Sponsored by:

Airbag reset

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2017, 12:39 AM
KungPao
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Airbag reset

Recently had the middle console of my 997S removed and refinished in body color silver. Looks fantastic and my body shop guy also did the temp/fan ***** gratis. Couldn't be happier However, he did have to disconnect the airbag "on/off" indicator on the console to remove it for painting. I know have an airbag warning light on my instrument cluster that is permanently on.

Where or how can I get this reset? Dealer will likely charge for full diagnostic to reset it, costing hundreds. Will an OBD diagnostic unit work?

I don't want to spend hundreds for this but also don't want to ruin any of the computer settings by doing it half a**'d

I am in SF Bay Area and open to any suggestions or help

Thanks
Old 05-05-2017, 09:01 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

AFAIK, you cannot do anything with the cluster warning via Durametric. (either that, or i failed to figure it out when it happened to me). you need a PIWIS for that. the one on the center console can be dealt with but not the cluster.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:07 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Durametric can clear an airbag light, even the cheaper enthusiast version can. But generic OBDII code readers cannot.

Some dealers will do it for free if you are in for other service. Others charge upwards of an hour at standard rates. It literally takes a few minutes to do - connect OBDII cable, turn on computer, press a button, disconnect cable, done.
Old 05-05-2017, 10:15 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

maybe i'm thinking of the AWS (which prompts the console light) - can turn that off completely but not calibrate it. well whatever it was, the dura couldnt do and i had to pay a stealer for an hour. :P
Old 05-05-2017, 01:31 PM
porscheaddicted
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was told that leaving the car with no batt for a long period of time will SOMETIMES turn off the airbag light... Anyone know if this is true?
Old 05-05-2017, 03:37 PM
millertimefl
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This seems to be one of the newest and cheapest tools for our cars. Wonder if anyone has tried it yet.

https://www.ecstuning.com/News/Schwa...Porsche_18656/
Old 05-06-2017, 11:55 PM
JPA1
Intermediate

Default Airbag light troubleshooting

I have the dreaded AIRBAG light on, after dismantling by driver door panel to fix the door latch and had to disconnect the door airbag... I connected my Durametric and surprinsingly, the airbag light is not related to the door airbag, but now is gives me code 8047 with message " Driver's head airbag incorrect coding"... And when I reset the light via durametric, it comes back right away when I start the car... Did I fried the Airbag Management unit (the one that, I understand, is located in or near or under the center console ...) or is it something else?? Help !
Old 05-07-2017, 10:28 AM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have used icarsoft POR II to successfully reset the airbag light on my 2011 997.2.

I believe that Launch diag adapter is also able to reset airbag error code.

CF
Old 05-07-2017, 11:44 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by JPA1
I have the dreaded AIRBAG light on, after dismantling by driver door panel to fix the door latch and had to disconnect the door airbag... I connected my Durametric and surprinsingly, the airbag light is not related to the door airbag, but now is gives me code 8047 with message " Driver's head airbag incorrect coding"... And when I reset the light via durametric, it comes back right away when I start the car... Did I fried the Airbag Management unit (the one that, I understand, is located in or near or under the center console ...) or is it something else?? Help !
As you've discovered Durametric can clear an airbag light. But if the underlying reason for the light is still present, the airbag light will return. In your case I'd start with the door panel - remove it again and double check every wire is properly connected. It's easy to miss one of the connectors. It's also easy to partially insert a connector instead of fully seating it.
Old 05-07-2017, 01:48 PM
9974eva
5th Gear

CF, what menu items did you click on to get the airbag light to reset? I've got a POR ii as well, but was unable to reset my light. Trying to figure out if I'm resetting it correctly, or if I actually have a fault that needs to be fixed. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2017, 03:16 PM
JPA1
Intermediate

Originally Posted by semicycler
As you've discovered Durametric can clear an airbag light. But if the underlying reason for the light is still present, the airbag light will return. In your case I'd start with the door panel - remove it again and double check every wire is properly connected. It's easy to miss one of the connectors. It's also easy to partially insert a connector instead of fully seating it.
yes I did disconnect/clean contacts/reconnect, and same problem. Then I disconnected the battery to try to reset the systems, but still the light in ON... I'll keep troubleshooting before ordering a new Airbag management unit...
Old 05-07-2017, 03:21 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

So what's the full error code and module reporting it? Can you screencap the error in Durametric and post it here?
Old 05-07-2017, 04:00 PM
JPA1
Intermediate

So what's the full error code and module reporting it? Can you screencap the error in Durametric and post it here?

This is the Durametric output...
Old 05-07-2017, 04:16 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Do you have the Pro version or the Enthusiast version? The pro version has a coding option. Perhaps one of the settings got mixed up in the coding section? Take a look at this thread for details: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ns-manual.html

There are a handful of coding options for the airbag module, most of them yes/no installed type options. Usually "incorrect coding" errors mean the settings are setup in a conflicting manor. There is a "Drivers Head Airbag" yes/no option. Maybe it's set to something other than yes/no?
Old 05-07-2017, 06:57 PM
JPA1
Intermediate

Do you have the Pro version or the Enthusiast version? The pro version has a coding option. Perhaps one of the settings got mixed up in the coding section? Take a look at this thread for details: https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ns-manual.html

There are a handful of coding options for the airbag module, most of them yes/no installed type options. Usually "incorrect coding" errors mean the settings are setup in a conflicting manor. There is a "Drivers Head Airbag" yes/no option. Maybe it's set to something other than yes/no?
Only the enthusiast option, in hindsight I should have bought the pro option, for the coding capabilities...

Quick Reply: Airbag reset