Sponsored by:

Update on my extra oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 03:00 AM
ADias
Nordschleife Master

Received 397 Likes on 271 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS Sully
Picked mine up CPO'd from Brumos in Jax, FL and haven't added a drop since delivery. Nor has it apparently burned a drop.
You may not have used oil or you may have acquired moisture to compensate for oil usage... Way to check - long italian tuneup by driving 20-30 miles with oil temps in the 220F or higher. After that check oil level. If down 1 bar leave it alone.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:23 AM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 48 Posts

my c4s 997.2 just came back from a hard DE day and the oil level is still at full with 3000km on it since last oil change.....not going to worry about it.....some do some don't
Old 08-24-2016, 01:35 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

To put some context behind where I am. I got the car with 20114 miles on it. I drove it from Philly to Raleigh and had to stop before I got home and add 2 quarts.

In the year and a half that I have owned the car and put 6500 miles on it, I have had to add a total of 9.35 quarts of oil to the car. (I've kept a spreadsheet of all oil I've had to add with mileage) This excludes a full oil change after I had the car for 2700 miles.

The dealership put me on a 1000 mile consumption test and at 700 miles I had gone from 4 bars to 1 bar and then added 1 quart which took me back to 3 bars.

Dealership now has the car and has pulled the engine, which is under CPO. They did find oil seepage in cylinder 1 and compression test showed one of the cylinders not in alignment with the other 5.
Old 08-24-2016, 02:24 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Regularly (unfortunately) s o posts to state they are consuming excessive oil. This is followed by a series of posts to the effect that 'my car has not used a drop in 50k miles' While I'm sure this makes the responder feel quite good, I fail to see the value to OP.

Ie OP: 'I recently went to the doctor and I think I need to have a ******** removed'
Responder: 'Well I am 60 years old and can still impregnate a female just by staring at her' OK. Good to know.

Hope Porsche picks up bill for this latest misfortune $$$. If/when they do they will have owner take the oath of secrecy and we will not hear from him again. Wouldn't want the word to get out afterall
Old 08-24-2016, 03:09 PM
mreloc
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Hey gopirates- sorry if I missed it if you mentioned it earlier in the thread, but did you notice anything different in your left tailpipe (assuming you still have your center muffler so that the left cylinder bank maps to the left tailpipe)? I.e, was it sootier than the right? Mine is on my 997.2, 10,000 miles on the odo and CPO, so keeping an eye on things... only had the car for 800 miles and so far the oil level is holding.
Old 08-24-2016, 03:20 PM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

It is equally extra sooty on both my left and right tail pipes. I did detail it after I had my AOS replaced back in May and the next drive of about 30 min of spirited driving both pipes were black on the inside again.

I have not had any excess smoking, though the soot still tells me it is running rich as well as burning oil.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:17 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Regularly (unfortunately) s o posts to state they are consuming excessive oil. This is followed by a series of posts to the effect that 'my car has not used a drop in 50k miles' While I'm sure this makes the responder feel quite good, I fail to see the value to OP.

Ie OP: 'I recently went to the doctor and I think I need to have a ******** removed'
Responder: 'Well I am 60 years old and can still impregnate a female just by staring at her' OK. Good to know.

Hope Porsche picks up bill for this latest misfortune $$$. If/when they do they will have owner take the oath of secrecy and we will not hear from him again. Wouldn't want the word to get out afterall
The value to the OP is when they post what they believe may be a problem with their car and others can confirm that their cars do or do not exhibit the same behavior which in turn helps the OP understand his/her situation.
Old 08-24-2016, 04:25 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by GTS Sully
Picked mine up CPO'd from Brumos in Jax, FL and haven't added a drop since delivery. Nor has it apparently burned a drop.
I have the same. I change oil before winter hibernation. Drive 6000 miles per year and have never filled one drop between oil changes. 2007 C2S 37.000 miles (60.000 km)

And I drive at least 40 minutes every time. Motorways plus at least four 250 mile trips without noticing any change of levels. So there is no fuel dilution in the oil.
Old 08-25-2016, 02:29 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

let us know how it goes brother.

Originally Posted by gopirates
Dealership now has the car and has pulled the engine, which is under CPO. They did find oil seepage in cylinder 1 and compression test showed one of the cylinders not in alignment with the other 5.
Old 08-25-2016, 03:09 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
I have the same. I change oil before winter hibernation. Drive 6000 miles per year and have never filled one drop between oil changes. 2007 C2S 37.000 miles (60.000 km)

And I drive at least 40 minutes every time. Motorways plus at least four 250 mile trips without noticing any change of levels. So there is no fuel dilution in the oil.
You lose a little oil and replace it with water, so it is diluted.

