Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 997.1 C2S D Chunk woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2016 | 04:31 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
I haven't used this outfit but I have heard good things from those that have. Have also read they are cheaper and quicker turnaround than Jake. No relation but might be worth a call

http://www.mbmotorsportsrepair.com/index.html
I hear they pride themselves on customer relations Go to the 996 board and do a search.......whole bunch of win pops up.
Old 04-06-2016 | 07:50 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

I have similar problem in my BMW X5.
Dealer changed the oil. Did a repair to the oil filter area.
Car melted the bearings off the crankshaft, 1st and 2nd cylinder oil starvation.
Dealer claims the melting rods are not related to the repair 5oo kms ago.
Uhu.
Engine work is a drag. I have current experience to your plight o/p.
X5 has been at the dealer since march 4th. They sure are taking their sweet black forest time.
Got a call this afternoon. New OEM longblock being installed, shipped for end of this week-ish.
I've been on the looser cruise for a month, as my wife has my car.
I concur with the Jake engines, but time and Canadian peso, make funding this dream difficult.
Keep us posted on the progress, I / we have strong shoulders and tissues. Free therapy on Rennlist.
And dreams are posted with pictures
Let us know when your parts come in?
Attached Images  
Old 04-06-2016 | 09:15 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

adam roseneck from rennlist used mbs - said good things... not sure if adam can chime in personally as he sold the car ages ago , but from his posts he had scoring on all cylinders + d-chunk as well. if i recall mbs is in vegas, not sure if that effects shipping costs.

Originally Posted by phaphaphooey
I haven't used this outfit but I have heard good things from those that have. Have also read they are cheaper and quicker turnaround than Jake. No relation but might be worth a call

http://www.mbmotorsportsrepair.com/index.html
Old 04-06-2016 | 09:56 PM
nk215
Instructor

During my research on the 996 engine, I ran across someone saying that his/her engine also cracked on cylinder 1 due to bad casting. I don't recall seeing something similar on the 997 engine.
Old 04-06-2016 | 10:36 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

unfortunately it happens on 997s; cracked cylinder 2, bank 1.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...l#post11232230

Originally Posted by nk215
During my research on the 996 engine, I ran across someone saying that his/her engine also cracked on cylinder 1 due to bad casting. I don't recall seeing something similar on the 997 engine.
Old 04-06-2016 | 10:41 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by myw
if i recall mbs is in vegas, not sure if that effects shipping costs.
They were from Chicago. Started a shop called Porscheland. Porsche stopped it. They came back as Forscheland.....great name. Then changed to Mbmotorsports. They moved the shop from Chicago to Florida. I would not touch them with a 50' pole.
Old 04-06-2016 | 11:04 PM
artyve
Track Day

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
They were from Chicago. Started a shop called Porscheland. Porsche stopped it. They came back as Forscheland.....great name. Then changed to Mbmotorsports. They moved the shop from Chicago to Florida. I would not touch them with a 50' pole.
Sneaky Pete. There's gotta be a story there... let's hear it. I'm just curious at this point; I have decided that I want LN Engineering to do this job and make me a 4.0. Does anyone have links to other threads that have gone to the Nickies 4.0 and documented the process?
Old 04-07-2016 | 02:10 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by Arthur Li
Sneaky Pete. There's gotta be a story there... let's hear it. I'm just curious at this point; I have decided that I want LN Engineering to do this job and make me a 4.0. Does anyone have links to other threads that have gone to the Nickies 4.0 and documented the process?
LN doesn't build engines.. I build their engines. I do their development, they manufacture my parts. I was their first customer.

Pete has my 4.0, and he documented it pretty well last year.
Old 04-07-2016 | 09:16 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
LN doesn't build engines.. I build their engines. I do their development, they manufacture my parts. I was their first customer.

Pete has my 4.0, and he documented it pretty well last year.
So does LN sell rebuilt engines (built by Flat 6)? I thought they just sold the parts.
Old 04-07-2016 | 09:30 AM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by dgjks6
So does LN sell rebuilt engines (built by Flat 6)? I thought they just sold the parts.
No, they do not sell my engines. If they want an engine for a car that BILT Racing is building, for R&D, or for anyone there, we build it.

I only sell my engines direct, and personally.
Old 04-07-2016 | 09:55 AM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Sneaky Pete. There's gotta be a story there... let's hear it.
Oh there sure is....simple search on the 996 forum will give you some good bathroom material.
Old 04-07-2016 | 10:09 AM
Eurotrs
5th Gear

How many miles are on the car?
Old 04-07-2016 | 11:02 AM
Spiffyjiff
Rennlist Member

holy shi*tballs! i have/had plenty issues - incl many overrevs, ticking, smoke on start up (but only on track days) - but i sure hope jake doesn't see THIS when he opens up the case!!!
Old 04-07-2016 | 03:37 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Yes, I was told that D chunk normally is a consequence of scoring, but I don't see a whole lot of evidence of scoring to begin with.

On another note, just found out it's going to take LN Engineering about 4-6 weeks to fix my block. I'm not happy, but if I'm going this route, I have no choice.
I'm not saying the typical bore scoring problem is tied to D-chunking. I am saying that you caught the issue so early, that before the D chunk could seriously disform, no material was even shed that would have caused scoring. The typical bore scoring is a problem in and of itself. This is D-chunking. Scoring, were it to happen as a result of D-chunking, wouldn't be some mysterious thing, filled with theories, as is the typical scoring scenario.

This is a D chunk issue. Anything that happens as a result of that D chunk is secondary. These secondary issues might be relevant in that you could possibly have caught this so soon that you save on some internals during repair. If I threw metal shavings into my combustion chamber, I wouldn't say I have a scoring problem if scoring showed up. I'd have a "I threw metal shavings into my combustion chamber" problem.

I would like to hear if this is yet another consequence of an open-deck design not executed well.

Old 04-07-2016 | 03:44 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

D chunk is a resultant failure. This is normally created by a cracked cylinder that was operated too long, or a bore that was scored and the engine continued to see operation.

In short, D chunk is considered collateral damage; something must create a primary failure for D chunk to occur.

The problem is Google, and people using terms when they don't understand failure modes, or secondary forms of resultant damage.

The D chunk is always secondary. Some consider it a primary failure, because it is what stops the car from being driven to death even further.

if you hear a noise, STOP. If you are eating oil, STOP. If you have random misfires, with an engine eating oil, or making noise, STOP, because thats the final stage of driving a car to death.

NO noise is normal, if you drive it to death, you can double how far the wallet will need to pen to overcome your bad choices.

Quick Reply: 2006 997.1 C2S D Chunk woes