Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Coolant lines. Another question from 997RS newbie. Sorry.

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 11:50 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 764 Likes on 389 Posts

This is an must do in my opinon. When I bought mine, I sent it to my local Inde the day after getting it. We found 2 fittings that were ready to blow. Not worth the risk. Definitely replace water pump and plastic/rubber stuff as well. I replaced main bearing seals as well. Ended up spenidng around $15k in my case (did 4.0 clutch, lsd and harmonic dampener since I track it) and has been great ever since.
Old 12-31-2020, 12:49 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,094 Likes on 2,115 Posts

Originally Posted by mnwild
On the topic of why any mechanic would say it's not a problem, I know I am being spiteful but here is my recent experience with one, you can't always trust even a "reputable" mechanic shop - I called a shop down here in the Tampa area of Florida called German Tech, spoke with Joe. Told him one of my lines popped on me and it's been repaired and system pressure checked all good but I'd like to get a quote on getting the rest done for preventative maintenance. He proceeded to question and argue with me as to why I would want to pin the lines if I had no leaks. I told him there was info all over the net and the Porsche forums as to why and even an article by Sharkwerks and he proceeded to ask me if I believed everything I read on the internet and said coolant lines popping apply to a very small percentage of cars, just like the IMS issue on non-TT/GT cars.

Joe was recommended to me by a few people in the area and had he not been an argumentative dick about it, I wouldn't be informing the Rennlist forum but that's what he gets for acting like an a$$. I wouldn't take my car to Joe at German Tech if you live in the Tampa area, guy doesn't seem to know what he's talking about and gives bad advice.

Just my experience here.
I've always gotten a good laugh out of this since it's happened to me. The typical response is what you heard, that it is all made up on forums and blown out of proportion. I know that a lot of people say IMS bearings don't fail. That's fine. But guess what, our family had our Boxster IMS bearing fail. New engine from the Porsche dealer at a ridiculous price and the car was back up and running, but it definitely happens. Then people told me that the DSG transmissions don't fail in Audi's. Well my S4 has a brand new transmission in it after it failed on me. $10k later for that one, but again, that apparently doesn't happen either.

I then walked into a new doctor about a month ago and they told me that diet doesn't solve a condition that I have and basically that you have to take drugs. I tried to explain that I have been on a diet now for 5 years and it definitely works. But they didn't want to listen to that either. I have spent 100+ hours researching diet and the connection to my condition. Even after 10+ years of med school, I doubt that they have done as much research as I have since I have the actual condition and want to know how to solve it, etc.

The good shops would want to learn more about coolant lines, not just blow you off and tell you not to do it, but that seems to be very common. If someone was saying they want coolant lines done, I wouldn't talk them out of it. That is business for my shop. If someone walked in and asked whether they need to get them done, the advice I'd give is that track yes. Street, yes, if it was my car. But you can wait. That way it wouldn't seem like I'm trying to sell them something.
Old 12-31-2020, 01:39 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 166 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by mnwild
On the topic of why any mechanic would say it's not a problem, I know I am being spiteful but here is my recent experience with one, you can't always trust even a "reputable" mechanic shop - I called a shop down here in the Tampa area of Florida called German Tech, spoke with Joe. Told him one of my lines popped on me and it's been repaired and system pressure checked all good but I'd like to get a quote on getting the rest done for preventative maintenance. He proceeded to question and argue with me as to why I would want to pin the lines if I had no leaks. I told him there was info all over the net and the Porsche forums as to why and even an article by Sharkwerks and he proceeded to ask me if I believed everything I read on the internet and said coolant lines popping apply to a very small percentage of cars, just like the IMS issue on non-TT/GT cars.

Joe was recommended to me by a few people in the area and had he not been an argumentative dick about it, I wouldn't be informing the Rennlist forum but that's what he gets for acting like an a$$. I wouldn't take my car to Joe at German Tech if you live in the Tampa area, guy doesn't seem to know what he's talking about and gives bad advice.

Just my experience here.
The shops in Tampa area are garbage. Ive gone to all of them. Its a situation of picking your poison. At this point I either go down to Palm Beach, or ship my cars to competent shops. Took me 10 years to learn my lesson. Once you find a shop you trust, no matter how far you are away, you send your car there for moderate to serious work.

Quick Reply: Coolant lines. Another question from 997RS newbie. Sorry.