Burning Brakes

Received 630 Likes on 334 Posts

Deleted
Old 01-06-2021, 03:36 PM
fijibubba
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Waxer
I can’t say which is more raw or “better” since I have never driven either. However, sentiment seems equally split. Many like the looks of the .1 more while they prefer the performance of the .2

I can tell you I got off the RS tread mill chasing the latest and greatest. Realized I was one of many Manchurian candidates programmed to “want” the next faster model that in reality could in no way deliver it’s designed performance on the street or any where near it without me flirting with jail or worse.

I realized the models I enjoyed the most were my 997’s especially my GTS. I still regret selling it to this day. I realized the way forward was going back.

From my reading the 997RS is the last of the true raw tactile driver’s car RS with its true rear engined Porsche design, last of the Mezger engined, hydraulic steering Porsche with three peddles, SM flywheel and produced in true limited numbers. I don’t think you can go wrong with either.

Buy the one that you prefer. Here’s mine. Expect delivery this weekend.
​​​​​​DefaultThanks Waxer. What you said makes complete sense and I completely agree with you. I've been following your news about the purchase of your new car over the past 10 days or so. Very very exciting. You really found a beautiful car. I absolutely love the spec. Please post a bunch of pics as you start enjoying it. Wow is it nice. Your old GTS was a real looker as well. Hopefully you are able realize the joy you felt in the GTS in your new RS. Many miles and smiles!
Old 01-06-2021, 03:37 PM
fijibubba
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Brandon_
I've never driven a .2 but I absolutely love my .1 ...its the best car I've ever driven/owned. Its the perfect size, looks fantastic and gives me all of the emotional feedback I'm looking for in an analog type car. As someone else said, I've been told by others who have driven both, that the .1 feels a little more raw.

I've had mine for almost 7 years now, at around 1,000 miles per year, and has only needed regular maintenance. My friend has a .1 also and he has almost 50k miles with basically nothing more than regular maintenance as well.

The green color is RS Green, color code 2D8.

Good luck in your search.
Brandon, thanks for your input. Wow that green dot one is stunning! I can't stop smiling just looking at it.
Old 01-06-2021, 03:44 PM
fijibubba
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JG 996T
I’ve own3d both. Still own grey black 3.8.

both are great.

I personally prefer the look of the 3.6 - mine was arctic / orange (rarest combo).
I have owned a few 911 turbos, and compared to a turbo car, it felt a little under powered.
the suspension was also twitchy at speed, which was alarming. It sounded GREAT - somet8mes I think it sounded better then the 3.8.

the 3.8 is a better sports car overall. The bump In horsepower and torque adds what was missing.
The downforce really helps with lateral acceleration- you can really move in this car.

”two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
and sorry I could not travel both...”
You will not regret either choice....
JG, thanks for the insight. I'm glad to hear that the bump in power is noticeable between the 2, and really fills in area that you felt was lacking. Thats important to know. Thanks for sharing the pics of both 3.6 and 3.8. Very nice! Any mechanical issues with the 3.8 or when owning the 3.6 that you've experienced? Is the 3.8 pretty reliable?

Last edited by fijibubba; 01-06-2021 at 04:17 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 04:05 PM
fijibubba
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by RapidGT
Have driven both, but about 10 years apart. So can’t really comment on the driving. But the gear ratios in the .2 RS are noticeably shorter than the ones in the .2 GT3 (I believe the gear ratios are the same between .2 GT3, .1 GT3, and .1 RS). Car picks up better in all gears than the .2 GT3.

I was in the same boat as you debating between .1 RS and .2 RS. I liked the colors better on the .1 RS (green and orange) and I think the look is overall more iconic. But, I remember when I drove one that it didn’t feel drastically different over a .1 GT3 which costs $50k less. In the 997.1 generation, the RS had the same horsepower as the GT3 (415 vs 415) and it was 44 lbs (20 kg) lighter. Plus a few others changes such a single-mass flywheel, C4S wide body, and unique colors with decals. Not as big of a change from GT3 to GT3 RS as we saw in the 997.2 generation and not nearly as much as we see today in the 991.

