Sponsored by:

Moving on and selling....

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2016, 12:14 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

I sold my 06 aero for similar reasons. Not driving it with two toddlers and can't do family trips in it. In a few years maybe a replacement?

Last edited by Chaos; 08-21-2016 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:22 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
After three years... I am moving on from what has been an amazing time with my 997S. No replacement car is planned.

The plan is to not sell as a private party, so a professional will be handling the sale.

Ciao.

Phil
Best of luck to you. Why the consignment sale? Just don't want the hassle/tire kickers?
Old 08-19-2016, 12:34 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Consignment: it works when the person selling has a network and already knows who to call, can handle shipping, paperwork, etc. Because of the seller's rep, they can ask a top of the range price, advertise, finance, detail it, move it quicker. So, they'll get a bit of premium that I won't. I don't think I will lose a penny, but I'll save a lot of grief. Look, if this was a Civic, I'd not have options. This is where I can leverage the 911 rep.

911 fans: Listen, I could close the garage door and get high on that unique cosmoline smell, and I don't think I will ever find a clutch/gearbox I will like more, but that's not the point. I don't argue its status and that newer cars lose the original flavor more and more.

I could objectively see a woman who is a 10, who rocked my world and is by any standard an awesome and beautiful woman. But if she doesn't like to go boating, hates rolling onto the beach, can't haul my gear, doesn't do anything for my kids, is high-maintenance, etc, then it's time to move on!

Old 08-19-2016, 12:39 PM
Chris M.
Rennlist Member

Received 95 Likes on 81 Posts

Consignment: it works when the person selling has a network and already knows who to call, can handle shipping, paperwork, etc. Because of the seller's rep, they can ask a top of the range price, advertise, finance, detail it, move it quicker. So, they'll get a bit of premium that I won't. I don't think I will lose a penny, but I'll save a lot of grief. Look, if this was a Civic, I'd not have options. This is where I can leverage the 911 rep.

911 fans: Listen, I could close the garage door and get high on that unique cosmoline smell, and I don't think I will ever find a clutch/gearbox I will like more, but that's not the point. I don't argue its status and that newer cars lose the original flavor more and more.

I could objectively see a woman who is a 10, who rocked my world and is by any standard an awesome and beautiful woman. But if she doesn't like to go boating, hates rolling onto the beach, can't haul my gear, doesn't do anything for my kids, is high-maintenance, etc, then it's time to move on!

Gotcha.
Old 08-19-2016, 01:06 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

Originally Posted by SAN997
It's just not worth ever selling considering what I would get for it when 991s are so expensive and 993s have gone through the roof. Then add in the fact that all cars have gone way up, and I'm not going to sell my 997s for the same money as a nicely equipped Honda Accord.

Read that thick book on the history of the 911. What the engineers don't tell you is that the 911 basically just gets worse every model due to emissions regulations and the declining octane of fuel, which is down from nearly 100 in the 1960s to about 90 today.

Who exactly asked for electric steering, no hand brake, turbo engines, and a fully enclosed plastic engine cover? Oh yeah, nobody. It was the government and the dealer, that wants to make you scared to even touch the engine ($$$).

If Porsche made a 911 today with the same vehicle and fuel laws as the first 911, the base Carrera would easily exceed the performance of the GT3, weigh less, sound better and cost less.
yeah, i don't think so kid.
Old 08-19-2016, 02:01 PM
Chaos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 262 Likes on 198 Posts

Does she like Pina Coladas, walks in the rain...
That's ban language!
Old 08-20-2016, 02:51 PM
SAN997
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
yeah, i don't think so kid.
I see somebody drank the EPA and Porsche marketing Kool Aid. Physics doesn't lie though, when you add all of this EPA and NTSB required equipment and reduce octane from 98 to 91, performances takes an enormous hit.

