Which 997 3RS do you prefer .1 or .2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2021, 10:44 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by JG 996T
997.2 RS I thought was 1500 global
You could be right and I have seen the 1500, 1600 and 1619, I took the middle ground. we both are using second hand info.
Old 01-08-2021, 10:58 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by RapidGT
Just a couple things:
I’m pretty sure the .1 RS did not have a sunroof only .1 GT3 had one. However, I believe the .1 RS did still have the roof rack mounting points which are “so” useful on a car like this. 🙄

I thought the PCCB’s remained the same between .1 RS and .2 RS. Just the steel brakes at the front changed from 350mm on .1 RS to 380mm on .2 RS. Could be wrong on this though.
You are correct for no sunroof, edited.

The .1 PCCBs are gen1, .2 is gen2

997.2 Gen2 PCCB

997.1 Gen1 PCCB

The following 2 users liked this post by FLT6SPD:
EMpunker (01-11-2021), RapidGT (01-08-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 11:02 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
You are correct for no sunroof, edited.

The .1 PCCBs are gen1, .2 is gen2

997.2 Gen2 PCCB

997.1 Gen1 PCCB
Interesting. Wasn’t aware of that, thanks.
Old 01-09-2021, 01:41 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

The 7.2rs is the materially better performing car to all other 7’s. I never had any of the vibration issues in 3.6/3.8/4.0, dmfw or lwfw. I never knew anyone personally that did. I’ve never used a mechanic that has seen the issue first hand but were all aware of it. That being said, there are plenty of examples on RL of it happening. I’ve never seen any conclusive evidence/opinion WHAT causes one vs the other to have issues, but plenty of theories about why 3.8/4.0/3.6/lwfw are more/less prone. Outside of the opinion that the 3.8 lwfw is most prone to vibration issues backing out fasteners (although some would say the 4.0 is and others say it’s less......so who knows), by almost every objective measure of how the machine reacts/performs, the 7.2rs is a meaningful step above the other 7’s. And then they just took that a step further on the 2rs and 4.0.

If you want confidence inspiring performance machine that still makes you work for it 7.2rs is the peak. All that being said, all these machines become less about performance and more about “feel” as they age. People don’t own a 73rs for how it performs; they own it for how it feels. I think I almost tend to like the feel of the 7.1rs out of them all, for almost completely subjective reasons. My one big knock on the 3.6 7’s is the suspension really gets flustered with any meaningful undulation.....like you just totally lose tire contact and it gets really unsettled. A lot of people mention gearing but meh, I can go either way. The long gearing with a little less torque and that sweet 3.6 makes for one of the most intoxicating, drawn out crescendos to redline I’ve ever experienced. The 4.0 and lower gearing got to RL so much faster sometimes it felt over before it started. That being said, you were almost always in the right gear/rpm with that car.......hence, subjective fun vs objective performance can be at odds at times. I could go through other little quirky things about the 3.6 that make it the charmer for me; none of them make it the better performing car but most of them causing it to be easier to access fun at reasonable speeds on street. For the track, hands down the 3.8rs is just head and shoulders better out of the box.

my analysis isn’t unique to 3.6 vs 3.8 rs. Each refresh/model pushes the performance envelope and gives me an initial RUSH of fun due to that performance envelope being extended. I admire that a similar feeling machine has taken yet another step in every performance category but somehow still feels connected to its prior gen/version. But that is the history of the entire 911 lineup. You can feel similarities in a 901 and a 992. The similarities get less and less and the performance gap wider but the lineage is still there. The real “fun” analysis for me starts to unfold over time as several better performing models get released and the RUSH of that 3.8 or 4.0 starts to fade as being “one of the best performing cars you’ve ever driven before”. THEN, for me I start to be able to really understand, “hmmm, which one FEELS the best, most fun, most comfortable, most accessible fun at sane speeds, most fun at all rpm’s/speeds, etc, etc”. EVERYONE has a different inflection point where the trade-off between performance and some other characteristic goes too far. For some, that is 356/901; 993/996 aircooled; 991/992 analogue gauges (that one makes me giggle ); 964/993 upright headlights; 73/74 impact bumpers; Hydraulic/electric steering; on and on. For some it is specifically at the 7.1rs vs 7.2rs where that trade-off gets out of whack for what they like.

they will ALL be clunky, slow and pains in the asses eventually. If you can, try to own them all at different times and figure out what you really like. Don’t worry about what some other RL yahoo says or the weighted avg collected opinion of the RL enthusiast mob says, because their criteria are likely going to be different than yours.

so, my earlier response was a LOT more concise: You really can’t go wrong with any of them and I still appreciate things I like better or worse on all of them.