Plus, I thought going from a .2 GT3 to a .1 RS might have been a step backwards. With this in mind, I decided to go with the .2 RS. Just my two cents, but I wish you luck with your search.
Thanks for the response John,
I agree with what you're saying. I love the looks, colors, and the livery of the .1. It screams classic, in your face Porsche-icana and really draws those emotions out when looking and listening to it. Trying to decided between the two isn't a bad problem to have 👍🏻. I'm leaning towards a .2 as I'd like the extra bump in power and love the livery of it as well. Do you know of any problems with either one that may make one more sensible to buy they the other. With the .2 I'm aware of pinning the coolant lines and cam actuator bolt loosening. Do you know if the .1 has issues like this that I should address when looking for a car?
The following users liked this post:
RapidGT (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 04:11 PM
fijibubba
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by christallon
I just picked up my Pumpkin in May of 2020. Very very happy with it. The .2 was on my radar for a while, but ultimately, I preferred the wing on the .1, and the overall aesthetic of the car. Mine is set up aggressively with uprated suspension, 4.0 clutch flywheel, etc... It drives so well, and the fit and finish is just so right. It feels more like a vintage car, which I prefer. I came from a 996 GT3, which was quite a different animal. That car made you work for everything. Talk about feeling it after a long drive. Fantastic car, but honestly the RS is more my flavor now. I've not driven a .2 RS, so can't comment on the driving experience. I found the high wing, the center lock wheels, a little too much for me. IMHO, the 997.1 RS will go down as the last of it's breed. 997.1 RS for me, all the way, and yes the Orange is sublime. They nailed the color on this car, it's perfect, to my eye. Values are climbing very nicely too, at least currently.

Enjoy he hunt, whatever you choose will be great.
Chris, You are so right. The rear aspect of the .1 is flawless. I love the wing and ducktail. It really fits the entire ascetics of the car perfectly. Your Pumpkin is neck snappingly beautiful. These cars all really have a personality that speaks to the soul.
Old 01-06-2021, 05:12 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by fijibubba
Thanks for the response John,
I agree with what you're saying. I love the looks, colors, and the livery of the .1. It screams classic, in your face Porsche-icana and really draws those emotions out when looking and listening to it. Trying to decided between the two isn't a bad problem to have 👍🏻. I'm leaning towards a .2 as I'd like the extra bump in power and love the livery of it as well. Do you know of any problems with either one that may make one more sensible to buy they the other. With the .2 I'm aware of pinning the coolant lines and cam actuator bolt loosening. Do you know if the .1 has issues like this that I should address when looking for a car?
As far as I know, the .1 GT3/RS does not suffer from the cam actuator bolt problem. Only the .2 GT3/RS suffers from it. Had a .2 GT3 previously and did 15k miles in it. Never had this problem with the .2 GT3 and it ran like clockwork. The only running costs were fuel, tires, basic maintenance, and insurance.

The coolant lines have always been the Achilles heel of every mezger engine Porsche. Does not matter whether it is .1 or .2 RS, they all suffer from this problem.

Unless you are tracking a lot or daily driving it, I wouldn’t consider pinning the coolant lines something that urgently needs to be done unless you want the peace of mind. Can be done later on when the motor comes out for something else to save you the labor costs and hassle.

When buying a car, the coolant lines already being pinned is a nice to have, but not a dealbreaker for me.
The following 2 users liked this post by RapidGT:
fijibubba (01-06-2021), Robocop305 (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 05:18 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 491 Likes on 289 Posts

performance in each iteration of the GT3s improve with each new release

however the technology also continues to evolve and this is where things get tricky for many. people new to Porsche (and GT cars) tend to want the "fastest" or newest

I prefer the 997 platform, and I like the .1 (on my 3rd) - I know the .2 will perform better (specs-wise, not sure I'd be any faster) but the CL killed it for me. trust me, you will love either

The following 3 users liked this post by pissedpuppy:
908/3fan (01-08-2021), Dervish (01-06-2021), fijibubba (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 06:08 PM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 659 Likes on 296 Posts

I have had a .1 RS that suffered cam actuator failure and required engine replacement under warranty. It does happen (atleast once)but seems to be rare.

