Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Getting rid of brake squealing - HOW?

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2017, 04:05 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts
Default Getting rid of brake squealing - HOW?

I've been using Ferodo 2500 pads for 6yrs or so, as my go-to-go Pads for street/track. They are the ONLY pads I've found that could truly be called "dual use". First 2 seasons, I swapped to OEM during winter, and went back to Ferodo in Spring... now, however, I use it all around (after OEM wore out).

Problem is, my brakes squeal, specially when cold, and in slow speeds. What are the remedies for this? I've done the bedding-in process, and squealing gets a bit better after a pressure wash of the brakes but then comes back. Any ideas?
Old 01-05-2017, 04:34 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 58 Posts

That's the price you pay for a "hybrid" pad. Ever run Hawk HP+? Mothers snatched up their children in the crosswalk when I approached!
Old 01-05-2017, 05:53 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 83 Likes on 60 Posts

I've tried Hawk pads before on my Audi. Garbage IMO. As I said earlier no other pad I've tried including Pagids could do both street and track.

So, nothing can be done? Any anti-squeal spray or what not?
Old 01-05-2017, 06:00 PM
Astur
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by cosm3os
Mothers snatched up their children in the crosswalk when I approached!
Now that's a funny analogy!!
Old 01-05-2017, 06:06 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Why not go back to swapping out pads to OEM in the winter? If you experience noise when they are cold and I assume you don't track over the winter that should do it.

Originally Posted by alexb76
I've been using Ferodo 2500 pads for 6yrs or so, as my go-to-go Pads for street/track. They are the ONLY pads I've found that could truly be called "dual use". First 2 seasons, I swapped to OEM during winter, and went back to Ferodo in Spring... now, however, I use it all around (after OEM wore out).

Problem is, my brakes squeal, specially when cold, and in slow speeds. What are the remedies for this? I've done the bedding-in process, and squealing gets a bit better after a pressure wash of the brakes but then comes back. Any ideas?
Old 01-05-2017, 07:30 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by alexb76
I've tried Hawk pads before on my Audi. Garbage IMO. As I said earlier no other pad I've tried including Pagids could do both street and track.

So, nothing can be done? Any anti-squeal spray or what not?
I wasn't recommending them (great aotox pad, not good track pad). They sqeal like a beat up school bus!

No, there's nothing you can do short of swapping. It's the nature of the beast.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:16 PM
KJR50
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Astur
Now that's a funny analogy!!
Mine sounds like a freight-train coming into the station.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:23 AM
ianstewartshouse
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the pad fitted with the anti squeal pads on the back? If not try a bit of copperslip between the back of the pad and the pistons
Old 01-06-2017, 08:24 AM
ianstewartshouse
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You can also get the pads separately
Old 01-06-2017, 08:30 AM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by ianstewartshouse
Is the pad fitted with the anti squeal pads on the back? If not try a bit of copperslip between the back of the pad and the pistons
​​​​​​
Of course, if you are doing that, you might as well just swap the pads. Keep in mind, when you use a more aggressive pad, it leaves behind deposits on the rotor that may cause the street pad to squeal too.
Old 01-06-2017, 08:30 AM
Jason @ Paragon Products
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

This product or similar will help

http://www.paragon-products.com/disc...tite_40300.htm

Some pads/brands are less likely to squeal than others.

Parts | Tech-Session | Facebook | Youtube

Jason Burkett
Paragon Products - Porsche Parts & Accessories*- 800.200.9366
Tech Session - Porsche Tech & Info*- 361.289.8834
jason@paragon-products.com
Old 01-06-2017, 11:28 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,444 Likes on 4,106 Posts

As you're probably starting to figure out, the squealing sound emanates from a harmonic between the back of the pad and the caliper piston, not from the front of the pad and rotor as many people believe. Using a product like Jason posts or a Permatex anti-squeal available from your local auto parts store applied to the back of the pad will reduce or eliminate this. Also, there are caliper piston dampeners from Porsche that look like an adhesive pad with a metal claw attached. These claws fit into the caliper pistons and then the pad adheres to the back of the pad. If you don't have these installed with your pads, you may want to start there. You need to know the ID of your caliper pistons to get the correct ones. They look like this.

Old 01-06-2017, 11:45 AM
captainbaker
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My Porsche mechanic buddy game me a set of Porsche pads for the front and a little tube of ant squeak. With a gloved finger, rub a generous amount to the back of the pad.....let dry, about 10 minutes. Repeat with a second coat.

Not a peep. There are things to save a little $$ on, but in my experience factory brake pads arent one of them.
Old 08-05-2017, 05:54 PM
mark kibort
Rennlist Member

Received 165 Likes on 64 Posts

that is not totally true. the noise is the resonance of the pad and rotor, and yes the pad is less mass, and moves more easily, bu the rotor is a speaker too. back plates can help, but not solve the issue..........proper bedding is the way. ive passed out info to about 20 listers, on proper bedding techniques that work on all pads and almost completely illimiates squealing noise no matter how the car is used (Racing or street or both)

if you want the info on the best process, PM me.
Originally Posted by Petza914
As you're probably starting to figure out, the squealing sound emanates from a harmonic between the back of the pad and the caliper piston, not from the front of the pad and rotor as many people believe. Using a product like Jason posts or a Permatex anti-squeal available from your local auto parts store applied to the back of the pad will reduce or eliminate this. Also, there are caliper piston dampeners from Porsche that look like an adhesive pad with a metal claw attached. These claws fit into the caliper pistons and then the pad adheres to the back of the pad. If you don't have these installed with your pads, you may want to start there. You need to know the ID of your caliper pistons to get the correct ones. They look like this.

Quick Reply: Getting rid of brake squealing - HOW?