997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leatherique? Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2017 | 06:33 PM
Backmarker
Burning Brakes

Happy to share. Followed the directions, larded it on all over. My car has leather everything, tons of exclusive leather everywhere.

I then park in the sun for 8 hours, windows closed. Steam bath ensues (CA sun!)

Once sun goes down I follow directions. Car is seemingly no cleaner, and removing all the gunk/product takes hours. On second application I have up and took to my detailer to remove all the residual leatherique. He said don't use this stuff.

Bummer as I bought the big kit on Amazon, will like give it away at the next C&C
Old 07-12-2017 | 09:16 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Yeah, that would sour me on it, too. Definitely an atypical result, although it sounds like you did what the instructions say.

Too bad I don't live near you, I'd definitely take the extra off of your hands.
Old 07-29-2017 | 10:28 AM
docboss
Intermediate

After two attempts at stripping, re-dyeing, and resealing, the spot is still slightly visible. Most folks would says it' "ok" but in bright sunlight it's not up to my standards. Next step, replacing the leather panel on the seat with "Porsche replacement" leather. Price is going up as you would expect.
I also had the dreaded inner door sills resurfaced. They look great but the new finish is more matte black than the original. I'm ok with it. The shop said to expect to redo this every couple of years, as I will likely just mark them up again. No protective covering that they can recommend. This is the cost of Porsche ownership if you are very particular.
Just put new N2 spec Michelins on the rear and a proper alignment. PDK and oil service is next, ($$$$) but repair and maintenance is still lower than my x5 diesel.
Old 07-29-2017 | 10:49 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by docboss
After two attempts at stripping, re-dyeing, and resealing, the spot is still slightly visible.
Depending on how much money you want spend, there may be another way.... try a dismantler for the whole seat of just the panel. Give an email or a call to Parts Heaven, Oklahoma Foreign, or DC Automotive.... see what they have. Plenty of perfect cars get smashed up. Let us know what you do and what it costs...... posts like yours are very helpful to all of us.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 07-31-2017 | 12:16 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by Backmarker
Happy to share. Followed the directions, larded it on all over. My car has leather everything, tons of exclusive leather everywhere.

I then park in the sun for 8 hours, windows closed. Steam bath ensues (CA sun!)

Once sun goes down I follow directions. Car is seemingly no cleaner, and removing all the gunk/product takes hours. On second application I have up and took to my detailer to remove all the residual leatherique. He said don't use this stuff.

Bummer as I bought the big kit on Amazon, will like give it away at the next C&C
I also did not know how to properly use Leatherique until I learned from the video below. Leatherique Rejuvenator takes more than 8h, 3 days is more like it. Once Rejuvenator does its work, it's a mix of warm moist towels and Prestine Cleaner and that step is very quick. Check this video:

The following users liked this post:
saveferris199 (09-23-2022)
Old 07-31-2017 | 10:23 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Have you guys tried this on the leather dash and side panels?
Old 07-31-2017 | 10:49 PM
Domer911
Rennlist Member

I use goof off. Seriously.

If you have a guy who can re-dye the seat for a quoted price that's acceptable to you, then you have a free pass to try any or all of the methods suggested in this thread, right? Nothing to lose. Have fun!
Old 08-01-2017 | 02:02 AM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by Robocop305
Have you guys tried this on the leather dash and side panels?
Yes, and it worked very well. I have the full leather option so my car has a lot of hides that need taking care of.
Old 08-01-2017 | 10:00 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

I would give Leather Master product a try as well before replacing leather or seats. This stuff is apparently supposed to be safe on perforated leather/ventilated seats and the soft cleaner will apparently also clean out the perforated holes which causes the appearance of spotting when they get dark.

I used Mequires Gold Class leather cleaner and conditioner and it actually caused some spotting or discoloration as well. I believe I also saw a product on leather Masters that was intended for this very issues.

The spew remover may be designed to address exactly what you are experiencing.

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Leat...r-p/lmspew.htm

You may even want to step up to the Leather Master Foam. I am using soft cleanser as much issues are very subtle and I don't want to risk damaging the dye.

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Leat...er-p/lmsoc.htm

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Leat...-p/lmfc400.htm

Some on here and other Porsche boards have said the foam worked great and removed spots from perforated leather seats that looked as bad as yours.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...eat-spots.html

You apparently need to follow up the cleaners with this conditioner to restore natural look as the cleaners will cause a matte look.

http://www.leatherworldtech.com/Leat...al-p/lmvit.htm
Old 08-01-2017 | 10:27 PM
Robocop305
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Iceter
Yes, and it worked very well. I have the full leather option so my car has a lot of hides that need taking care of.
Thanks, I may try using it but I'm afraid about the dye coming off. I had some areas of the bolsters re-dye.
Old 08-02-2017 | 12:01 PM
Iceter
Drifting

Originally Posted by Robocop305
Thanks, I may try using it but I'm afraid about the dye coming off. I had some areas of the bolsters re-dye.
Well, after reading through this thread, I would definitely be concerned about using any cleaner on leather that had been re-dyed.

But using Leatherique on original Porsche leather is perfectly safe. My car not only has the all-leather option but it has natural leather. I was concerned about using the product on the natural leather, but after testing it, I found the product worked very well.

I have used it two or three times on the entire interior and have been very pleased with the results. It not only cleans, but removes shiny spots and leaves the leather with its original semi-gloss sheen.
Old 08-02-2017 | 01:17 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Well, after reading through this thread, I would definitely be concerned about using any cleaner on leather that had been re-dyed.

But using Leatherique on original Porsche leather is perfectly safe. My car not only has the all-leather option but it has natural leather. I was concerned about using the product on the natural leather, but after testing it, I found the product worked very well.

I have used it two or three times on the entire interior and have been very pleased with the results. It not only cleans, but removes shiny spots and leaves the leather with its original semi-gloss sheen.
I did the Leatherique on my front seats yesterday and it came out awesome! I also used the prestine clean to wipe my steering wheel and leather panels.
Old 08-03-2017 | 02:00 PM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Old 08-03-2017 | 03:11 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Very nice! The Leatherique process must be followed to the letter. The longer Rejuvenator is on and the higher the ambient temp is the better. In the past I posted a negative opinion about it but I confess that was due to improper use of the product. I still like Leather Master, especially to maintain well kept clean interiors.
Old 08-04-2017 | 08:58 PM
Rampage
Racer

From what I read, I didn't think you were supposed to condition the leather on the dash or doors since it was specially dried to prevent shrinkage etc.?

I'm interested to know, I need to do the leatherique on the natural brown interior of my recently acquired 997. Although a messy process, I've had great results using leatherique on my E90 BMW with the Oyster leather.

Quick Reply: Leatherique? Please help.