Found 2 cars: GTS and C2S, please help me narrow it down

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2017, 04:55 PM
ChristyT
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Found 2 cars: GTS and C2S, please help me narrow it down

Hi,

So I put feelers out with my local PCA friend, and he knows of 2 cars going up for sale soon. As they are both local, I would like to start my search here:

1) 2019 C2S, black/black full leather, manual, Sport Chrono, 2 owners. It has 19,000 miles and he will let me have it for $54,000. Nice car, but I used the VIN tool: it does not have adaptive sport seats nor upgraded suspension.

2) 2012 GTS: 39,500 miles, also a manual. No Sport Chrono, silver/black, it has the adaptive sports seats as well as LSD/sport suspension that people in the other thread said was so key. Full leather as well. He is firm at $70k, which seems high for a car with this mileage.

Both cars have the typical comfort options: Bose audio, vented seats, that sort of thing.

Which would you buy, and why? Seems like the GTS is perhaps overpriced, given the 2x mileage? Both should be great cars. Price-wise, I am willing to pay around 1/2 of the difference between dealer trade and retail. The C2S is right there, but what about the GTS?

Driving dynamics should be similar, no? Aside from sports suspension and LSD, of course. With the C2S, I lose the PSE and cool seats, as well as the wider hips of the GTS. Any other differences?

Looking at pricing, car #1 is 52% of retail, car #2 is 59% of retail. Using that graph posted awhile back (C2S/C4S) it seems that every 10k miles is worth around 2.5% of retail in value decrease, so essentially I am at 52% C2S vs 64% on the GTS if comparing apples to apples. Another way of looking at it: if the mileage were equivalent, then the GTS would be $20k more. Maybe it's worth that, I don't know....
Old 06-06-2017, 05:11 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts

GTS. Hands down. Great car all around. I'm surprised it doesn't have sport chrono. You'll want the sport button, but can get that installed at the dealer.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:18 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

2012 GTS: 39,500 miles at $70K, seems a bit high, manual or not. Did the price on the GTS go up? It should be about $65K max with those miles.
Old 06-06-2017, 05:25 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

I'd go with the GTS. You'll be able to drive that car reasonably (less than 10k a year) for the next couple of years and if you decided to get out of it you wouldn't lose money.

I got my GTS last march and could get out of it right now for what I paid (or more) even though I've put 20k miles on it.

I would not say that the driving dynamic is similar. I drove 991 Carrera S and 997.2 Carrera S and was not overwhelmed (still a great car, don't get me wrong). I started to look for "more" because I wasn't convinced enough to put my money out there for one. The wider track of the GTS makes a noticeable difference in feel to me, as well as the sports suspension (big time). Worth the money difference and even if you doubted it, youre not going to lose money on the GTS so it's a better buy.

Another option would be to wait for the fall and see if there is more selection of cars with better prices. I mostly see the supply of GTS cars dwindling though.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:19 PM
dawgcatching
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ynot
2012 GTS: 39,500 miles at $70K, seems a bit high, manual or not. Did the price on the GTS go up? It should be about $65K max with those miles.
I was wondering the same. On another thread, another poster just said he paid $70k for a PDK version of a GTS, with low miles and a good build, from a dealer. I understand a small premium for a manual on this car (there aren't many to be had), but with these miles, $65k seems about the top price. Here on the forums, a basalt black one sold with 43k miles, if I remember correctly, not too long ago for $62-ish.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:29 PM
ATSR
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 94 Posts

Out of those 2, I would go for the C2S hands down. The GTS is overpriced and the S is pretty much brand new. Suspension is not a big deal since you can make it even better than the one on the GTS with aftermarket parts and still have plenty of money left for many other mods.

The wide body vs narrow body, and the seats is a personal choice. I prefer the non sports seats and the narrow body.
Old 06-06-2017, 07:50 PM
Lvt19672
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Easy GTS and it's a manual to boot.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:00 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Tough call. Can you copy/paste the full build sheets of both cars?
Old 06-06-2017, 08:05 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Get the gts so I can buy the low mile and full leather CS2. 54k seems a like a great deal.
Old 06-06-2017, 08:31 PM
the_buch
Rennlist Member

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ChristyT
Hi,

1) 2019 C2S, ... 19,000 miles ....
How did they get that many miles on a car that isn't even built yet

To your question, I'd be leaning to the GTS for the brakes and suspension.
Old 06-06-2017, 11:43 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by cvtbenhogan
Get the gts so I can buy the low mile and full leather CS2. 54k seems a like a great deal.
That's about right for a private party, non-Porsche dealer, at least in this area. I saw 2 similar cars sell at dealers the past few weeks for high 50's. I always figure private party value as being about 1/2 of the difference between trade-in and retail, depending on the car. I also saw a one-owner 2010 C4S manual sell for $58k at an Audi dealer locally, it had 21k miles, my friend who works there said they paid $46k for it.