Last edited by Jrtaylor9; 01-09-2021 at 01:44 PM.
The following 11 users liked this post by Jrtaylor9:
405 (01-09-2021), amerifrikaner (01-09-2021), BryanCO (01-17-2021), EMpunker (01-11-2021), fijibubba (01-09-2021), ForeverCar (01-09-2021), Hdizzle (01-10-2021), mclaudio (01-09-2021), RapidGT (01-10-2021), Suitcase (01-10-2021), SupraSaiyan (01-09-2021) and 6 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-09-2021, 02:05 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 663 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
The 7.2rs is the materially better performing car to all other 7’s. I never had any of the vibration issues in 3.6/3.8/4.0, dmfw or lwfw. I never knew anyone personally that did. I’ve never used a mechanic that has seen the issue first hand but were all aware of it. That being said, there are plenty of examples on RL of it happening. I’ve never seen any conclusive evidence/opinion WHAT causes one vs the other to have issues, but plenty of theories about why 3.8/4.0/3.6/lwfw are more/less prone. Outside of the opinion that the 3.8 lwfw is most prone to vibration issues backing out fasteners (although some would say the 4.0 is and others say it’s less......so who knows), by almost every objective measure of how the machine reacts/performs, the 7.2rs is a meaningful step above the other 7’s. And then they just took that a step further on the 2rs and 4.0.

If you want confidence inspiring performance machine that still makes you work for it 7.2rs is the peak. All that being said, all these machines become less about performance and more about “feel” as they age. People don’t own a 73rs for how it performs; they own it for how it feels. I think I almost tend to like the feel of the 7.1rs out of them all, for almost completely subjective reasons. My one big knock on the 3.6 7’s is the suspension really gets flustered with any meaningful undulation.....like you just totally lose tire contact and it gets really unsettled. A lot of people mention gearing but meh, I can go either way. The long gearing with a little less torque and that sweet 3.6 makes for one of the most intoxicating, drawn out crescendos to redline I’ve ever experienced. The 4.0 and lower gearing got to RL so much faster sometimes it felt over before it started. That being said, you were almost always in the right gear/rpm with that car.......hence, subjective fun vs objective performance can be at odds at times. I could go through other little quirky things about the 3.6 that make it the charmer for me; none of them make it the better performing car but most of them causing it to be easier to access fun at reasonable speeds on street. For the track, hands down the 3.8rs is just head and shoulders better out of the box.

my analysis isn’t unique to 3.6 vs 3.8 rs. Each refresh/model pushes the performance envelope and gives me an initial RUSH of fun due to that performance envelope being extended. I admire that a similar feeling machine has taken yet another step in every performance category but somehow still feels connected to its prior gen/version. But that is the history of the entire 911 lineup. You can feel similarities in a 901 and a 992. The similarities get less and less and the performance gap wider but the lineage is still there. The real “fun” analysis for me starts to unfold over time as several better performing models get released and the RUSH of that 3.8 or 4.0 starts to fade as being “one of the best performing cars you’ve ever driven before”. THEN, for me I start to be able to really understand, “hmmm, which one FEELS the best, most fun, most comfortable, most accessible fun at sane speeds, most fun at all rpm’s/speeds, etc, etc”. EVERYONE has a different inflection point where the trade-off between performance and some other characteristic goes too far. For some, that is 356/901; 993/996 aircooled; 991/992 analogue gauges (that one makes me giggle ); 964/993 upright headlights; 73/74 impact bumpers; Hydraulic/electric steering; on and on. For some it is specifically at the 7.1rs vs 7.2rs where that trade-off gets out of whack for what they like.

they will ALL be clunky, slow and pains in the asses eventually. If you can, try to own them all at different times and figure out what you really like. Don’t worry about what some other RL yahoo says or the weighted avg collected opinion of the RL enthusiast mob says, because their criteria are likely going to be different than yours.

so, my earlier response was a LOT more concise: You really can’t go wrong with any of them and I still appreciate things I like better or worse on all of them.
Wonderful assessment. The suspension story is very accurate. If you want some semblance of a smooth ride in town or bad roads 7.2 big upgrade over earlier cars. 4.0 just that much better than the 3.8 in smoothness. Best of all worlds? 7.2RS with modern passive suspensive from JRZ or KW with remotes and proper spring rates. Then you are set.
The following users liked this post:
fijibubba (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 05:20 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

^^^^^^
...or, 7.1RS with KW competition 3 way suspension

Thanks for the succinct writeup above. You nailed it here.... Cheers

Last edited by christallon; 01-09-2021 at 08:59 PM.
Mr. Adair (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 06:24 PM
fijibubba
Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 334 Posts

Such an in depth and informative assessment. I really appreciate you taking the time to share this information and your experience with us.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:47 PM
JG 996T
Rennlist Member

