Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Coolant lines. Another question from 997RS newbie. Sorry.

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 10:40 AM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Received 816 Likes on 429 Posts
Default Coolant lines. Another question from 997RS newbie. Sorry.

My new to me 997.2 RS has 8700 miles, has not and will never see the track.

Should I get the coolant lines pinned? Do they have to take the engine out? 😬

I asked Isringhausen and they said it’s fine.
Old 12-26-2020, 11:35 AM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Waxer

Its kind of one of those questions where you have to ask yourself “is not doing it worth the consequences?”

Most of the failures do happen as a result of DE. But there have been documented failures on the street from non tracked cars. Personally I’ve seen a friend in his 997.1 dump coolant and it wasn’t pretty. Absolutely no control. Line popped over his tire and his car instantly went spinning. Luckily he didn’t hit anything.

Most likely for putting around town you’ll be ok. But I would definitely not disregard it. Put a little money aside and one day just do it. It’s around a 5k job. Just search for other things to replace “while you’re in there” and you’ll have the piece of mind.
Old 12-26-2020, 11:45 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,094 Likes on 2,115 Posts

On the GT3, you can get to the coolant lines without taking the engine out. You can technically pin in the car. However, I'd highly recommend removing the engine. This way, you can actually remove the line from the fitting, clean it, re-epoxy it and then put it back in the car and pin. You can also take this opportunity to service any other easily accessed items (coolant expansion tank, hoses etc) while the engine is out.

Regarding when to pin. If driving on street only, you can wait. If it's a car show car, drive around town car, you probably don't need to worry about it as long as you don't mind the potential of having to flat bed your car one day.

If driving hard on the street, I'd feel more comfortable pinning now. You don't want to be mid-corner on a tight back road and have coolant on your rear tire and spin off the road.

I know you said no track, but for others reading. If driving on track, 100% pin. If not for you, then for everyone behind you on track.

Some fail at low miles, some at high miles.

Last edited by Bxstr; 12-26-2020 at 11:53 AM.
Old 12-26-2020, 01:39 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Bxstr
On the GT3, you can get to the coolant lines without taking the engine out. You can technically pin in the car. However, I'd highly recommend removing the engine. This way, you can actually remove the line from the fitting, clean it, re-epoxy it and then put it back in the car and pin. You can also take this opportunity to service any other easily accessed items (coolant expansion tank, hoses etc) while the engine is out.

Regarding when to pin. If driving on street only, you can wait. If it's a car show car, drive around town car, you probably don't need to worry about it as long as you don't mind the potential of having to flat bed your car one day.

If driving hard on the street, I'd feel more comfortable pinning now. You don't want to be mid-corner on a tight back road and have coolant on your rear tire and spin off the road.

I know you said no track, but for others reading. If driving on track, 100% pin. If not for you, then for everyone behind you on track.

Some fail at low miles, some at high miles.
I chose to pin for this reason. Bought mine w 8k and pinned the lines at 10k. My motivation was a single track day at Laguna. I planned it as My first and only. I just couldn't stomach the thought of a failure. Now I'm enjoying the peace of mind the improvement brings on the street. Sharkwerks did my work and I opted for some additional enhancements while the engine was out. You can search my posts if you want more detail. GL w your decision.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:15 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Thanks guys.
Old 12-26-2020, 03:52 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 134 Posts

Mine is a street driven car. Had mine pinned and installed the Dundon dampener at the same time. Motor does have to come out.
I had a coolant line failure on my 997 turbo I think around 10k miles. Was never tracked up to that point. Was fortunately parked at the time that I noticed a massive puddle of coolant on the ground. Mileage probably a factor in most cases but if it wants to sh*t the bed, it'll do it regardless.
Old 12-26-2020, 04:57 PM
jasonturbo
Racer

Received 78 Likes on 28 Posts

Get the lines pinned, the car is expensive, the work is cheap.

I was once skeptical of pinning lines on street car, then I saw a low mile street driven car suffer coolant line failure.

Last edited by jasonturbo; 12-28-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-27-2020, 10:39 AM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

I had mine welded for piece of mind. No track for her either. IMHO engine needs to come out. Do sharkwerks elbows at the same time. I also did guards lsd and dundon harmonic dampener at the same time. Those are not obviously must do's.

Congrats. Need
Pics. Lol
Old 12-27-2020, 02:02 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

My first GT3 (2007), I was curious too - it had ~17K miles when I got it). My local dealer asked if I'd be tracking, I said no and they told me to not worry about it.

I think if you have failure on city streets, then you can address it.

Yes, it's a motor out fix, so perhaps address it if / when you get a new clutch (or upgrade to a 4.0L clutch kit)

I am on my 3rd GT car , this one a 2007 GT3 RS - it was owned by a Rennlist founder's wife as a track car, it has not had lines pinned/welded and I don't plan too either (unless I have an issue, or have an engine out service of some other sort).
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (12-27-2020)
Old 12-27-2020, 08:59 PM
Waxer
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by tasman
I had mine welded for piece of mind. No track for her either. IMHO engine needs to come out. Do sharkwerks elbows at the same time. I also did guards lsd and dundon harmonic dampener at the same time. Those are not obviously must do's.

Congrats. Need
Pics. Lol
Tas: will be street driven. Babied too. Will wait for a service to do it.

just don’t have the stomach to drop motor first thing.

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0715.mov (4.08 MB, 57 views)
File Type: mov
IMG_0716.mov (4.76 MB, 19 views)
Old 12-27-2020, 10:12 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 764 Likes on 389 Posts

What Tasman said. Dropping the engine is no big deal. Takes a good mechanic an hour or so to do it witht he right tools. I did the sharkwerks elbows, guards lsd, 4.0 clutch and dundon harmonic dampener. I also had all the plastic parts replaced and replaced the water pump as well IIRC. Been flawless for 2 years and 8k miles now including several track days. It gets driven more than my 991.2 3rs.
Old 12-28-2020, 11:20 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by tasman

Congrats. Need
Pics. Lol
I had the same work done at SWerks and I think some here helped me with my list of to dos.
Old 12-28-2020, 09:37 PM
Body In White
Rennlist Member

Received 376 Likes on 169 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
What Tasman said. Dropping the engine is no big deal. Takes a good mechanic an hour or so to do it witht he right tools. I did the sharkwerks elbows, guards lsd, 4.0 clutch and dundon harmonic dampener. I also had all the plastic parts replaced and replaced the water pump as well IIRC. Been flawless for 2 years and 8k miles now including several track days. It gets driven more than my 991.2 3rs.
If one is running a stock clutch is there any benefit to doing the dundon harmonic dampener while the engine is out?
Old 12-28-2020, 09:53 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 302 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by ryantt
If one is running a stock clutch is there any benefit to doing the dundon harmonic dampener while the engine is out?
What car and what flywheel? Stock GT3, no need. GT3 with LWFW or stock 7.2 RS, then yes.
The following 2 users liked this post by bonehead:
Burren (12-28-2020), FruitFly (12-29-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 10:43 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Tas: will be street driven. Babied too. Will wait for a service to do it.

just don’t have the stomach to drop motor first thing.
Easier to stomach when car delivered early January here in Wisconsin. Shop did during the frozen salty period. Did make for a long winter. Lol

Quick Reply: Coolant lines. Another question from 997RS newbie. Sorry.