Sponsored by:

Change tail light behaviour with Durametric

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2016, 09:27 AM
Fredrik_jac
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Change tail light behaviour with Durametric

I have a german sold 997.2 C2S imported to Sweden. We're required to have tail lights switch on all the time but not in Germany. The car is without rain & ambient light sensor.

So when I have my light switch to the "home" position only the front DRL's are on. Xenon lights are off and tail lights are off.

If I turn the light switch to the "on" position the DRL's stay lit, the Xenon's and the tail lights turn on.

Is there a way to reprogram with DuraMetric so that the tail lights is on in the "home" position of the light switch?
Old 09-01-2016, 09:51 AM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredrik_jac
I have a german sold 997.2 C2S imported to Sweden. We're required to have tail lights switch on all the time but not in Germany. The car is without rain & ambient light sensor.

So when I have my light switch to the "home" position only the front DRL's are on. Xenon lights are off and tail lights are off.

If I turn the light switch to the "on" position the DRL's stay lit, the Xenon's and the tail lights turn on.

Is there a way to reprogram with DuraMetric so that the tail lights is on in the "home" position of the light switch?
Don't know about the Durametric but I believe your OPC can use the PIWIS tool to program DRL on so that all the lights, including the tail lights, are on. You might ask them.

Do you have Sport Chrono - if so, have you tried using the PCM options to turn on DRL - not sure if that will just turn on the front or if it includes the rear. Good luck.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:09 AM
Fredrik_jac
AutoX

Yes I have Sport Chrono and DRL is activated, still it only turns on the front DRL.

It there a separate tail DRL, I thought there is only one tail light. Or maybe the tail LED's are just stronger in the "on" mode.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:12 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

2009 C2S

I have the Durametric pro (allows for coding changes such as this) but unfortunately, the tool is poorly documented. See this thread and the link for a crowd sourced manual by floatingkiwi here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...ns-manual.html

From screwing around with my Durametric, there are all kinds of coding possible for different regions of the world sometimes showing specific countries like Dubai. I would assume, that lighting behavior is one of the characteristics of region/country coding but I am just not sure. Unfortunately, the tool is expensive for the Pro, coding version so you may just want to go to a dealer and have them code the car for you. Or, contact your local Porsche club chapter and find someone there with a Durametric. The Porsche guys are usually very helpful with this stuff.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce In Philly; 09-01-2016 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:33 AM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

I haven't played with the daytime driving light settings in Durametric myself. But digging around I see a few options, mostly for the front.

Front Module Coding:
Daytime Driving Light Adjustment (Active/Inactive)
Daytime Driving Lights Activated via PCM (Yes/No)
Mandatory Daytime Driving Lights? (Yes/No)

Rear Module Coding:
Tail Lights (Blanked out - no options available) - could be because the car from the USA?

So it looks like the fronts can be coded but the rear can not. Maybe call your dealer and ask them what's possible with PIWIS? I seriously doubt there are hardware differences between the German and Swedish car models - it has to be a programming difference.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:40 AM
Own Goal
Team Owner

Received 2,323 Likes on 1,396 Posts

The guy I recently bought my 997.2 from was a software engineer down in Austin. So, he was very good with his Durametric. Two changes he made I like:
Front side markers are also turn signals now.
You can start the engine without foot on the brake with PDK.
So, I bet the right guy could do this for you.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:22 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Yes I have Sport Chrono and DRL is activated, still it only turns on the front DRL.

It there a separate tail DRL, I thought there is only one tail light. Or maybe the tail LED's are just stronger in the "on" mode.
OK - As far as I know there is no separate PCM option to turn on rear. Back to my original suggestion - tell your OPC you want DRL to include all lights on. I had this done on a 997.1 turbo and only lights that didn't come on with DRL were the instrument lights. I believe they used their proprietary PIWIS to program this.
Old 09-01-2016, 12:56 PM
lowbee
Rennlist Member

Received 395 Likes on 246 Posts

Headlights, front parking lights for DRL and tail lights turned-on are standard in Canadian 997.1 so it can be done. The only lights that do not come on with DRL are the instrument and the side-markers...
Old 09-01-2016, 04:40 PM
Fredrik_jac
AutoX

I talked to my local Porsche dealer, they told me they can only program it so the low beam is automatically started when I start the car. What I have seen on Swedish sold cars is when the light switch is in the home position these lights are turned on: LED DRL front + tail lights. This is what is required in Sweden during daytime driving.