Porsche dealers charge more (and get it); maybe people shopping there aren't as price sensitive.

This car is basically priced at retail and has been for sale for 3 months now. Sure, PDK, but still 70% of the buyers out there are looking for PDK, so it doesn't change pricing much if any.

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...997-2-c4s.html

As far as that GTS goes: expensive for the mileage. I bet trade-in would be in the high 50's.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:10 AM
dasams
Rennlist Member

Received 372 Likes on 261 Posts

1) 2019 C2S, black/black full leather, manual, Sport Chrono, 2 owners. It has 19,000 miles and he will let me have it for $54,000. Nice car, but I used the VIN tool: it does not have adaptive sport seats nor upgraded suspension.
I wouldn't buy without adaptives but YMMV. The 10 mm drop in the sport suspension is great for bench racing, tracking and bragging rights. How old are you?

2) 2012 GTS: 39,500 miles, also a manual. No Sport Chrono, silver/black, it has the adaptive sports seats as well as LSD/sport suspension that people in the other thread said was so key. Full leather as well. He is firm at $70k, which seems high for a car with this mileage.
This car sounds nice. Full leather?? Sport chrono was standard on the S so I don't believe it could be missing on a GTS.

Seems like the GTS is perhaps overpriced, given the 2x mileage?
No it's not.

Driving dynamics should be similar, no?
Yes at legal speeds. Tracking you'll have small differences but track times will be driver dependent, not car dependent You have track experience?

With the C2S, I lose the PSE and cool seats, as well as the wider hips of the GTS.
As much as I love my C2S, the GTS begs. GL with your decision.
Old 06-07-2017, 01:38 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Quick cargurus nation wide snapshot:

Average price for a GTS is $75,500. Average miles are 23,000 out of 7 GTS for sale.

"I am willing to pay around 1/2 of the difference between dealer trade and retail."

Might want to get a broker. 997s are hot. Clean 997s are hotter. Speciality 997's (GTS, GT3 etc) even hotter. Dealers are getting retail and they moving fast. Out of the 7 GTS's listed 6 were sold by dealers and the 7th didnt list a VIN.

Your chances are better of getting a straight C2S from a private party in the trade in-retail ballpark. I slightly over paid for my car because it was 'the' car for me. Now its worth more than I paid 18 months ago.
Old 06-07-2017, 02:08 AM
ChristyT
Instructor

Originally Posted by captainbaker
Quick cargurus nation wide snapshot:

Average price for a GTS is $75,500. Average miles are 23,000 out of 7 GTS for sale.

"I am willing to pay around 1/2 of the difference between dealer trade and retail."

Might want to get a broker. 997s are hot. Clean 997s are hotter. Speciality 997's (GTS, GT3 etc) even hotter. Dealers are getting retail and they moving fast. Out of the 7 GTS's listed 6 were sold by dealers and the 7th didnt list a VIN.

Your chances are better of getting a straight C2S from a private party in the trade in-retail ballpark. I slightly over paid for my car because it was 'the' car for me. Now its worth more than I paid 18 months ago.
That's the problem. I am not sure the GTS is "the" car for me. It's nice, but we are talking $16,000 for a car with slightly upgraded capabilities and 2x the mileage. That is what I am struggling with.

oh well, 1st world problems, right?
Old 06-07-2017, 02:13 AM
ChristyT
Instructor

Originally Posted by dasams
I wouldn't buy without adaptives but YMMV. The 10 mm drop in the sport suspension is great for bench racing, tracking and bragging rights. How old are you?

I am 41. Track days may be once a year?

This car sounds nice. Full leather?? Sport chrono was standard on the S so I don't believe it could be missing on a GTS.

It wasn't an option on the S, at least the 2009's I have seen. There have been several with it missing. PASM was standard though.

No it's not.

Yes at legal speeds. Tracking you'll have small differences but track times will be driver dependent, not car dependent You have track experience?

I have 3 track days in the M3. I thought about getting into tracking a car at some point, but if I do, it will be something like an RX7 or older Cayman. If I can't afford to replace it, I surely am not racing it.

As much as I love my C2S, the GTS begs. GL with your decision.
Thanks! GTS is sweet. I drove a GTS cab when I was shopping for my M a few years ago. At the time, it didn't resonate with me: the M was more practical and what I needed at the time. PDK might have been part of the issue, although the exhaust was memorable with the top down. Now, we have a bigger car and I can get what I want.

Quick Reply: Found 2 cars: GTS and C2S, please help me narrow it down