Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Impact driver / Cordless drill for tire swaps ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2016, 09:15 PM
Ducati_John
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You don't need a torque stick with any of the 3/8" electric impact wrenches. Just run it down until the gun just starts to actually hammer. It shouldn't start hammering until the wheel bolt contacts the tire. I start all the bolts by hand, run them all in with the wrench, then go around one more time to make sure the wheel is actually seated on the hub before I set the car back down. Then switch to your torque wrench to do a final tighten after you've set the car down so the wheels won't spin while you're applying torque.
Old 12-12-2016, 10:21 PM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Ducati_John
You don't need a torque stick with any of the 3/8" electric impact wrenches. Just run it down until the gun just starts to actually hammer. It shouldn't start hammering until the wheel bolt contacts the tire. I start all the bolts by hand, run them all in with the wrench, then go around one more time to make sure the wheel is actually seated on the hub before I set the car back down. Then switch to your torque wrench to do a final tighten after you've set the car down so the wheels won't spin while you're applying torque.
This is the way I do it. Fairly simple. Although I will admit that sometimes I am too lazy to even get out the impact gun and just do it all by hand because I don't want to walk across the garage.
Old 12-12-2016, 11:15 PM
tritonic
Intermediate

I use a hybrid technique. I break the bolts loose by hand when the car is on the ground. After it's up I use my little 12V Makita impact driver to remove bolts and tighten again. After it's down I go back over them by hand. Almost no chance of cross threading, tons faster than all hand tools, and the 12V is really easy to handle while managing the wheel. Full disclosure this is only on my VW since the 911 hibernates all winter.
Old 10-01-2017, 12:25 PM
harlyalice
1st Gear

Helpful thread.
Old 10-01-2017, 03:09 PM
swoardrider
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I have a slew of Dewalt 20V tools and my impact driver for auto work is the DCF 899B.

DEWALT DCF889B Bare Tool 20V Max Lithium Ion 1/2-Inch High Torque Impact Wrench with Detent Pin https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NVSQSC..._kvDtyb64TT8T4

Spins lugs like they were bottle caps.
Agreed. I just wish I could use mine on my Centerlocks
Old 10-01-2017, 03:14 PM
cool flash
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I just bought a Ryobi One+ R18IW3 18 Volt impact driver and it worked great. Good price too.

CF
Old 10-01-2017, 03:52 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Good thread, I have some Bosch cordless impact driver with 450 lbs power. Is that enough to loosen/tighten to a certain torque before using Torque wrench? Is that adapter all I need?
Old 10-01-2017, 03:56 PM
alexb76
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 58 Posts

Here's a round-up by Car and Driver

http://www.caranddriver.com/features...tested-gearbox
Old 10-01-2017, 08:48 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I have an air-impact wrench and a small compressor. Together cost less than an electric, has much more torque, and is a lot lighter and more comfortable to handle, especially compared to the rechargeable ones.
That said, for tires I always just used a breaker bar then my fingers. It's not like they're hard to reach or have that many threads, and I'm not doing it all day long on a time schedule.
Old 10-01-2017, 10:31 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,373 Likes on 794 Posts

Originally Posted by Ben Z
I have an air-impact wrench and a small compressor. Together cost less than an electric, has much more torque, and is a lot lighter and more comfortable to handle, especially compared to the rechargeable ones.
That said, for tires I always just used a breaker bar then my fingers. It's not like they're hard to reach or have that many threads, and I'm not doing it all day long on a time schedule.
Im a bit surprised because most air impacts require a lot of cfm at fairly high pressure, so its strange that such a small compressor would get the job done
Old 10-02-2017, 10:07 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,431 Likes on 868 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Im a bit surprised because most air impacts require a lot of cfm at fairly high pressure, so its strange that such a small compressor would get the job done
I agree.... my buddy purchased one of those highly rated, Amazon jobs that was small enough to get inbetween control arms..... wouldnt work with my Porter Cable 6 gal, 2.6 CFM compressor. Just blew out of air fast..... I would have needed a much bigger tank.

I like my Porter Cable impact because it can do double duty around the house and yard.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 10-04-2017, 01:54 PM
Hula
Burning Brakes

Received 202 Likes on 97 Posts

AvE just reviewed the Harbor Freight Earthquake XT.

He tears tools apart and evaluates the components.

Spoiler: First EVER good review on Harbor Freight.
Old 10-04-2017, 06:25 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 828 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by 1crazy canuck
Doing the standard winter / summer tire swaps last week got me thinking. ISn't there an easier (lazier) way for me to do this ?

I've always uses a standard lug wrench, and then switched to a "plus sign" style lug wrench to both break the lug loose first and then make spinning off the lugs a bit easier, but in the absence of this ideal set up, my question is this:

Does anyone use a standard electric drill , or cordless impact drill / driver to do the above ? If so, what brand and model would you recommend ?

Thanks
I typically break the Tq with a socket / breaker bar, then switch to a DeWalt 18V impact gun.
Been using this tool for > 5 years with good success.

Quick Reply: Best Impact driver / Cordless drill for tire swaps ?