Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

When to Replace Failure Prone Coolant Lines - 997.2RS

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2019, 10:52 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 136 Posts

Originally Posted by kyrocks
If your car has a CPO warranty will PCNA do the cam actuator and coolant lines?
just wondering.
Preemptively? Don't see that happening. But if someone has managed to get that done under CPO, let me know!
Old 11-10-2019, 11:15 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Received 407 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by bonehead
I don't have personal experience with the dampener. I did almost buy a 997.2 GT3RS about 3 years ago that had the cam shaft actuator bolts let go requiring a new motor (not disclosed to me but found out through some research on this forum...but that's another story).I do, however, have 1st hand experience with a failed coolant pipe on my previous 997TT.

The bolts backing out is the one catastrophic failure that I worry about (perhaps unnecessarily) that could be averted by wiring the bolts and installing the dampener. If/when it's time to pull my motor, I'm going to do it.
Was that my old 2010 white/red GT3 RS ?
Old 11-10-2019, 11:16 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Preemptively? Don't see that happening. But if someone has managed to get that done under CPO, let me know!
I thought I read ElectronMike in Austin got it covered by CPO.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:19 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Was that my old 2010 white/red GT3 RS ?
Yup. Don't recall how I found out you were the previous owner, but I tracked you down here. The guys you sold it to never disclosed this info and only admitted to it after I confronted them.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:35 PM
kyrocks
Rennlist Member

Yup. Don't recall how I found out you were the previous owner, but I tracked you down here. The guys you sold it to never disclosed this info and only admitted to it after I confronted them.
Wow. I’m sorry. I sold it to a private buyer who later sold it to/listed it with a used car dealer. I took great care of that car, but it definitely had an engine replacement under warranty. I’m glad you found out sooner rather than later.
Old 11-10-2019, 11:44 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Wow. I’m sorry. I sold it to a private buyer who later sold it to/listed it with a used car dealer. I took great care of that car, but it definitely had an engine replacement under warranty. I’m glad you found out sooner rather than later.
No worrries, man. Not your fault at all. I'm just glad I was able to track you down here to confirm the info.
The new motor, which supposedly had measure taken to address any potential future bolt issues, wasn't even the dealbreaker. I just may have negotiated for a lower selling price. But the fact that they gave me an unequivocal 'no' when I specifically asked if there were any known 'major' issues with the car made me think they could be hiding a lot more. I was literally on the verge of transferring money to buy that car.

Quick Reply: When to Replace Failure Prone Coolant Lines - 997.2RS