Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

When to Replace Failure Prone Coolant Lines - 997.2RS

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2019, 07:38 AM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Received 181 Likes on 96 Posts
Default When to Replace Failure Prone Coolant Lines - 997.2RS

I'm seeking advice on if and when to get this preventative maintenance on my 997.2 RS. Currently has 7500 miles 2011 model year. I primarily use the car on the street and may do a track day or two per year.

The cost I was quoted by a very reputable outfit was 5k which labor accounts for $4500 due to the engine removal. I would also have the clutch disk replaced while the engine was off but that is not a critical replacement.

Based on the mileage, driving patterns and cost is this something you would complete now or would you wait for:

- failure
- a specific mileage or
- scheduled major service to complete.

There is a peace of mind component in getting the maintenance completed now but I also don't want to shell out several thousand if my car and driving patterns don't put the coolant lines at a high risk for failure. Thanks for the feedback.

Last edited by cajerseyboy; 08-22-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:04 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 773 Likes on 394 Posts

I took mine to the shop the day I bought it. I ended up doing a bunch of stuff while the engine is out. You can search it here. Mine was done a year ago. Totally worth the piece of mind. Mine was a 10k mile car when I got it last year.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:45 AM
ChrisF
Rennlist Member

Received 1,012 Likes on 378 Posts

If you track it at all, please have it done. If you had seen a 997 dump coolant on track or felt it first hand, you wouldn't even be asking. It's scary as hell. I'd never want to be the cause of someone else's accident based on a known, fixable problem.
Old 08-22-2019, 10:58 AM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

I don’t track. Waiting until weather gets colder to have the lines pinned and to put a preventative fix on for the harmonic/actuator issue. Around 10.5K miles on it right now.
Old 08-22-2019, 11:10 AM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is JoeJenie’s thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...ngine-out.html
Old 08-22-2019, 12:04 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 3,116 Likes on 2,130 Posts

Since you track, do it now. Otherwise, I would do it when you are about to do a major service like spark plugs, coils, or need a new clutch.
Old 08-22-2019, 02:19 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Don't track without them pinned:welded. I haven't tracked mine but got them welded as soon as I got it along with a few other things while I was in there
Old 08-22-2019, 02:20 PM
nad617
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Please also be aware that more clubs especially PCA chapters require proof of coolant line fix as well as replacement of the 2 plastic elbow connectors in order to attend DE’s. I was at mid ohio pca’s event at Indy a few weeks ago and proof was mandatory!
Old 08-22-2019, 02:42 PM
SupraSaiyan
Rennlist Member

Received 150 Likes on 80 Posts

I had all the preventative maintenance done shortly after I got mine. Had lines pinned, Sharkwerks coolant pipes, new RS 4.0 clutch, flywheel, all new bolts/nuts for clutch work, Dundon harmonic dampener, new expansion tank, and a bunch of hoses and o-rings.
Old 08-22-2019, 04:09 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Failure of the OEM coolant pipe fittings is simply not predictable. I know of one 997 GT3 that had a failure at 10k miles with virtually no track time. There are others that have never failed, even with lots of track miles. It's a game of Russian roulette.

Failures on the track get the most attention because the consequences can be catastrophic but these fittings have been known to fail on the street, too. If you ever sell the car, having welded or pinned fittings becomes a strong selling point.
Old 08-22-2019, 08:40 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by joejenie
Totally worth the piece of mind.
After reading these responses I'm in agreement 100%. Glad everything worked out with SW. That is who I would contract with for the maintenance.

Originally Posted by ChrisF
If you track it at all, please have it done.
Agreed

Originally Posted by QueueCumber
I don’t track. Waiting until weather gets colder to have the lines pinned and to put a preventative fix on for the harmonic/actuator issue.
Can you elaborate on this issue?

Very helpful thread to build out other items to complete while the engine is out.

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Since you track, do it now.
Holding off on track for now. I race with a lemons team so I have a track alternative. Although the 84 camero handles quite differently than the RS

Originally Posted by tasman
Don't track without them pinned:welded. I haven't tracked mine but got them welded as soon as I got it along with a few other things while I was in there
Yep

Originally Posted by nad617
Please also be aware that more clubs especially PCA chapters require proof of coolant line fix as well as replacement of the 2 plastic elbow connectors in order to attend DE’s. I was at mid ohio pca’s event at Indy a few weeks ago and proof was mandatory!
Haven't heard of that one but it makes sense.

Originally Posted by SupraSaiyan
I had all the preventative maintenance done shortly after I got mine. Had lines pinned, Sharkwerks coolant pipes, new RS 4.0 clutch, flywheel, all new bolts/nuts for clutch work, Dundon harmonic dampener, new expansion tank, and a bunch of hoses and o-rings.
How is the new clutch and flywheel? Dundon harmonic dampener?

Originally Posted by Jake951
Failure of the OEM coolant pipe fittings is simply not predictable. I know of one 997 GT3 that had a failure at 10k miles with virtually no track time. There are others that have never failed, even with lots of track miles. It's a game of Russian roulette.

Failures on the track get the most attention because the consequences can be catastrophic but these fittings have been known to fail on the street, too. If you ever sell the car, having welded or pinned fittings becomes a strong selling point.
All great points.

Thanks fellas. This is a high priority with road driving and mandatory before heading to the track. I'm on the list at SW for December or January depending on their current backlog.

While I wait did anyone install the SW tune that increases HP by 15? I am considering this as well. Thanks
Old 08-22-2019, 09:31 PM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 293 Likes on 148 Posts

29,000 miles on mine...hard miles (27,000 track)

no pinned lines

I don’t track it anymore so wait til they pop
Old 08-23-2019, 12:21 PM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,665 Likes on 773 Posts

If you go to the track before pinning, at least run water wetter.
Old 08-23-2019, 12:34 PM
911mhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Like everyone else said on tracking.
Regardless of others protection, spending $5-10k on your car may save it from a mishap and a much bigger loss.
Next buyer will ask if you sell, might as well do them.

Oh yea, hey, when you have them done, you can feel confident using the car for real!
Old 08-23-2019, 12:57 PM
cajerseyboy
Banned

Originally Posted by Izzone
29,000 miles on mine...hard miles (27,000 track)

no pinned lines

I don’t track it anymore so wait til they pop
What month and year was your car produced? Mine was fairly late 2011 model year. Any indication that this issue was known to Porsche and they fixed it in the late production runs?

Quick Reply: When to Replace Failure Prone Coolant Lines - 997.2RS