Sponsored by:

Leatherique? Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 12:14 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

Originally Posted by Rampage
From what I read, I didn't think you were supposed to condition the leather on the dash or doors since it was specially dried to prevent shrinkage etc.?

I'm interested to know, I need to do the leatherique on the natural brown interior of my recently acquired 997. Although a messy process, I've had great results using leatherique on my E90 BMW with the Oyster leather.
Where did you read that? I've never heard of such a thing.

If anything, the leather on dashes and doors needs special attention because it gets more sun and abuse. I have 68k miles on my car and the dash and doors look like new--even on the top of the driver's side door where I habitually rest my left arm.
Old 08-05-2017, 01:14 AM
Rampage
Racer

Received 40 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceter
Where did you read that? I've never heard of such a thing.

If anything, the leather on dashes and doors needs special attention because it gets more sun and abuse. I have 68k miles on my car and the dash and doors look like new--even on the top of the driver's side door where I habitually rest my left arm.
Exactly my concern, especially with a cab and the exposure to the elements, I was going to use leatherique on my entire interior.

But there's actually quite a few threads on here and other forums that state the opposite and that the leather is dried to prevent movement, and that adding moisture back in can cause issues. Not sure which way to go ...
Old 08-05-2017, 01:38 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Exactly my concern, especially with a cab and the exposure to the elements, I was going to use leatherique on my entire interior.

But there's actually quite a few threads on here and other forums that state the opposite and that the leather is dried to prevent movement, and that adding moisture back in can cause issues. Not sure which way to go ...
That seems to be the case.
Old 08-05-2017, 06:20 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Received 462 Likes on 271 Posts

I heard the same thing. Hopefully we can get an expert onboard to chime in.
Old 08-07-2017, 11:56 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Received 413 Likes on 243 Posts

I would be interested in reading about the dash and door leather issue. I have never heard of such a thing and considering the fact that every cracked dash (leather AND vinyl) I have ever seen was due to contraction from drying out, I really have a hard time believing that keeping those pieces in good nick will shorten their lives.

If it helps anyone decide, I can throw out one data point... . My car lives in a heated/air conditioned garage overnight and all day is parked in a non-climate controlled garage. But, I have 68k miles on my car, drive it almost every day and if the temperature is above 40, my top is down on every trip. I have treated my interior leather (including dash, door panels and side panels in the back seat) with Leatherique (and nothing else) on three separate occasions over the last two or three years. My leather looks new. There is no evidence of expansion, shrinking, wrinkling or any other cosmetic changes.

I will certainly update the group if such a thing occurs. I am not an expert detailer, but I can confidently say that I know more about cars than about 99% of the people I encounter over the course of a day. I have restored several classic cars and trucks and keep up a veritable fleet of family cars. I freely admit that I am occasionally surprised by new information and that I still have things to learn. But for now, it is my learned opinion that the worst thing that can happen to a piece of leather or vinyl that is exposed to the sun is allowing it to dry out.

I can see how over-treatment with some products could let the leather swell and wrinkle, and even soak through and break the bond between the leather and the hard backing it's mounted to. What seems to be the issue with dashes?
Old 09-25-2018, 01:26 AM
jamesn25
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dye removed

I have just had a similar issue with leatherique pristine clean removing the blue dye from leather on my 1987 Porsche 928
Old 09-25-2018, 08:51 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 136 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesn25
I have just had a similar issue with leatherique pristine clean removing the blue dye from leather on my 1987 Porsche 928
Are you sure its the dye? I know my yellow microfiber cloths look blueish when I wipe down the seat with PC....just seems like dirt to me

Quick Reply: Leatherique? Please help.