Next time you have something childish to say, try having an informed opinion.
Old 08-21-2016, 03:36 PM
06C2s
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Totally understand, I have owned my C2s for 3 yrs and hardly put any miles on her, but just dropped my oldest off at college this week and with the youngest only 3 yrs behind I will be getting more time soon enough. I have been lucky enough that this was a total I just want one purchase that can afford to sit in the garage waiting patiently for me to be able to play for days when everybody else in the household is busy, i.e. not boating, sporting events etc.

Have fun but just in the short time i have gotten to enjoy my 911 I feel pretty confident in saying "you will be back"
Old 08-21-2016, 04:51 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Can't imagine doing this. After 10+ years a full tank of gas and a chance to drive still brings me a great sense of peace in this F'ed up world. Wife and I play competitive bridge and not all that well sometimes. No matter how badly the day goes I still feel like a winner when I roll up the cover, start her up and head home. Back in my more stress filled days Ducati and Laverda were my salvation but I got busted up too much. At this point my 997 gives me 90% of the rush with a whole lot less pain attached. As the saying goes I'll give it up when they pry the keys out of my old arthritic hands. If you are really into driving I suspect you will be back in short order. Good luck
Old 08-22-2016, 01:48 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,453 Likes on 4,114 Posts

Phil, you'll be missed as a significant contributor to this forum. Good luck but I bet you'll be back at some point.
Old 08-22-2016, 04:16 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Can't imagine doing this. After 10+ years a full tank of gas and a chance to drive still brings me a great sense of peace in this F'ed up world. Wife and I play competitive bridge and not all that well sometimes. No matter how badly the day goes I still feel like a winner when I roll up the cover, start her up and head home. Back in my more stress filled days Ducati and Laverda were my salvation but I got busted up too much. At this point my 997 gives me 90% of the rush with a whole lot less pain attached. As the saying goes I'll give it up when they pry the keys out of my old arthritic hands. If you are really into driving I suspect you will be back in short order. Good luck
I have experienced many things in life. I sample everything that interests me. My hobbies run the gamut... my travels are enviable... and I've had big toys like numerous boats, motorcycles, sports cars, big and small houses, beach-front homes, pools, etc... and I think I know that, at 49 and afraid of nothing, after sampling the menu of life, for my entree I am wanting a boat again.

That's it. The 911 is a fantastic car... but nothing has ever made me feel as good as boating and being on the water. Nothing.

And I think that's where I will dive into a big play thing again some day. I won't be longing for the 911. Should I fall into one, okay... but it's not going to eat at me.

I've not discounted anything out of hand. I've experienced what a 911 can do for me, and I gave it a shot.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

Old 08-22-2016, 08:19 PM
cvtbenhogan
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Phil you going off grid?

+1 on petza's comments. Good luck!
Old 08-23-2016, 04:08 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Going off the grid? Not at all. If by saying ''going off the grid'' you mean going off Rennlist, then I'll eventually fade away.

Old 08-23-2016, 04:15 PM
msingh5649
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have experienced many things in life. I sample everything that interests me. My hobbies run the gamut... my travels are enviable... and I've had big toys like numerous boats, motorcycles, sports cars, big and small houses, beach-front homes, pools, etc... and I think I know that, at 49 and afraid of nothing, after sampling the menu of life, for my entree I am wanting a boat again.

That's it. The 911 is a fantastic car... but nothing has ever made me feel as good as boating and being on the water. Nothing.

And I think that's where I will dive into a big play thing again some day. I won't be longing for the 911. Should I fall into one, okay... but it's not going to eat at me.

I've not discounted anything out of hand. I've experienced what a 911 can do for me, and I gave it a shot.

Different strokes for different folks and all that.

It is interesting how being on the water seems so worldly different. I remember the first time i got on a jet ski (only a few years ago) and felt the warm water lapping up on my feet. I was hooked.

shortly after learned the adage about the costs of maintaining a boat...and decided to borrow my friends instead!

Enjoy.
Old 08-23-2016, 04:30 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

90% of the boats out there are junk from jump street and sold to people unable or unwilling to take care of them. If willing, they lack the time and understanding.

So, the real boats and boaters have to not get dissuaded by all the noise.

Quick Reply: Moving on and selling....