Sponsored by:

Life with a 997.2 GTS 6MT

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 08:51 PM
pilfer
Racer

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I debate constantly if I want to go long hood hotrod, mezger GT or 9k GT screamer. warranty until ~2024 is hard to beat for the 991 GT3s and prices are butting right up against nice 997.2s.
I know a LOT about the watercooled cars and as someone who wrenches on his own, I would need to educate myself more before moving to aircooled to figure out what I want (and don't want) to work on.
Wont be a problem for another year. Substantial house upgrade is coming first. I'm also looking forward more to just having my own garage. What a time to be alive.
garage space is probably my major concern when looking at houses. Right now we only have enough space for the 911. Kills me to park the RS4 and Golf outside. The housing market is so crazy out here we’ll Probably end up expanding our house, I tell her just let me design any garage updates and she can do whatever else she wants...lol.

996 GT3’s catch my eye too.
Old 09-11-2018, 12:45 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Picked up the ride after a summer break. PPF on full rear quarters. It will be ready for Checkedit Out downtown Chicago this weekend after I put a few finishing touches on it this week.

Been busy looking at e36 M3s coupes for a fun daily I can wrench on. Have any leads? Toss them my way.

Also debating doubling up the PPF and adding the standard rear quarter stone guard over this PPF since damage to this would require the ENTIRE panel be replaced. $$$$ gotta do some research so see how that works exactly.

Old 11-22-2018, 03:42 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Default I'm still here!

Happy Thanksgiving! Unfortunately, I haven't had the free time to finish a post in a while. Work projects, home projects, family trips and a new fun purchase have kept me busy. But here is a quick update and a teaser for next season. I'm sure I'll find time to expand on some of what's to follow too so watch this space.

After the wrap and detail from my previous post, my car was one of the few 'center stage' cars at the local Checked It Out Chicago. I had the chance to share my Porsche story with the crowd which was a blast. Made some new friends too!

If someone can provide the photographer's name I'm happy to credit him/her for these photos.

Not long after the show I contemplated retiring the car from the track and picking up an E46 M3 to gut and track. That led me to the purchase of this literal barn find which turned out to be too sorted to gut. So, I'll restore it this winter and flip it this spring.

It was a cosmetic mess from sitting in a barn for a number of years but mechanically terrific. I can't dedicate the time to maintaining an ownership journal for the M3 that I do for the GTS but you can follow along with some of the restoration process here:
http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=602353

I also had the fortune of taking a trip out to Rennsport Reunion VI at Laguna Seca. I'll put together an album of my pics there and share that later. For me the highlight was meeting and talking the ear off of AP. He was very gracious to entertain a gawking fan.

I did get my hands dirty before retiring the car for the season. November was a total bust of a month. It rained every week and was too cold on R compound the days it didn't rain. Many of you can understand the frustration I'm sure. I at least made the best of the rainy days to either work on the M3 or, in this case, disassemble and restore the E88s. They seemed clean enough but upon further inspection for cracks boy was I wrong. A proper polish really turns these wheels into jewelry.

Finally, Porsche invited me to a 'private' event for the Mission E. They offered a more entertainment oriented evening session but I chose to attend a day session that focused on the technical aspects around the new Taycan and Porsche's move to EV. It was a terrific chance to speak to the Project Manager of the Mission E and learn more about how Porsche is approaching the challenges facing manufacturers moving into the EV space. They are going to make some incredible products for us. I'm very excited for what's to come. Free merch helps!

So what's next? Well more work on the M3 but for the 911? I bought a ducktail! I'll be installing that and thinking of some other, new design elements to add to the car during the winter season.

Preliminary thoughts are a Sport Classic tribute with stripes and/or graphics. Open to advice and thoughts from the forum there too!

Last edited by nwGTS; 11-22-2018 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-22-2018, 05:10 PM
pilfer
Racer

Happy Thanksgiving,

a ducktsil! I can’t wait to see that. What brand?
Old 11-24-2018, 02:24 PM
kru911
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 34 Posts

So what's next? Well more work on the M3 but for the 911? I bought a ducktail! I'll be installing that and thinking of some other, new design elements to add to the car during the winter season.

Preliminary thoughts are a Sport Classic tribute with stripes and/or graphics. Open to advice and thoughts from the forum there too!
Oooooh... perhaps with Fuch wheels? If I one day go 5-lug on my GTS, my first consideration will be a retro Fuch look. Miss the all-business look of the forged wheels on my SC Targa.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:57 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by pilfer
Happy Thanksgiving,

a ducktsil! I can’t wait to see that. What brand?
It's a Getty Ducktail and OEM third brake light delete panel. The duck is actually from fellow RL member Driven34. He converted his GTS to stock and we worked out a deal. Fantastic seller BTW. He's in Turkey so wiring the money was the only option. Totally painless.
It's literally this exact ducktail and will be repainted:

Originally Posted by kruinc
Oooooh... perhaps with Fuch wheels? If I one day go 5-lug on my GTS, my first consideration will be a retro Fuch look. Miss the all-business look of the forged wheels on my SC Targa.
Great minds think alike! If I don't rock the E88s I wanted the Sport Classic fuchs. I have a local friend (hexagone here on RL) who had a set on hand that I was going to buy but he sold them just before I could get my hands on them. They are NOT cheap and I'm not a fan of reps. So, I'll have my eye on the used market for those.
The following users liked this post:
mohawk5010 (09-18-2020)
Old 11-26-2018, 02:34 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Great minds think alike! If I don't rock the E88s I wanted the Sport Classic fuchs. I have a local friend (hexagone here on RL) who had a set on hand that I was going to buy but he sold them just before I could get my hands on them. They are NOT cheap and I'm not a fan of reps. So, I'll have my eye on the used market for those.
In case you hadn't seen yet, Forgeline just came out with their version of the Fuch "homage" last month @ SEMA. I'm sure you're familiar with their reputation. https://forgeline.com/wheel/fu3c/
Still not cheap, but might be easier than waiting around for an OEM used set to turn up.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:06 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,191 Likes on 549 Posts

"It's a Getty Ducktail and OEM third brake light delete panel. The duck is actually from fellow RL member Driven34. He converted his GTS to stock and we worked out a deal. Fantastic seller BTW. He's in Turkey so wiring the money was the only option. Totally painless.
It's literally this exact ducktail and will be repainted:"

Is this the tail you are "importing" from Istanbul?

I am intrigued by a switch to a ducktail, and perhaps the 997 Speedster front bumper, which I believe Driven34 had on his car, as well.

Thanks for any clarification.
Stay warm on the lake.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:56 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Yup, that's the same one with the benefit that the underside is meant for the dual snorkel X51 9A1 and it's already been prepped and painted. I just need to respray in A1 Black. I'm toying with going with the speedster lip but likely going to stay with the Aerokit Cup lip.
Old 11-26-2018, 06:26 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

Any thought of selling the aerokit decklid once you switch to the ducktail?
Old 11-26-2018, 06:44 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Fined
Any thought of selling the aerokit decklid once you switch to the ducktail?
An opportunist!
It took me all of five seconds to conclude that I'll be hanging onto the Aerokit decklid. They are NLA and I haven't seen one come up for sale here in a long time. So, it will go to storage before becoming wall art. And I'm confident I'll want to reinstall it at some point along the way too.

Old 11-26-2018, 07:15 PM
Fined
Three Wheelin'

Received 206 Likes on 140 Posts

An opportunist!
It took me all of five seconds to conclude that I'll be hanging onto the Aerokit decklid. They are NLA and I haven't seen one come up for sale here in a long time. So, it will go to storage before becoming wall art. And I'm confident I'll want to reinstall it at some point along the way too.

Probably a smart move. I'd buy it if you'd have sold it but I wouldn't advise it since like you said they are NLA and they don't even come up for sale often. I'm gonna keep my eyes peeled
Old 11-26-2018, 07:18 PM
Liste-Renn
Rennlist Member

Received 1,191 Likes on 549 Posts

"Yup, that's the same one with the benefit that the underside is meant for the dual snorkel X51 9A1 and it's already been prepped and painted. I just need to respray in A1 Black. I'm toying with going with the speedster lip but likely going to stay with the Aerokit Cup lip."

Nice that it is already primed- a $250 option from Getty. But considering the shipping cost from IST to ORD, I'm guessing you probably got a super deal from Driven34.
After all that he modded his GTS, he went back to stock (at least on the deck lid). Saving your old tail is probably a good call. No regrets later.

I have bought into the Ultraleggera CL wheel upgrade he did as well.
I hate to store my OEM CL "RS Spyder" GTS wheels, but perhaps the last WB/RWD/6SPM/LSD/HydroMech steering 911 will become a future "classic" and having all the OEM stock parts will prove to have been a good investment at resale time. Not that mine sits in a garage between diaper wipe downs...so my mods are not apt to fundamentally change my car's future value.

That said, any idea what a set of flawless GTS BBM painted OEM Spyder CL's are worth these days?
Old 11-26-2018, 07:31 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
Nice that it is already primed- a $250 option from Getty. But considering the shipping cost from IST to ORD, I'm guessing you probably got a super deal from Driven34.
Tracked shipping was just a hair over a hundred bucks. No brainer. And yes he gave me a very very good deal additionally... especially since he included the blank panel. Tracker says they arrive tomorrow!

Originally Posted by Liste-Renn
That said, any idea what a set of flawless GTS BBM painted OEM Spyder CL's are worth these days?
So hard to say since 1) they don't come up often and 2) they have such a limited market (GTS/TT/GT3/GT3RS/GT2RS) Lots of models but not a lot of volume. That said, depending on condition I'd expect a sorted set to go for 50-70% new. Just an educated guess though.
Old 11-26-2018, 07:31 PM
pilfer
Racer

Looking at his car makes me want to buy one now. I go back and forth on it constantly. Looking forward to seeing yours. Will you install it this winter?

Quick Reply: Life with a 997.2 GTS 6MT