Originally Posted by RapidGT
As far as I know, the .1 GT3/RS does not suffer from the cam actuator bolt problem. Only the .2 GT3/RS suffers from it. Had a .2 GT3 previously and did 15k miles in it. Never had this problem with the .2 GT3 and it ran like clockwork. The only running costs were fuel, tires, basic maintenance, and insurance.

The coolant lines have always been the Achilles heel of every mezger engine Porsche. Does not matter whether it is .1 or .2 RS, they all suffer from this problem.

Unless you are tracking a lot or daily driving it, I wouldn’t consider pinning the coolant lines something that urgently needs to be done unless you want the peace of mind. Can be done later on when the motor comes out for something else to save you the labor costs and hassle.

When buying a car, the coolant lines already being pinned is a nice to have, but not a dealbreaker for me.
Old 01-06-2021, 06:16 PM
RapidGT
Rennlist Member

Received 2,473 Likes on 1,338 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
I have had a .1 RS that suffered cam actuator failure and required engine replacement under warranty. It does happen (atleast once)but seems to be rare.
I read that it is more common with the 3.8 vs the 3.6. I didn’t find a definitive answer to what exact models are affected and what/if anything can be done to help it. I’m not an expert on this particular issue so maybe someone could shed some light on it.

Last edited by RapidGT; 01-06-2021 at 06:19 PM.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:16 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,103 Likes on 546 Posts

I have owned 3.6/3.8/4.0 jelly beans and plain whites, Gt2/3, RS, multiple copies; 997 gt's were an affliction of mine. And I can say there are things about every single flavor that I like better/worse than the next. I'm w/out a 997 for the first time on long time. If I ever went back, I wouldn't shy away from any of them. I could write a paragraph of why I like each of them for their own unique characteristics. If you get a chance, try to own the 3.6 and 3.8. They are both amazing and flawed machines (in a good way).

You really can't go wrong.

Last edited by Jrtaylor9; 01-06-2021 at 07:17 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jrtaylor9:
bonehead (01-07-2021), jonwb (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 07:31 PM
Finlander
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 148 Posts

The following 2 users liked this post by Finlander:
fijibubba (01-06-2021), pissedpuppy (01-07-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 07:40 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,151 Likes on 2,155 Posts

Originally Posted by FLT6SPD
Camshaft actuator bolts backed out? Very interesting.

I think the larger displacement of the 3.8 combined with the LWFW is what typically causes the issue. But it sounds like the 3.6 can have it happen too. I've done a lot of research on the subject as I continually debate going to a LWFW on my 7.1 GT3, but it sounds like I'll stick with DMFW after your post. Granted, you can always put the Dundon Harmonic Dampener, but I'd rather just stick with the normal flywheel at this point.
Old 01-06-2021, 07:46 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,151 Likes on 2,155 Posts

My take is if you specifically really like the Gray Black .2 RS, go that direction. I think both are great cars. But I think if that is the one you like the most, if you end up with a .1 Pumpkin, you'll probably be thinking about the Gray Black car.

My favorite spec on any 997RS is the Pumpkin. I also don't need the quickest car out there, so for me the .1 would be fine. So I'd probably go in that direction if I was buying.

I wouldn't be super concerned with maintenance on either. My best advice, if you don't want to deal with as many maintenance items long term is right when you get the car, drop the engine, do the coolant lines and anything else that it may need in the next 5 years. Not because the coolant lines are going to fail on you right away, but simply because you're setting yourself up for an ownership experience that is mostly just oil changes.

Best of luck with whichever one you purchase. Enjoy it.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (01-06-2021)
Old 01-06-2021, 07:47 PM
fijibubba
Burning Brakes

Thank you all for your insight. I appreciate you taking the time to share your personal experiences. The pictures are all fantastic as well. This is all very helpful. Sounds like the right choice would be having them both.

Quick Reply: Which 997 3RS do you prefer .1 or .2?