Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Found 2 cars: GTS and C2S, please help me narrow it down

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2017, 06:00 PM
love2drive
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

one good thing about the c2s, some "purists" view as an advantage over the GTS is.. the c2s has more of the classic 911 inverted pendulum feel going round turns. something the GTS's wider track dialed back a bit. So, some say, the c2s is more involving..
Take how you will, BS, good point, borderline stretch, or all the above.

for me, c2s or GTS are on par. must haves:
-manual gear box
-LSD so.. sports pasm (SPASM) check
-bose
-hard top
-rwd
-PSE
-Porsche short shift kit

The GTS checks most above boxes standard and adds: X51 POWA kit, plus adds exclusivity, wider rear track and rear end body with rwd, GT2 side skirts, and nicer front bumper..talk about value? the GTS is hard to beat for value.

if a buyer is worried about the 5K to 10K difference, id advise to make sure the car comes with Porsche cpo that will last at least half the time you expect to keep the car.
Old 06-09-2017, 11:41 PM
Kg11
Rennlist Member

Received 61 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by love2drive

if a buyer is worried about the 5K to 10K difference, id advise to make sure the car comes with Porsche cpo that will last at least half the time you expect to keep the car.
Most people would love to find a GTS with similar mileage for $5-10k more, that would be a no-brainer. Even the ones listed above, given the mileage difference (someone else posted that these lose about $2,500 every 10,000 miles difference), the spread is $16,000. Add the mileage in and it's easily a $20k spread. GTS have held their value really well from what I have seen; low mileage cars are selling at around 65% or more of MSRP. More like 55% for the C2S (both dealer pricing, of course this thread concerned 2 private party sales, and those cars will always be cheaper).
Old 06-14-2017, 02:16 AM
Tarek307
Rennlist Member

Received 325 Likes on 161 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
2012 GTS: 39,500 miles at $70K, seems a bit high, manual or not. Did the price on the GTS go up? It should be about $65K max with those miles.
finding a 2011/2012 GTS manual is really hard rite now- There are tons of the AWD ones but not the 2wd. I"m trying to find my friend one, so OP if you dont buy it- let me know!
Old 06-14-2017, 04:05 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
finding a 2011/2012 GTS manual is really hard rite now- There are tons of the AWD ones but not the 2wd. I"m trying to find my friend one, so OP if you dont buy it- let me know!
That's very interesting, I know the other GT(2/3/4) cars are in high demand, I didn't think GTS would be either. You can still get Boxster/Cayman GTS at a very reasonable price of mid 60's, this is for the 2014/2015 models. As far as depreciation is concerned, I have never put GTS in the other GT cars category, to me it's just another trim.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:38 PM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 2009 model

The first year 997.2s had some issues with oil consumption and PDK leaks. It didnt affect all cars but I would go with 2010 and up if possible.

CF
Old 06-15-2017, 01:26 PM
Tcc1999
Three Wheelin'

Received 73 Likes on 44 Posts

That's very interesting, I know the other GT(2/3/4) cars are in high demand, I didn't think GTS would be either. You can still get Boxster/Cayman GTS at a very reasonable price of mid 60's, this is for the 2014/2015 models. As far as depreciation is concerned, I have never put GTS in the other GT cars category, to me it's just another trim.
Depreciation is an interesting point. The thing is though, while a GTS may just be (and actually is) a different trim (couldn't you say the same thing about some of the other "limited edition" 997s?) they just did not make that many of them (see below). It certainly wasn't a limited production car (based on the numbers) but it seems that those who bought them are tending not to sell them as readily as a 997.2 C2S. If, five years after the end of the production run many have found their way into enthusiasts garages, a lack of supply and apparent interest may be dampening the depreciation curve you would otherwise expect. Speaking only for me, since I have no love for the (seemingly ubiquitous) 991, I can't imagine the circumstances where mine would find its way on to the market

997 Carrera GTS total: 6.747
997 Carrera GTS Coupé: 2.656
997 Carrera GTS Cabrio: 1.813
997 Carrera 4 GTS Coupé: 1.321
997 Carrera 4 GTS Cabrio: 957
Old 06-15-2017, 01:39 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

Now take those numbers and multiply times the percentage manual trans takeup, say 30% to be generous and you see why the enthusiast GTS market price has ramped a bit for GTS manuals.
Old 06-15-2017, 09:20 PM
blakecam
Pro

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Tarek307
As far as depreciation is concerned, I have never put GTS in the other GT cars category, to me it's just another trim.
The uniqueness of 2WD on a widebody NA car is what should keep the GTS 2's value at a premium, especially 6MT coupes (of which there are likely only a few hundred in existence). This, more than anything else, is what really sets the GTS apart from a standard 'S' model. The combination of 2WD, widebody, and NA engine makes the GTS-2 more than "just another trim."
Old 06-16-2017, 12:05 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

Originally Posted by blakecam
The uniqueness of 2WD on a widebody NA car is what should keep the GTS 2's value at a premium, especially 6MT coupes (of which there are likely only a few hundred in existence). This, more than anything else, is what really sets the GTS apart from a standard 'S' model. The combination of 2WD, widebody, and NA engine makes the GTS-2 more than "just another trim."
Not sure if it's a bargain anymore but given the "trim" it was fitted with it was often described as such when it was introduced. The cost of the X51 kit alone was almost double that of the price difference between a typical C4S and a GTS.

With 408 horsepower and 310 pound-feet of torque, the Carrera GTS slots in neatly between the 385 horses of the Carrera S and the 435 found in the GT3. That extra 23 horsepower over the S comes courtesy of Porsche’s horsepower package – normally a $16,900 Exclusive option — that adds a six-valve air intake system to the 3.8-liter flat-six engine.

With that extra giddy-up comes the wider rear bodywork from the Carrera 4 S. Though the Carrera GTS is rear-wheel drive, the rear track and bodywork is widened by 44mm, not only appearing more aggressive, but also designed to squeeze a bit more grip out of the rear-engined 911. Toss in the rear seat delete kit (the seats can be added back, optionally), Alcantara interior trimmings, Porsche’s new three-spoke sports steering wheel, trick 19-inch RS Spyder center-lock wheels, a sports exhaust system, unique graphics and Porsche’s Aerokit design package, and the GTS seems a relative bargain at a base price of $104,050 (the Carrera S starts at $90,500).

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/porsc...rera-gts-test/

Quick Reply: Found 2 cars: GTS and C2S, please help me narrow it down