Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Question What causes this tire wear

Lifted the car to change the oil and.....yikes :
Attached Images  
Old 06-11-2017, 12:13 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Toe and or camber is either off or set to be very aggressive.

I assume the other tire is the same? If not then a curb strike could have whacked the alignment (does the car pull?), or inner/outer tie rods are worn.

If it's the rear (which this looks like since you are changing oil) probably not the curb strike.

Others will add other possibilities......
Old 06-11-2017, 12:44 PM
joe_mtl
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have similar wear on on insides of all 4 tires on my IS350. Lexus dealer says its the camber and is normal on my vehicle.
Did you check all 4?
Old 06-11-2017, 01:01 PM
MichaelC4
Intermediate

Both rears. Yes I checked the fronts and they are not the same. I have new tires delivered from tire rack to be mounted this week. I'll then drive to the shop and have them fix the issue. Thanks for the speedy replies.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:03 PM
MichaelC4
Intermediate

By the by, SoCal C2S you have a beautiful ride.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:37 PM
jchapura
Rennlist Member

Received 132 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelC4
Both rears. Yes I checked the fronts and they are not the same. I have new tires delivered from tire rack to be mounted this week. I'll then drive to the shop and have them fix the issue. Thanks for the speedy replies.
I had your same wear pattern on the rears, and different from the fronts, on new S-04s at about 18k miles. I'm not a terribly aggressive driver - that's why I think they lasted 18k - I was really expecting only 13k when I put them on.

After the rears were replaced, I did have it realigned to go from the more aggressive side of the tolerance for camber and toe to the other side of the tolerance, to perhaps get a slightly better wear pattern balance. One would give up some performance handling with this approach.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:08 PM
Tj40
Burning Brakes

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by SoCal C2S
Toe and or camber is either off or set to be very aggressive.

Others will add other possibilities......

Toe being off will wear the insides like this very quickly, in my experience its a bigger factor than camber alone.

I.e. you can run aggressive camber with correct toe specs and not get this but normal camber with incorrect toe will kill the tires like this.....
Old 06-11-2017, 02:20 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Tj40
Toe being off will wear the insides like this very quickly, in my experience its a bigger factor than camber alone.

I.e. you can run aggressive camber with correct toe specs and not get this but normal camber with incorrect toe will kill the tires like this.....
This is what I understand is the case. Underway the camber "goes away" and the rear tires with their entire tread surface on the road. Makes sense. One doesn't get the grip/handling these cars deliver with the tread face partially in in the air.

(Don't go by what you see from other brands of cars that have goofy wheel/tire combos and the cars showing massive amounts of camber with the tires obviouly riding on just part of the tire tread.)

Furthermore my expeirence is even with the max. allowed amount of camber rear tire wear is still just fine (I get 20K+ miles) as long as the toe is correct.

Whenever I have my cars alignned I ask for an alignment that is condusive to even rear (and front) tire wear and long tire life *without* compromising the car's handling, road feel, stability, etc.

The tech always delivers and even with my 996 Turbo manage 20K+ miles before the wear reaches the wear bars.

There is some rear toe but it ain't much.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:44 PM
SoCal C2S
Three Wheelin'

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by MichaelC4
By the by, SoCal C2S you have a beautiful ride.
Thank you.....and yes I have the 911 disease.
Old 06-11-2017, 02:49 PM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 384 Likes on 268 Posts

Originally Posted by Tj40

Correct! Toe is the issue. The rear negative toe makes the car 'safer' for hot/inexperienced drivers. Minimal toe requires proper driving but improves dynamics and reduces wear. Negative camber should stay untouched.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:13 PM
BHMav8r
Rennlist Member

Received 2,632 Likes on 1,663 Posts

The alignment has tolerances. If you don't need aggressive handling, you can have your (talented) alignment guy set the rear on the less aggressive side of the spec.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:58 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,146 Likes on 728 Posts

Good advice from all. I had the same problem and reduced the rear toe. I now get the same inside wear, but that's after 25K plus miles on MPSS tires.

Find a good independent tire shop with a good brake mechanic. Talk about how you drive and discuss your expectations. If the guy is good, he'll make it right.
Old 06-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Jack667
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 58 Posts

I have a mildly aggressive alignment which produces wear patterns like this, but not as bad. I try and remember to check often enough to catch it and then have my tire shop flip that tires on on the rims. It costs about $25/corner, but worth it IMHO. I just do it once per set, but that I get about double the wear out of a set of tires, given my alignment settings...
Old 06-11-2017, 11:14 PM
MichaelC4
Intermediate

Thanks guys for all the advice / input. I was at my pops house for ribs, that is why I haven't replied to yous. I have a place in Ann Arbor that I take my car. I'll speak to them about what yous have said. Thanks again.
Avid board reader, rare poster.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:21 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Try taking corners faster to even out the wear :-)

Quick Reply: What causes this tire wear