It sounds on my Porsche dealer that if they to the reprogramming I will get: LED DLR's, low beam and taillights in the home position.

What I want is only LED DLR's in front and tail lights.

I also don't think there are any hardware differences between the Swedish and German cars, it must be software.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:46 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,567 Likes on 941 Posts

I talked to my local Porsche dealer, they told me they can only program it so the low beam is automatically started when I start the car. What I have seen on Swedish sold cars is when the light switch is in the home position these lights are turned on: LED DRL front + tail lights. This is what is required in Sweden during daytime driving.

It sounds on my Porsche dealer that if they to the reprogramming I will get: LED DLR's, low beam and taillights in the home position.

What I want is only LED DLR's in front and tail lights.

I also don't think there are any hardware differences between the Swedish and German cars, it must be software.
I suspect the dealer doesn't know. In the USA, we can call a toll free number to Porsche headquarters in Atlanta and get answers to these questions. I suspect you have a Swedish or maybe an EU equivalent to call.

As I noted above, there is coding exposed by the Durametric that shows country and region specific items..... this is different from specifically coding daylight running lights. As I noted, I don;t know if these settings affect the lights, but I still am willing to bet the dealer does not fully understand the complexity of these systems. Try another source in Europe.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 09-01-2016, 05:14 PM
Fredrik_jac
AutoX

Yes I'll have to find a Swedish Durametric guru who can help :-)

To clarify, in "home" the front position lights and the LED DLR "stripe" is on.

When I turn the light switch to the right 2 steps to turn on the low beam, the position lights turn off and the LED "stripe" stays turned on. The low bean is also turned on of course, and the tail lights.

And what I've seen is on other swedish cars is the position lights, LED stripe and tail lights being on at the same time.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:34 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,596 Likes on 4,194 Posts

Someone posted a headlight switch MOD that puts a jumper between 2 of the switch terminals on order to turn the fog light LEDs on as DRLs with the switch in the Home position. . I believe because of the way it's jumpered it also turns on the taillights.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:58 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

i would google the 2$ diode fog light 997.1 hack and see if it can be applied to the 997.2 home position switch to get the desired result you are looking for, it should work.

Originally Posted by Petza914
Someone posted a headlight switch MOD that puts a jumper between 2 of the switch terminals on order to turn the fog light LEDs on as DRLs with the switch in the Home position. . I believe because of the way it's jumpered it also turns on the taillights.
Old 09-03-2016, 06:59 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 582 Likes on 349 Posts

that option is blanked out on the older modules, until the 2008/2009+ modules were manufactured to accommodate the 2009+ rear led taillights. the newer modules allows the user to change from 'incandescent' to 'led'; i believe they are voltage settings.

Originally Posted by semicycler
Rear Module Coding:
Tail Lights (Blanked out - no options available) - could be because the car from the USA?
Old 09-04-2016, 02:50 PM
Fredrik_jac
AutoX

So you'r saying that on cars from 2009 there is a setting to change for the tail light?

Yesterday I compared with a friends Swedish sold 997.2 from 2009. In home his car lights ut the front position light and LED stripe, and the tail lights.

If I can find someone with Durematric that can help me in sweden we can compare our cars's settings.

The 997.1 fog light hack will not work, the fog light is controlled by a wire in the light switch, but there is no separate wire to control the tail light. When you switch the light switch to turn on the lowbeam itäs just controlled by 1 wire in the light switch. So there must be something else down the line that controls what lights are lit when you turn the light switch to enable low beam.

Quick Reply: Change tail light behaviour with Durametric