Sponsored by:

Leatherique? Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 07:35 PM
docboss
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leatherique? Please help.

I recently purchased a Leatherique kit, including the Pristine Oil and Rejuvenator. Great products. Following instructions, everything went great on my wife’s Lexus and most of my 997 Porsche. However, after application of the Rejuvenator, and five hours in the heat, an orange sized dark spot appeared on the passenger seat. I am the second owner of the car and have little knowledge of its previous history. The spot

is raised a bit from the surrounding area and feels stiffer and slightly tackier than the surrounding leather.
My suspicion is that something flew out of the notoriously poor 997 cup holder onto the seat. It was wiped but also soaked into the leather and or the seat padding. Use of the Pristine Clear did not remove it. I applied copious amounts of warm, clear water, with a light mostly blotting action with little success.
What do I do now?
If this is a sugared soft drink stain, what should I do?
If this is some sort of dairy drink stain, again, what should I do?
Before and after images enclosed. Hope they work. https://rennlist.com/forums/graemlins/bigcry.gif
Thanks, Doc.

Old 07-08-2017, 08:09 PM
OKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 53 Likes on 41 Posts

no guarantee it will ever come out. try washing the panel with hot water and simple green or 409, fantastic, etc. See if you can fully wash it out. If you get it out then you can put your leather products on it. If it wont come out you will have to recolor the panel with a product like sem
Old 07-08-2017, 08:25 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 84 Likes on 68 Posts

I thought this is what the Rejuvenator was supposed to do (draw contaminants to the surface), followed by use of the Pristine Clean?
Old 07-08-2017, 09:07 PM
ervin881
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would try more rejuvenator. Then more. Then. More again. When the orange stuff stops surfacing you can quit and clean it with the Prestine Clean. It worked for me with a soft drink stain.
Old 07-08-2017, 11:09 PM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

Try dawn soap in warm to slightly hot water.

If you can't get it out, dark leather is easy to dye again.
Old 07-09-2017, 12:17 AM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:33 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 06:43 PM
docboss
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will probably make appointment with local auto leather repair shop that does work for Lambo, Mercedes and BMW dealers in town as well as some classic car shops. Upon seeing the images, he believes it was previous damage that was fixed. Probably need to strip that panel, re-dye then reseal. He claims he can match the color as there is a distinct dye for my model. We shall see. I also will discuss his ideas on the dreaded inner door sill issue. Quote cost for seat $250. I shall let you know how it goes. BTW, he does not recommend Leatherique. Curious.
Old 07-09-2017, 09:05 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by docboss
I will probably make appointment with local auto leather repair shop that does work for Lambo, Mercedes and BMW dealers in town as well as some classic car shops. Upon seeing the images, he believes it was previous damage that was fixed. Probably need to strip that panel, re-dye then reseal. He claims he can match the color as there is a distinct dye for my model. We shall see. I also will discuss his ideas on the dreaded inner door sill issue. Quote cost for seat $250. I shall let you know how it goes. BTW, he does not recommend Leatherique. Curious.
Good to hear that you may have found the problem. The price seems a bit high for just a panel, but perhaps not if the tech you're using fixes the problem and makes what looks like a perfect interior, perfect again.

Your seats have ventilation, no? If yes, I tend to agree with the leather tech that there is a better product than Leathertique to clean (and treat if necessary) seats with seat ventilation. For some reason, I think that Leathertique may gum up the ventilation holes.

(That said a friend with a 997.1TT with non-ventilated seats swears by Leathertique so I'm sure that it is first rate, just perhaps not on ventilated seats.)

I've minimally used a simple Farnam leather cleaner from the tack trunk on the driver's seat. I've only had to spot cleaned a small area using that product and it worked as I knew that it would. Knock-on-wood, the seats and all of the other leather is perfect, even with nearly 70K on the vehicle.

I did get some Wolfgang conditioner and will test soon.

FWIW, on the subject of leather care: I was advised to use only water on my air-cooled leather dash and I've continued that practice with the 997. A damp cloth works well enough (perfectly over 200K miles in the SC!), but I almost can see a minimal fade on the 997's dash, so I may try a bit of the Wolfgang or Farnam cleaner; there has to be contaminants that have settled on the dash (and probably everywhere else).

Good luck with the seat and make sure that you close the loop after it's resolved and mention the shop that repaired it...
Old 07-09-2017, 09:57 PM
Mumbles
Drifting

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

If some type of fluid has saturated the seating area it may take a few applications of leather cleaner to get the leather visually back to uniform.

Personally, I've only had good results with leatherique products, and continue to use them
Old 07-09-2017, 10:07 PM
1990nein
Pro

Received 34 Likes on 13 Posts

--

Last edited by 1990nein; 11-01-2020 at 04:33 AM.
Old 07-09-2017, 10:32 PM
kellen
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 382 Likes on 247 Posts

Same thing happened with me. Bought used 997 and leatheriqued the seats. Sure enough the bolster looks worse as I think it stripped the dye. Boo. Passenger seat looks great and I guess that shows how well leatherique works.
Old 07-11-2017, 11:04 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Leatherique works fine on ventilated seats but you have to be much more careful about how much product you apply to the perforated areas. On solid leather, you really slop it on. On perforated leather, you have to use much less and sometimes reapply another light coat before you're done.

As for the OP's stain, I concur with the opinion that the PO stained the seat (the stain is right between the legs of a careless passenger), dyed it, and the Leatherique "cleaned" the dye off.
Old 07-12-2017, 03:01 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

You have to be really careful what you use to clean re-dyed leather. The "dye" used on modern upholstery is actually a form of paint that adheres to the surface, and any product with any type of solvent will attack the re-painted areas, or at least make it so tacky you then have to re-do the dye job.

Leatherique's Pristine Clean will attack those dye-paints. The best thing is to use water and perhaps a little mild soap. I got some of THIS because I buy my dyes from them and they said their cleaner was safe to use. I haven't used it yet though.
Old 07-12-2017, 04:21 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have tried leatherique a few times and have not had good results

My detailer does not use it and does not recommend it either

OP- hope that you get your seat fixed to your satisfaction
Old 07-12-2017, 05:12 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Backmarker
I have tried leatherique a few times and have not had good results

My detailer does not use it and does not recommend it either
I am curious to know what you don't like about it. I'm not trying to be argumentative, I'm just curious.

Usually, cleaning/detailing products make crazy claims about how well they work and then let me down. There is a very short list of products that I recommend without reservation. Leatherique has worked so well for me that it's on that short list. But, like every product, YMMV.

On a side note, the cleaner is called Prestine Clean. Not Pristine. As well as the stuff works, its makers apparently can't spell.

Quick Reply: Leatherique? Please help.