It requires very aggressive and hard running on every outing to avoid adding net water to the oil in these cars.

Long boring drives at 215-degree F oil temps or sub 100 C temps = making water.

But you'll pop into to tell me you drive at 200 Kph and live at 6500 RPMs and I won't believe you, because you'd burn some oil over that time, but you claim you don't... so your story won't add up.

Old 08-25-2016, 04:53 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 253 Likes on 223 Posts

It is equally extra sooty on both my left and right tail pipes. I did detail it after I had my AOS replaced back in May and the next drive of about 30 min of spirited driving both pipes were black on the inside again.

I have not had any excess smoking, though the soot still tells me it is running rich as well as burning oil.
The soot is normal. For every gallon of gasoline around 19lbs of carbon -- mostly in the form of CO2 -- is produced. But some is in the form of soot. This is one reason why oil gets darker over time as some of this soot is forced past the rings into the oil.

If the engine was running rich, too rich, there would be a CEL with an error code or two to this effect.

If the engine was burning oil the oil level would probably be going down unless you were using the car for short hops in which case water accumulation would be replacing the burned oil.

Water accumulation is a real thing. Just 4K miles after I bought my 2002 Boxster I had the oil analyzed and it had 7% water. In 9+ quarts of oil that's around a 1/2 quart of water. That water then replaced that much oil that was consumed.

Might mention that while I was using my car for "short trips", 10 miles to and from work, I was also using it for longer trips of 40+ miles to 75+ miles. The problem was this was in Jan. to Mar. of 2002 in the middle of a pretty cold (normal) winter in the KC MO area. What I found after the analysis was when I monitored engine coolant temperatures in real time the engine was very cold blooded. A high speed (well, legal high speed) run down the freeway for 50+ miles never saw the coolant temperature even get to 190F.

The AOS is supposed to help keep the engine crankcase under low pressure which lowers the boiling point of water in the oil but often I believe the AOS doesn't work all that well and this exacerbates the accumulation of water in the oil.

Anyhow, relax. Your car's engine is fine. My advice is you should spend more timing looking out the windshield and less time starting at the exhaust outlets.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:25 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by jkw911
The value to the OP is when they post what they believe may be a problem with their car and others can confirm that their cars do or do not exhibit the same behavior which in turn helps the OP understand his/her situation.
Ok. I get that in some circumstances.

With respect to oil consumption though the "normal" range is so variable that anecdotal reports from other owners are next to useless.

In my opinion it would be better to just make this clear to the OP ie

" every engine is different and unless you are exceeding Porsche's definition of excessive oil consumption it is moot"

rather then bombard him with the reports of others whose cars it would seem never use any oil.

The only number that really matters after all is the definition of 'excessive oil consumption' that Porsche uses, for better or worse.

Reading the manual or doing a quick search will get you that.
Old 08-26-2016, 04:21 PM
Racetwin2
Three Wheelin'

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Philster
You lose a little oil and replace it with water, so it is diluted.

It requires very aggressive and hard running on every outing to avoid adding net water to the oil in these cars.

Long boring drives at 215-degree F oil temps or sub 100 C temps = making water.

But you'll pop into to tell me you drive at 200 Kph and live at 6500 RPMs and I won't believe you, because you'd burn some oil over that time, but you claim you don't... so your story won't add up.

I doubt I have water dilution or fuel dilution other than minute. I would guess fuel dilution is more common than water dilution. Oil reading on dash is exactly full (same as when I changed oil before winter hibernation 10.000 km ago). No white goo in the oil filler tube either. I drive 30 minutes after engine reached operating temp at minimum 140km/h (87mph) on motorways each direction to work so I doubt I have diluted oil. Never drive winter time. I also drove 6 times 400 km road trips only the last 4 months. And one track event.

So according to me - the engine in this specific car consumes no oil.
Old 08-26-2016, 07:44 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Racetwin2
I doubt I have water dilution or fuel dilution other than minute. I would guess fuel dilution is more common than water dilution. Oil reading on dash is exactly full (same as when I changed oil before winter hibernation 10.000 km ago). No white goo in the oil filler tube either. I drive 30 minutes after engine reached operating temp at minimum 140km/h (87mph) on motorways each direction to work so I doubt I have diluted oil. Never drive winter time. I also drove 6 times 400 km road trips only the last 4 months. And one track event.

So according to me - the engine in this specific car consumes no oil.
I had one that made oil. Every 5000miles I had to drain a qt or so or it would overflow. Go figure
Old 08-26-2016, 07:48 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Believe it or not this is the important part of this thread. Very unusual no? Please report findings. As I mentioned Porsche will put a gag on you when they know what is going on but try to provide what info you can. Good luck

Quick Reply: Update on my extra oil consumption