Sponsored by:

Best Driving Roads in California

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2016, 07:50 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
FYI, a group of us had planned to do the Mt Hamilton run a couple of weeks ago. We were warned that it had recently been chip-sealed, and to avoid it through this Summer until it's had a chance to settle. Local route to me: Hwy 92 East-->Hwy 35 (Skyline Blvd) South (Alice's Restaurant along the way)-->Hwy 9 South--> Hwy 236 North--> Hwy 9 North--> Hwy 35 North--> Hwy 84 West--> Hwy 1 North or South.... There are several other routes within this envelope, Pescadero-La Honda Rd., Stage Rd., Empire Grade. Been running these since my teens, which seems only a few years ago. Then, of course, there's a whole slew of additional roads in Marin County, and heading East toward Yosemite. If/when you come this way, let us know.

Done this route on motorcycle and my Pcar. Way too may Leo's now due to the rising speeds on the road. I was stopped last time up there and it was a BS stop. Almost not worth it to travel that route anymore. Just can't do 35 on a road like that.
Old 04-17-2016, 07:59 PM
Jaybird33
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 22 Posts

Great info. Im making a list.
Old 04-17-2016, 08:08 PM
andy92782
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Some of my favorite SoCal twisty roads are in and around rural San Diego County.

Starting from Temecula, head south on Pechanga Parkway which turns into Pala-Temecula Rd:

When you intersect with CA-76, head east. After several miles, make a left onto Palomar Mountain Rd. You're in for a treat, just don't get stuck behind a Buick like the poor Google street view car did:

When you get to the top, make a left on S. Grade Rd. and drive all the way to the Observatory. Get out of the car and walk around the grounds to satisfy your inner geek by checking out the 200" Hale telescope:

Next, head back down S. Grade Road, pass by Mt. Palomar Rd. (the road you came up) and continue along E. Grade Road until it intersects back with Highway 76.

When you get to to the bottom of the hill at CA-76, turn left. Go about 3 or 4 miles and look for a road called Mesa Grande which will be on your right. Take it. This is the icing on the cake. Mesa Grande starts out with a bunch of tight twisties but eventually opens up into wide open sections where you *could* see triple digit speeds. Not that you should ever do anything dangerous like that. I'm just saying you could. Google doesn't have much street view coverage here but trust me, it's awesome.

When you reach CA-79, turn right and follow the signs for Julian. You're only 10 minutes away from a tasty slice of apple pie.

Consider taking CA-79 all the way back to Temecula via Warner Springs to complete the journey, or, if you really want an adventure, find your way over to S2 and head through Ranchita towards Borrego Springs:

Old 04-17-2016, 08:24 PM
ltcjmramos
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 151 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by RaidersR1
Done this route on motorcycle and my Pcar. Way too may Leo's now due to the rising speeds on the road. I was stopped last time up there and it was a BS stop. Almost not worth it to travel that route anymore. Just can't do 35 on a road like that.
Don't agree. Just did it this morning without a LEO in sight. Left home at 7, Alice's for breakfast, then onward. Busted down the road with a couple of motorcycles. Had a blast!

But, I must admit, I usually make my drives during the week not weekends. Being retired has advantages.

BTW, issue of rising speeds and enforcement has been an "issue" since the '60s.
Old 04-17-2016, 09:05 PM
RaidersR1
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ltcjmramos
Don't agree. Just did it this morning without a LEO in sight. Left home at 7, Alice's for breakfast, then onward. Busted down the road with a couple of motorcycles. Had a blast! But, I must admit, I usually make my drives during the week not weekends. Being retired has advantages. BTW, issue of rising speeds and enforcement has been an "issue" since the '60s.
Weekdays is better. It's too bad those that go fast sometimes shouldn't be. What can you do.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:58 AM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

As Joe mentioned, there are many great roads north of the GGB. One loop that is special -- if you leave early in the AM -- is the following:

https://goo.gl/thu8U3

Stop for lunch at Diavola in Geyserville and you should have a smile on your face for days.

Note that there are sections of this loop that are very technical, so practice makes perfect!

Another iteration of this loop is to pass the turn onto Annapolis Rd, head a bit further north to Pt. Arena, take a break climbing to the top of the lighthouse, and drive back down CA1 as it is a totally different road in reverse.

PS Sorry about the map but I'm up in Jackson, WY and a bit tech challenged.
PSS You should see some of the roads up here -- especially ID34 between Soda Springs, ID > Freedom, WY! Sort of wish that I had the 997 for this trip but I digress...
Attached Images  
Old 04-18-2016, 10:47 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,389 Likes on 806 Posts

odd that not a single car was encountered on the OP's initial vid. Must have been during the week.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:37 AM
jglaze
Racer

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Y'all are killing me...I miss Nor Cal!
Old 04-18-2016, 11:43 AM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 347 Likes on 159 Posts

This is all fantasy road p0rn to us in Chicagoland. Nearest twisties are two hours away.
Don't take this for granted, fellas.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:54 AM
Jaybird33
Rennlist Member

David

that map looks great. 185 miles....yes please!
Old 04-18-2016, 11:58 AM
Jaybird33
Rennlist Member

San Diego COunty...im putting this on the list
Old 04-18-2016, 12:42 PM
Sawborg
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

I was on Mulholland, PCH and Latigo and went back down Kanan Sat. afternoon/early evening. It was great! Latigo would have been perfect if it weren't for a pair of Chargers that wouldn't let me pass.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:16 PM
Alansglide
Pro

Received 84 Likes on 27 Posts

Did Stunt Piuma and Mulholland this past Sunday morning.

Only Leo's we saw were on Mulholland near the snake and rock store.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:23 PM
Nip are
Instructor

Received 55 Likes on 26 Posts

Great thread and could be a very long one. There are just so many great roads in California. One of my personal favorites is 74 (palms to pines) out of Palm Desert. I was there Friday on my Ducati and drafted a 991s all the way down. It was great because every car pulled over when they saw the 991 in their mirror.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:46 PM
ibdavid
Burning Brakes

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Among the best in Nor-Cal, highway 36.

Last edited by ibdavid; 04-18-2016 at 05:35 PM.

Quick Reply: Best Driving Roads in California