Received 539 Likes on 293 Posts

The long gearing with a little less torque and that sweet 3.6 makes for one of the most intoxicating, drawn out crescendos to redline I’ve ever experienced.
bingo - well said - this is what I meant by 3.6 sounds better.
Robocop305 (01-09-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 08:15 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by christallon
^^^^^^

Thanks for the succinct above. You nailed it here.... Cheers
Everybody is in love with PASM. It’s very old tech like a decade old. Fine on a table smooth track. But on Midwest roads no way. New PASM systems are much better. But nothing beats high quality passive for dampening.
Old 01-09-2021, 08:47 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

Sounds like if I ever go back to 7rs world, I should consider upgrading suspension. That was my fav part of 4.0 over the others; much more compliant suspension. The motor, while awesome I could take or leave. The suspension is pretty damn good at balancing feedback with compliance. 2rs was as well. 7-2rs was a decent car around town!
Old 01-09-2021, 09:05 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by christallon
^^^^^^

Thanks for the succinct above. You nailed it here.... Cheers
delete double post

Last edited by Mr. Adair; 01-09-2021 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 09:29 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Sounds like if I ever go back to 7rs world, I should consider upgrading suspension. That was my fav part of 4.0 over the others; much more compliant suspension. The motor, while awesome I could take or leave. The suspension is pretty damn good at balancing feedback with compliance. 2rs was as well. 7-2rs was a decent car around town!
Lots of personal preference involved in rating suspensions of course but the better 4.0 road compliance comes from those rose joints, spring rates, helper springs etc. not better struts. That’s why it’s better than the 3.8. Stock 3.8 isn’t terrible but I personally hate under damped cars, cars that knock the wheel loose in your hands over sharp edges or bounce your head off the headliner when your really driving hard on bad roads. Roads in cold weather winter states are terrible.

Last edited by Mr. Adair; 01-09-2021 at 09:30 PM.
Old 01-09-2021, 10:43 PM
SupraSaiyan
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 81 Posts

Very well said!
Old 01-10-2021, 10:53 AM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by fijibubba
So I've been watching the 997 GT3RS market for about 2 years. As of late (last 6 weeks) it seems more .1's have hit the market than .2's, and when I say more it's single digits. As I scour the interweb the same usual suspects have been for sale on the big 3 car sale websites for about as long as i've been looking. I'm shocked that as prices continue to rise they haven't sold, I would think the dealers would want to freshen up inventory and clear the books. Getting back on track, I love the look of both the .1 and .2, but admittedly have never driven a .1. I realize this is very subjective, but can I get some input as to which 997 RS is best to purchase and why? I'm not looking for a 4.0. I'm also not looking for this to be a garage queen. I plan on driving it a few times a week. My expectations are for a raw, visceral, and engaging driving experience. One that shakes me to the core and has my ears ringing with NA envy after a day in the canyons. I want to work for it and feel at the end of the day that i've earned my stiff forearms, sore back, and buzzing ears. Conversely, I also don't want to be plagued with maintenance problems after getting the car initially sorted out. I do realize the car is a decade old and inevitably I'm gonna have issues and that parts wear out. I just don't want to spend more time wrenching than smiling behind the wheel. I find myself drawn to the grey/black .2, but a .1 pumpkin or signal always brings a smile to my face. Thanks in advance for your time.
I've owned and driven both on and off track. This is not a fair question. The .1 is a very nice car. That's it. The .2 is 90% 4.0. I used to turn back and look at it (.2 3.8 RS) every time I drove it and wonder how could it be that good? There may never be agreement about which is the best NA Liquid Cooled 911. Some say R and others 4.0. They're different. But there's never an argument about #3.
Old 01-10-2021, 01:08 PM
Sword_of_the_Spirit
Banned

Received 114 Likes on 99 Posts

For those with the .1, a set of nicely done up Recaro Leathers do a nice job at enhancing the feeling. It’s mentioned, but not often understood that your “connection” to car isn’t what was done to the suspension, or other handle bits. When I drove one without a bucket, the loose feeling was stark. Mentally your trying to “hold” yourself in the seat. I’d wager when a handling test is sorted, the one with buckets (all other things equal, would win out). “Cockpit” setup is well worth the effort. I’d put that over a set of tires and other cushy bits. They’ll set you back 2k or more depending on the type, but why wait for a set of OE Buckets?

very few here or elsewhere take these across the paddock gate anymore. I see the .1 lacking really in only two distinct areas. Gearing, and Interior setup. Get those two sorted, and the experience is livened up exponentially!
Mr. Adair (01-10-2021)

Quick Reply: Which 997 3RS do you prefer .1 or .2?