Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Which 997 3RS do you prefer .1 or .2?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2021, 07:36 PM
XrussianX
Pro

Received 395 Likes on 175 Posts

@matt33
Good thing I had my headphones on. That was very easy on the ears. Does anyone else watch those rally GT3 vids on YouTube with a couple beers on deck? Hoping to get a chance to drive a .1 RS for comparison
Old 01-15-2021, 10:06 PM
Suitcase
Racer

Received 125 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
That’s an awesome experience to have first hand. I’ve been fortunate enough to be behind the wheel of some amazing Porsche, but 74rs, 993-gt2 and 959 are 3 I’ve never had the pleasure to drive that I wish I had. And I’m pretty sure you have owned at least 2/3.
You're correct. I've never driven the 993 GT2 Strasse. I've spent some time in '74 RS's. I almost purchased one in the mid '90's for about $60k. But I was very spoiled by my USA Cup...Euro 964RS. I remember spending the better part of the day driving the '74 all over Miami. The owner, who's still a good friend, begged me to buy it and put it away. But I just remember think it was fast and light but an old car. Shows you what I know. Of course, I was the 2nd owner of a 959 Komfort model and drove it almost as as daily driver. This was before "Show & Display" allowed the cars to be legal. I just slapped the dealer plate on it and no one bothered me. It even saw Target parking lot in Boulder more than once. The technology was very advanced for the electronics used...and somewhat quirky. The hydro-pneumatic suspension worked to lift the car but it was undrivable on a track. And I mean undrivable. The "S" model, which I have driven, has double coil-overs and totally fixes the suspension problem. Bruce Canepa repeatedly tried to convince me to change the suspension but I was steadfast in leaving it stock. The cars that were in the US at the time, although not legal to drive, were all S models so I thought this may be the only virgin Komfort in the US. After purchasing the car, it went to PCNA Training Center in Atlanta to get the ATE brakes sorted out. Then in Boulder, with a great old school Tech, we sorted out the rest of it.

The following 7 users liked this post by Suitcase:
405 (01-15-2021), fijibubba (01-15-2021), pissedpuppy (01-16-2021), point2point (01-16-2021), RAudi Driver (01-16-2021), rsierra (01-22-2021), Steve Theodore (01-18-2021) and 2 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 01-16-2021, 06:01 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,485 Likes on 796 Posts

Originally Posted by Suitcase
You're correct. I've never driven the 993 GT2 Strasse. I've spent some time in '74 RS's. I almost purchased one in the mid '90's for about $60k. But I was very spoiled by my USA Cup...Euro 964RS. I remember spending the better part of the day driving the '74 all over Miami. The owner, who's still a good friend, begged me to buy it and put it away. But I just remember think it was fast and light but an old car. Shows you what I know. Of course, I was the 2nd owner of a 959 Komfort model and drove it almost as as daily driver. This was before "Show & Display" allowed the cars to be legal. I just slapped the dealer plate on it and no one bothered me. It even saw Target parking lot in Boulder more than once. The technology was very advanced for the electronics used...and somewhat quirky. The hydro-pneumatic suspension worked to lift the car but it was undrivable on a track. And I mean undrivable. The "S" model, which I have driven, has double coil-overs and totally fixes the suspension problem. Bruce Canepa repeatedly tried to convince me to change the suspension but I was steadfast in leaving it stock. The cars that were in the US at the time, although not legal to drive, were all S models so I thought this may be the only virgin Komfort in the US. After purchasing the car, it went to PCNA Training Center in Atlanta to get the ATE brakes sorted out. Then in Boulder, with a great old school Tech, we sorted out the rest of it.

Thats really cool. Thank you for sharing.
Old 01-16-2021, 01:33 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

BALLER!
The following users liked this post:
fijibubba (01-16-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 08:10 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,050 Likes on 667 Posts

Originally Posted by XrussianX
Good thing I had my headphones on. That was very easy on the ears. Does anyone else watch those rally GT3 vids on YouTube with a couple beers on deck? Hoping to get a chance to drive a .1 RS for comparison
YES!!!!!

... sometimes I even drive my wife out of the house when I put it up on the big screen & pipe the audio through my high wattage sound system!!

I'm pretty sure my neighbors can hear it too

Last edited by bweSteve; 01-16-2021 at 09:48 PM.
Old 01-16-2021, 09:10 PM
christallon
Rennlist Member

Received 204 Likes on 136 Posts

^^^^^^
This!!! Me Too
Old 01-17-2021, 12:12 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts

Epic.
Old 01-18-2021, 01:57 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 629 Likes on 322 Posts

Whatever @Suitcase has in his suitcase, I want to get me some of that. Truly unreal, and thanks for sharing your stories with us.
The following users liked this post:
Suitcase (01-18-2021)

Quick Reply: Which 997 3RS do you prefer .1 or .2?