Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Impact driver / Cordless drill for tire swaps ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2016, 04:27 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Best Impact driver / Cordless drill for tire swaps ?

Doing the standard winter / summer tire swaps last week got me thinking. ISn't there an easier (lazier) way for me to do this ?

I've always uses a standard lug wrench, and then switched to a "plus sign" style lug wrench to both break the lug loose first and then make spinning off the lugs a bit easier, but in the absence of this ideal set up, my question is this:

Does anyone use a standard electric drill , or cordless impact drill / driver to do the above ? If so, what brand and model would you recommend ?

Thanks
Old 12-11-2016, 05:16 PM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Following...
Old 12-11-2016, 05:29 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

I've used a Milwaukee cordless drill for this purpose for several years. It works well. I still use a long-handled socket wrench to break the lug bolts loose, and I use a torque wrench to do the final tightening. The cordless drill makes the job much faster.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:52 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,419 Likes on 861 Posts

Porter Cable

Last year or so, I needed all new cordless power tools, drill/jig saw/impact, did a ton of research and according to those I talked to etc. etc. the best brands were Milwaukee, Makita, & DeWalt.. and maybe Bosch. 2nd tier was Porter Cable and others... Porter Cable apparently had some issues in the past so this latest version was upped... so far these new series 20V Lithium, I find them fantastic, super long charge, and fast charge... I usually go top shelf for this kind of stuff but the price difference was large and given my casual hobby use, went Porter Cable and have been very happy.

Amazon direct link
Your need these too: Adapter thingys

Tip: Whenever you use an impact gun, make sure there are chicks around to see you and hear it in action... they dig it.

For the eagle-eyed fashionistas out there, yes, those are Walmart steel toe boots.

BTW, I have since purchased real impact sockets....

Edit: This unit is fine for wheel lugs but lacks the power to remove high-torque suspension bolts. For that, you need to spend more.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 12-12-2016 at 08:13 AM.
Old 12-11-2016, 05:56 PM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

I've done so much research on this it's embarrassing.

Between the DeWalt, Ingersol Rand, or Milwaukee you cannot go wrong. All three have over 1,000ft lbs of break away torque which can come in handy for suspension work.

Just be sure to buy the newest models that are brushless - should last longer.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:39 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

I have a slew of Dewalt 20V tools and my impact driver for auto work is the DCF 899B.

DEWALT DCF889B Bare Tool 20V Max Lithium Ion 1/2-Inch High Torque Impact Wrench with Detent Pin https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007NVSQSC..._kvDtyb64TT8T4

Spins lugs like they were bottle caps.
Old 12-11-2016, 06:52 PM
cosm3os
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 56 Posts

I've had my Craftsman for more than a decade.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:09 PM
Tom Feldmann
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 for Dewalt. Like nwGTS says..spins like bottle caps.

My setup:
DEWALT DCF899HB (amazon)

Enegitech Batteries (amazon)
Old 12-11-2016, 07:42 PM
Bob Rouleau

Still plays with cars.
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 255 Likes on 119 Posts

Mine is a Dewalt 20 volt impact. Of course now I have ^%$%# centerlock wheels.
Old 12-11-2016, 07:44 PM
Dennis C
Rocky Mountain High
Rennlist Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 783 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Of course now I have ^%$%# centerlock wheels.
+1

I'm still working through the best way to deal with this.
Old 12-11-2016, 08:51 PM
Spinout
Burning Brakes

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Went through the same this past year and after oodles of research, wound up with the Milwaukee M18 1/2" impact driver and Tekton 4950 lug socket set to cover all my vehicles. I bought both through Amazon. I wish I bought this years ago...
Old 12-11-2016, 10:14 PM
EMC2
Burning Brakes

Received 429 Likes on 173 Posts

I've used this Craftsman Electric Impact wrench for several years. It will loosen almost anything (used it extensively when changing coilovers and other suspension parts on the Cayenne)
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-8-amp...&blockType=G1#

I use it to loosen & remove wheel bolts but never to install/tighten as it could over torque the bolts.
When reinstalling wheel bolts - just use a normal wrench and then finish with torque wrench.

Also - one of these is a must to protect your wheels:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Old 12-12-2016, 10:37 AM
hacker-pschorr
Administrator - "Tyson"
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 2,072 Likes on 1,183 Posts

Originally Posted by Bob Rouleau
Mine is a Dewalt 20 volt impact. Of course now I have ^%$%# centerlock wheels.
Originally Posted by Dennis C
I'm still working through the best way to deal with this.
What is the torque specifications on those, something like 450ft-lbs? The newest impacts have over 1,000ft-lbs of breakaway torque.

This guy has a bunch of videos on YT testing these tools. Even though the "nut busting" torque rating may be a bit exaggerated, the force necessary for centerlocks shouldn't be an issue:

Old 12-12-2016, 03:45 PM
1crazy canuck
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

very interesting video.

It makes me think... How would I make sure that I don't over-torque or cross thread when putting the bolts back on ? particularly with such powerful tools?

Of course I would hand torque with a torque wrench at the end, but I'd want to be able to use the drill/driver to screw on the bolt to get it to say 85 lbs/ft and do the last few pounds by hand / torque wrench.

Is there a driver that has a torque setting built in to avoid over tightening for this purpose ?
Old 12-12-2016, 04:29 PM
3Series
Three Wheelin'

Received 89 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 1crazy canuck
very interesting video.

It makes me think... How would I make sure that I don't over-torque or cross thread when putting the bolts back on ? particularly with such powerful tools?

Of course I would hand torque with a torque wrench at the end, but I'd want to be able to use the drill/driver to screw on the bolt to get it to say 85 lbs/ft and do the last few pounds by hand / torque wrench.

Is there a driver that has a torque setting built in to avoid over tightening for this purpose ?
There was a corded version sold on Amazon before where you dial in the torque you want and go to town. I bought it, it sort of worked then it got stolen.

For the past 6-7 years I've been using the C3 1/2in cordless impact Craftsman. It's rated at 300ft lbs and it has been an absolute work horse for me. I've probably done 60-70 wheel changes with it and it keeps on ticking. I invested in C3 batteries a couple years ago and have some other tools that use them. I use it to spin on the lug bolts and I think it has pretty good control although I don't have any experience with other manufacturers. Best of all, I think I paid $100 with Li battery on some sale.

Quick Reply: Best Impact driver / Cordless drill for tire swaps ?