Sponsored by:

Service 35K miles on 997.1 - some info and details

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2017, 04:20 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Service 35K miles on 997.1 - some info and details

Nothing new, just wanted to share my service experience, cost, what to do, etc... for ones who may need to do the same to their 997.1

So, my 2007 C4S with 35K miles haven't had any major work done apart from brakes, oil and cabin filter. So, I did some research and did some work myself and the rest at my Indy.

- Cabin Filter Replacement: $20 MANN Filter (Made in Germany) DYI - 10mins
- Air Filter Replacement: $24 MANN Filter (Made in Austria) DYI - 20mins
- Spark Plug Replacement: $37 for 6 Bosch Plugs - Indy - 2hrs
- Drive Belt Replacement: $40 part - Indy - 30mins

Total: $435 with parts and labor

Improvements:
- Car runs smoother and starts easier, one noticeable change was the RPM gauge stays almost dead steady at idle. I wasn't able to see the condition of the old plugs, the guy who worked on it was gone before I picked up. But, I think it was time
- Car 100% breaths better, the Air Filter was not super dirty as I live in not a super polluted city, but the change was noticeable
- Cabin Air Filter was FILTHY, I am so glad I changed it and now can use clean AC in the car
- Drive Belt looked in good condition, but its replacement was more of a precaution

So, overall, the service on the car is easy and quite cheap. I don't have a lift or tools to change spark plugs myself, but by just buying it myself I saved $100 vs. dealer, and the same is true for the filters that are super easy DYI. The same service at dealer would cost over $1000 parts and labor. I think 997 is the last 911 that's easy for DYI work, and for 991 I think you must remove the bumper to replace Air filter.
Old 06-28-2017, 04:39 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

No coolant flush?
Old 06-28-2017, 04:40 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Lvt19672
No coolant flush?
No, not aware if that was needed.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:33 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Pink Porsche coolant is supposed to be "Lifetime" coolant, though nothing really is, but no need the change your coolant until you need to do a water pump and thermostat replacement which will be at 45-60k miles, depending on whether you want to do it preemptively or once it fails - I much prefer the former so it can be done on your timetable where you can source the parts and not be inconvenienced when it fails randomly. Also, the failure is usually the bearing going bad and it starting to leak, but play in the bearing allows for the impeller blades to contact the block and if a large chunk breaks off, it can lodge in a small coolant passageway, causing a hot-spot and potential engine failure.
Old 06-29-2017, 11:34 AM
JPA1
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have an MT, would be good to do the service, and the front differential/viscocoupler oil while you're at it... all cheap and easy, provided you order your Delvac 75W90 yourself by the gallon (50$)...otherwise the gear oil at Porsche is the same price, just it is per liter! ...
Old 06-29-2017, 02:51 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

FYI the 'Major" service on 997.1 and .2s also includes a brake fluid flush, flush of the body drainage holes, emergency brake calibration and a couple other things. I'd really like to see a DIY of flushing the body drainage holes. That would pretty much cover the last of all the major service DIYs here. (unless I missed one already created).
Old 06-29-2017, 03:15 PM
kcheves
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
FYI the 'Major" service on 997.1 and .2s also includes a brake fluid flush, flush of the body drainage holes, emergency brake calibration and a couple other things. I'd really like to see a DIY of flushing the body drainage holes. That would pretty much cover the last of all the major service DIYs here. (unless I missed one already created).
Here's a link from a post I made on flushing the drains on a cab.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-position.html

The front should be the same, but I think coupes have additional drains accessible through the sunroof channel. It's pretty straight forward.

Kit
Old 06-29-2017, 03:46 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by kcheves
Here's a link from a post I made on flushing the drains on a cab.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...-position.html

The front should be the same, but I think coupes have additional drains accessible through the sunroof channel. It's pretty straight forward.

Kit
thx, the sunroof ones are difficult to find and there are two of them. maybe i'll do a DIY if no one else has.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:58 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JPA1
If you have an MT, would be good to do the service, and the front differential/viscocoupler oil while you're at it... all cheap and easy, provided you order your Delvac 75W90 yourself by the gallon (50$)...otherwise the gear oil at Porsche is the same price, just it is per liter! ...
Have done that last year, so not necessary. It helped my shifting, specially on track.
Old 06-29-2017, 07:01 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I do brake flush every year, but not sure what's body drainage... will look that up.

Quick Reply: Service 35K miles on 997.1 - some info and details