Sponsored by:

Moving on and selling....

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 04:43 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Moving on and selling....

After three years... I am moving on from what has been an amazing time with my 997S. No replacement car is planned.

The plan is to not sell as a private party, so a professional will be handling the sale.

Great car. I've had some amazing drives, and met some PCA peeps I've not have met otherwise. I've done a lot of my own maintenance, and just got the car gone through by local Porsche guys to prep for sale. Fresh refrigerant, wheels balanced and new TPMS all around... and a clean bill of health. Replace your pressure valves for the A/C proactively. It's under the frunk lid near the cabin filter. Cheap way to hold onto your refrigerant.

She's done all she can for me. I'll hang around here a bit longer and be my annoying self and be grumpy now and then.

I just feel that I'm done. The car cannot offer me anymore, and while she's just about perfection mechanically, I am retiring from the 997.1 as Barry Sanders and Jim Brown retired (sooo melodramatic!)... at the top, without bad memories!

I tinkered and customized different exhaust set ups and finally combined my Borla cat-back and EVOMS intake. This... well... I nailed it. Perfecto.

Thoughts:

With the Aero Kit, she got a lot of looks and thumbs up. Silver over black: such classic Porsche colors. Clutch action and weight, and gearbox action and placement of the shifter: Oh, yes... that's just damn fine. Flat-6 howl: Glorious and addictive.

Easy decision? Hell no.

Good luck to all. Stop washing the damn things and go wring the ever-livin' hell out of them!

Ciao.

Phil

Last edited by Philster; 08-18-2016 at 08:37 PM.
Old 08-18-2016, 05:13 PM
motopix
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Good luck to you. You've been a good source of info on this forum.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:14 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
After three years... I am moving on from what has been an amazing time with my 997S. No replacement car is planned.

The plan is to not sell as a private party, so a professional will be handling the sale.

Great car. I've had some amazing drives, and met some PCA peeps I've not have met otherwise. I've done a lot of my own maintenance, and just got the car gone through by local Porsche guys to prep for sale. Fresh refrigerant, wheels balanced and new TPMS all around... and a clean bill of health. Replace your pressure valves for the A/C proactively. It's under the frunk lid near the cabin filter. Cheap way to hold onto your refrigerant.

She's done all she can for me. I'll hang around here a bit longer and be my annoying self and be grumpy now and then.

I just feel that I'm done. The car cannot offer me anymore, and while she's just about perfection mechanically, I am retiring from the 997.1 as Barry Sanders and Jim Brown retired (sooo melodramatic!)... at the top, without bad memories!

I tinkered and customized different exhaust set ups and finally combined my Borla cat-back and EVOMS intake. This... well... I nailed it. Perfecto.

Thoughts:

With the Aero Kit, she got a lot of looks and thumbs up. Silver over black: such classic Porsche colors. Clutch action and weight, and gearbox action and placement of the shifter: Oh, yes... that's just damn fine. Flat-6 howl: Glorious and addictive.

Easy decision? Hell no.

Good luck to all. Stop washing the damn things and go ring the ever-livin' hell out of them!

Ciao.

Phil
Vaya con dios, amigo. And, great parting advice.
Old 08-18-2016, 06:18 PM
M3 Defector
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 27 Posts

Please point us in the direction of the sale. I know someone looking for a .1 aero. Thanks!!
Old 08-18-2016, 08:56 PM
rbennett
Drifting

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Barely knew ya Phil as I'm old time rennlist but new 997. I have enjoyed your posts in my short time here though.
I took a 6 year break purchasing a mountain home and getting kids through college but now all over and I came back, maybe you will too!
Old 08-18-2016, 09:05 PM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 359 Posts

I'm sorry to see you go! As others said, we'll miss your excellent contributions to the forum. Hopefully we'll see you back somewhere here one day.
I'd say "cheers", but you took that, so good luck and best wishes!
Old 08-18-2016, 10:56 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,406 Likes on 814 Posts

I don't get it. why are you selling?
Old 08-19-2016, 12:06 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

I want less expense in my life, and I want to walk away with her full value as cashola in my bank account. No more insurance, no more maintenance, etc.

I'm not going to track it; I have other hobbies. So... It's done all it can do for me on the road. I just can't see where this 997 ownership is going if I can't explore the car's potential.

Kids are teens in high school. I've put off my other favorite life-long hobby (boating) and I'll go focus on that, which is equally in my blood but extremely less selfish, as it involves my kids, friends and family.

Such is life.

I have other fun things. I don't live in fear, such that I'll be afraid I'll regret it and never have another.

Old 08-19-2016, 12:10 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by rbennett
Barely knew ya Phil as I'm old time rennlist but new 997. I have enjoyed your posts in my short time here though.
I took a 6 year break purchasing a mountain home and getting kids through college but now all over and I came back, maybe you will too!
It's possible... and like you, this break is to focus on other things.

Old 08-19-2016, 01:33 AM
SAN997
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Funny, my car is now exactly the same as yours! I have a 2007 C2S silver with turbo wheels and an OEM aerokit. I also added the GT3 front bumper "smiley" vent with the Rennline kit. I also have a lithium ion battery in the front.

I'm planning on adding titanium exhaust and fiberglass bucket seats in the future. All this should bring her down to about 2900 pounds, since I removed the sub and rear seats as well.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:41 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

It's a great look. Silver is subtle, yet aero kit is not. Keeps it from being obnoxious, but looks aggressive.

Enjoy.
Old 08-19-2016, 09:25 AM
JuanK20
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 112 Posts

Good luck.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:01 AM
mattyf
Pro

Received 40 Likes on 23 Posts

Sold me a little while back. 50% to make room for something else and 50% out of paranoia. Kept thinking I would find a 991 to replace, but I'm having trouble doing it as there are so many things I dislike about the 991: rear lines, no handbrake, e-steering, and now I read no leather smell, ugh.

Anyhow I admit it was a big mistake. Don't be like me. You'll definitely regret it.
Old 08-19-2016, 11:36 AM
jsalah
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not going to pontificate about whether you will regret or not -- some sure do, others don't -- I regret that I didn't get to make your acquaintance and go for some local P car drives, and wish you luck and fair sailing!
Old 08-19-2016, 11:38 AM
SAN997
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It's just not worth ever selling considering what I would get for it when 991s are so expensive and 993s have gone through the roof. Then add in the fact that all cars have gone way up, and I'm not going to sell my 997s for the same money as a nicely equipped Honda Accord.

Read that thick book on the history of the 911. What the engineers don't tell you is that the 911 basically just gets worse every model due to emissions regulations and the declining octane of fuel, which is down from nearly 100 in the 1960s to about 90 today.

Who exactly asked for electric steering, no hand brake, turbo engines, and a fully enclosed plastic engine cover? Oh yeah, nobody. It was the government and the dealer, that wants to make you scared to even touch the engine ($$$).

If Porsche made a 911 today with the same vehicle and fuel laws as the first 911, the base Carrera would easily exceed the performance of the GT3, weigh less, sound better and cost less.

Quick Reply: Moving on and selling....