way to install the sensor.

In looking at the occupancy sensor on the A.S.S and folding buckets they both use sensors that mount to the seat frame (not in/under the padding like some cars). Since it does not appear to be a pressure sensor, it makes me wonder if they can be installed on the light weight buckets as well.

Can anyone with factory installed Carrera GT/GT3 Club Sport seats look under their passenger seat and confirm if you see a little black box ?

Thanks in advance.

Below are the seats I'm talking about:
Name:  IMG_0279.jpg
Views: 2208
Size:  43.7 KB

Occupant detection sensor under the seat of a GT2 style folding bucket (pic from Mikymu's DIY guide)

Last edited by Clifton; 02-09-2011 at 01:35 PM.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:33 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

bigelow might have sussed this out.

As I understand it, on the shell seats, it's just the seat belt buckle circuit -- there's not weight sensor for calibrating the timing/power of the bag for the weight of the passenger. In any case, on the 997, if you crash, the bags deploy regardless of the seat and seatbelt.
Old 02-09-2011, 01:54 AM
CRex
Rennlist Member

Received 377 Likes on 193 Posts

I've had the lightweight buckets on my euro 997.1RS taken out and there are no occupancy sensors. Period.

Some RoW cars don't even have the "passenger airbag off" light on the center console--reflecting different requirements re: airbag deployment...
Old 02-09-2011, 03:12 AM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. What to do?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:33 PM
Clifton
Pro

Thanks for the input guys!

Originally Posted by Carrera GT
As I understand it, on the shell seats, it's just the seat belt buckle circuit -- there's not weight sensor for calibrating the timing/power of the bag for the weight of the passenger. In any case, on the 997, if you crash, the bags deploy regardless of the seat and seatbelt.
Agreed - I'm with you in that the passenger will have an airbag if there is a crash with my current setup. What puzzles me is the nature of the sensor (not a pressure mat in the cushion like many US cars) and its use on US folding buckets, a shell seat derivative. If the sensor can be used on the folding buckets, then in theory the same technology should work on the euro lightweight seats.

At the end of the day I'm just looking to keep as much original functionality of the airbag system. I'm okay with turning things off, but if I can keep the occupancy system active, it may prevent accidental deployment down the road and/or potential insurance claim pitfalls.

Originally Posted by CRex
I've had the lightweight buckets on my euro 997.1RS taken out and there are no occupancy sensors. Period.
Good to know - thanks!!. Now I'm curious what Carrera GT owners in the US have under their passenger seat.

What is interesting is that the GT3 lightweight buckets I purchased have pre-drilled holes in the seat portion of the shell. That leads me to believe a sensor can be mounted and plugged in like the other seats available in US.

Originally Posted by silverboy
I have the same problem. What to do?
According to my local tech, one option is to deactivate the occupancy sensor altogether.

I'm not giving up on this one yet so I'll report my findings and part numbers if I can get things to work.
Old 02-09-2011, 07:40 PM
silverboy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Clifton. Please keep me posted. Useful thread - at least for me and others who have or will upgrade their seats.
Old 02-11-2011, 02:21 PM
Clifton
Pro

As an update to the thread or to enlighten those brave enough to use the search feature, below is summary of what I've found.

After much traversing through Porsche PET part numbers and diagrams, it appears that the occupancy sensor cannot be fitted (feasibly and/or seamlessly) to the lightweight buckets. Doh!!!

What I've learned:
The occupancy control unit is not a stand alone item of the occupancy detection system; originally I thought it was proximity sensor of sorts. Even though the control unit doesn't employ the use of a seat mat embedded in the cushions like many cars, it does use a pressure/weight contact to detect the pressense of a passenger.

The control unit accomplishes this by communicating with 4 inputs that sit between the seat rails and the adapter plate (enables seat to be bolted to rails). Each of the 4 inputs are several inches long and are about a half inch tall (almost looks like a rectangular magnet) and are located at each of the 4 corners of the seat. They are cleverly sandwiched in such a way that they recognize the weight of the occupant.

On the lightweight buckets, the adapter plates bolt directly to the seat rail; therein lies the rub. No space for the meat (pressure sensor) between two pieces of bread (rail & adapter plate).

While it may be possible to order the adapter plate from the folding buckets (which account for the sensors), that would come with its own set of parrels, 1) may not mate with lightweight seat mounts, 2) increased height, 3) infeasibility begins to mount. The scary unknown, even if you get all the parts mated, will it work - as in, will the car know when to deploy the airbag and when not.

That was enough for me to close the books on this experiment. To the dealer I go to disable:

From what I understand the PIWIS Settings are:

PIWIS main menu --> Select POSIP --> Select CODING --> Scroll down list and update the following entries:
  • Driver Thorax Airbag : No
  • Passenger Thorax Airbag : No
  • AWS : No

Below is the underside of a folding bucket with parts of importance highlighted (base photo credit to mikymu)
Name:  pict6048um9.jpg
Views: 1638
Size:  69.0 KB

Quick Reply: Lightweight buckets w/occupancy sensor??