Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Update on my extra oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2016, 11:13 AM
gopirates
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

So I got the car back and have driven it a few times. I do seem to notice a tad more throttle response and a tad more oomph. I am wondering whether replacing the AOS has allowed me to get the full 345 HP.

FYI, I really don't open it up and take it past 4500 RPMs. City and Freeway driving in Raleigh isn't too conducive to really opening it up. Though I have seemed to see better performance in the 2500 and up RPM range (and I know the variocams kick in at 3k).

Am I imagining this, or is there some truth here?
Old 05-18-2016, 11:50 AM
Dan GSR
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

If the aos was faulty you would be trying to ignite oil vapor which would decrease power, so it is possible that you are feeling more power
Old 05-18-2016, 12:39 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

You really ought to try and get the car into higher revs occasionally. I'm not saying you need to redline it at every freeway on ramp, though you're not going to hurt it...

Years ago I use to be "gentler" with my cars until one day the car ran like crap (wasn't a Porsche but still applies). Mechanic told me to get the RPMs up much higher than I was doing. The car had 160,000 miles and I was being timid.

Since then I've heard on more than one occasion, particularly from Porsche techs, that it is actually good for the engine to drive it hard (once up to temperature).

I also learned from a well respected tech here in Phoenix that on some of the older 911s, the fuel injectors don't fully open until past 5000 RPM and foot to the floor.

Find some place where you can open her up.
Old 05-18-2016, 02:10 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is no need for a high-speed road section to wind the engine out.

I have never understood this as a limiting factor into why one cannot stretch an engine's legs. These aren't single-geared creatures.

Old 05-18-2016, 02:13 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by KNS
You really ought to try and get the car into higher revs occasionally. I'm not saying you need to redline it at every freeway on ramp, though you're not going to hurt it...

Years ago I use to be "gentler" with my cars until one day the car ran like crap (wasn't a Porsche but still applies). Mechanic told me to get the RPMs up much higher than I was doing. The car had 160,000 miles and I was being timid.

Since then I've heard on more than one occasion, particularly from Porsche techs, that it is actually good for the engine to drive it hard (once up to temperature).

I also learned from a well respected tech here in Phoenix that on some of the older 911s, the fuel injectors don't fully open until past 5000 RPM and foot to the floor.

Find some place where you can open her up.
I totally agree. Several years ago my wife starting driving a Lexus ES that I had driven for several years, after about a year I noticed the MPGs were down about 25% and the car just didn't run as well as it had before (about 150,000 mi). After spending some time with her driving I realized she never got the darn thing over 3k RPMs EVER, and it would cruise at 70mph on the interstate at 3k rpm. We switched cars for a month, I changed the oil, and after a few tanks of gas the MPGs were back and the car just ran better. Since that time I've made an effort to drive her cars and tune them up regularly.

Also, its a Porsche, the power isn't even there until almost 4k RPMs, once warmed up you should be living in the 4-6k area.
Old 06-29-2016, 11:13 PM
gopirates
Racer

Update, I have been driving the car for a little over a month after we had the AOS replaced. I have driven the car about 700 miles since we started monitoring the oil consumption at the dealership.

They replaced the AOS about 200 miles into the test and I measured at 3 bars then. Now after a month and about 500 miles or so, I am down to registering one bar. The car does seem to have better throttle response, though my tailpipes are still getting somewhat sooty as well (evenly on both sides).

With this info I contacted the dealership and also inquired about changing the piston rings. They said they would check. When I heard back they could not verify a bulletin on changing the piston rings. They said they would like to get the car in and do a full diagnosis which may be complete breakdown of the engine which may take at least a month. The SA did say they would do a leak down, compression test and a bore scope. ( I recall in a previous thread, Jake mentioned leak down and compression will not help here.)

This will be a long process as the tech they want to do this won't be available until mid August. I'm ok with this as they will give me a loaner and I have CPO and they have acknowledged all of this will be covered under warranty.

Thoughts?
Old 06-29-2016, 11:26 PM
vern1
Drifting

Received 134 Likes on 82 Posts

Just send the engine to Jake for the 4L upgrade and be done with it!
Old 06-29-2016, 11:45 PM
hockenheimr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by vern1
Good man! Keep us in the loop....
Old 06-29-2016, 11:57 PM
gopirates
Racer

Originally Posted by vern1
I have actually day dreamed about that. If there was a way the CPO would cover that I would be set.
Old 06-30-2016, 12:36 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 254 Likes on 162 Posts

Following this thread with interest. 1200 miles since last oil change and had to ad 1.5 quarts. Still have 20 months left on CPO so will monitor until next oil change at 15K miles. I will have the dealer do that one since that will be the scheduled 10K mile change.
Old 08-22-2016, 06:16 PM
gopirates
Racer

So I took my car in this morning for them to do the in depth analysis. They told me they do see oil in cylinder one. They will know more when Germany further analyzes the results.

My question now is if they replace my engine will that result in any devaluation of the car long term?
Old 08-22-2016, 06:22 PM
GTS Sully
Pro

Received 159 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by gopirates
So I took my car in this morning for them to do the in depth analysis. They told me they do see oil in cylinder one. They will know more when Germany further analyzes the results.

My question now is if they replace my engine will that result in any devaluation of the car long term?
I'm not an expert on a matter like this, but I can't imagine a new engine having an adverse affect on the value of the car. Heck, it might actually increase it?
Old 08-22-2016, 10:09 PM
rickster997
Pro

Received 110 Likes on 53 Posts

What is normal consumption? I have a 30 minute commute at highway speeds with several sections where the RPMs are over 4k.... 2008 C2s... I wait for oil temp to be around 200 before I go above 4k. I just bought it with 17K miles and had to add .5 quart after 1k miles...
Old 08-23-2016, 11:59 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Nothing to be concerned with. You have to keep tracking the usage. You might have burned off some water, etc. If you drive it like you're supposed to, and wring it out regularly, you might go 2,000 miles and add nothing, as you're keeping water content in the oil nice and low.

Old 08-23-2016, 12:03 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by rickster997
What is normal consumption? I just bought it with 17K miles and had to add .5 quart after 1k miles...
I thought I read somewhere that Porsche considers 1 qt every 500 miles or less on the excessive side. You are 4X lower than that, nothing to worry.

Quick Reply: Update on my extra oil consumption