Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 997.1 C2S D Chunk woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2016, 03:52 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Open deck contribute to cracked cylinder and/or D chunk, Jack?

In this case, there appears to be a lack of scoring, so what we have is a D-chunk-to-be that was caught early, and the D-chunk-to-be was caught very early in its stages of being a cracked cylinder.

So... we have a cracked cylinder... and I'm guessing we want to stop guessing as to contributing factors until the engine is inspected in full... ?

Old 04-07-2016, 09:01 PM
artyve
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Philster
Open deck contribute to cracked cylinder and/or D chunk, Jack?

In this case, there appears to be a lack of scoring, so what we have is a D-chunk-to-be that was caught early, and the D-chunk-to-be was caught very early in its stages of being a cracked cylinder.

So... we have a cracked cylinder... and I'm guessing we want to stop guessing as to contributing factors until the engine is inspected in full... ?

I'm hoping that my mechanic will have the block opened up by next week. Not sure if that will shed any light on the problem though. BTW, how come there are almost zero videos of the Nickies 4.0 in action or any performance numbers?
Old 04-07-2016, 11:12 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Arthur Li
I'm hoping that my mechanic will have the block opened up by next week. Not sure if that will shed any light on the problem though. BTW, how come there are almost zero videos of the Nickies 4.0 in action or any performance numbers?
This is the thread of my cars transformation. Most owners of a Raby 4.0 never go to RL. I have only seen a handful here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...97s-owner.html
Old 04-08-2016, 12:25 PM
artyve
Track Day

Originally Posted by Sneaky Pete
This is the thread of my cars transformation. Most owners of a Raby 4.0 never go to RL. I have only seen a handful here.

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...97s-owner.html
Thanks Pete! I've got some reading material for between meetings this afternoon. I just find it strange how there's pretty much no videos on youtube about the 3.8 to 4.0 conversion. I'd imagine if I did this conversion, I'd put up at least a few videos showing the difference.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:36 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Arthur Li
Thanks Pete! I've got some reading material for between meetings this afternoon. I just find it strange how there's pretty much no videos on youtube about the 3.8 to 4.0 conversion. I'd imagine if I did this conversion, I'd put up at least a few videos showing the difference.
Most of the FSI cadre seem to be pretty quiet about their cars.
Old 04-08-2016, 12:41 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Most of the FSI cadre seem to be pretty quiet about their cars.
Yep... And we like that. No false image BS, which I hate. No bling, which I also hate. I purposely don't have T shirts, hats, or other apparel. I want someone to buy an engine, not anything else.

If we posted videos, (I've posted one video on youtube in 3 years) advertised, (Haven't advertised engines specifically since 2009, and that was one ad!) and sent out newsletters (Haven't released one in almost a year) we'd be at 2+ years of backlog rather than 1 year+.

No use doing any of that when our program is happy right where its at, in the middle of its sweet spot for exceeding expectations, and simply working. People seek us out, and their friends share experiences with us. Thats what nets us our work, and those are the people who we want to work with.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:45 PM
gpjli2
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fwiw: this is the third 997 reporting this type of failure on this board and 6 speed. They are all located in Canada. The relationship between northern clime and Porsche engine failure is scary.
Old 04-08-2016, 09:51 PM
Flat6 Innovations
Former Vendor

Received 2,293 Likes on 903 Posts

Originally Posted by gpjli2
Fwiw: this is the third 997 reporting this type of failure on this board and 6 speed. They are all located in Canada. The relationship between northern clime and Porsche engine failure is scary.
No one wants to listen to me when I make that relation. They say it's ludicrous.

If someone drives an engine with a scored cylinder long enough to fully D chunk the cylinder, that's driver error as much as it is engine failure.
Old 04-09-2016, 01:25 AM
artyve
Track Day

Originally Posted by Flat6 Innovations
No one wants to listen to me when I make that relation. They say it's ludicrous.

If someone drives an engine with a scored cylinder long enough to fully D chunk the cylinder, that's driver error as much as it is engine failure.
Out of curiosity, how would someone know they have a scored cylinder? I didn't notice anything until I started her up this spring, and I towed her to my mechanic almost immediately.
Old 04-09-2016, 08:04 AM
nk215
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think they are generalizing (D chunk is typically a result of scoring). There is no scoring on the picture you provided so I don't think that's the case in your situation.

I am no expert (flat 6 is) but I think something in your system broke (piece of rubber etc) and locally block a passage right near the crack. Local heating formed the crack and it grew into a D chunk. It should have scored the wall first however. That's why this failure makes little sense.

A better guess would be a defect in the casting. Micro cracks are already there from the beginning.

The first symptom of cylinder scoring is an increase usage of oil --> uneven blacken of the exhaust tip. By the time people can physically feel the effect on performance, that's too late.

I hope everything will be back better than new for you.
Old 04-18-2016, 12:23 PM
mannn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update on your car Arthur?
Old 04-20-2016, 12:36 PM
artyve
Track Day

Originally Posted by mannn
Any update on your car Arthur?
Not much update at this time except that the block has been disassembled. LNE has shipped an empty crate to my mechanic. Once it arrives, my mechanic will package the blocks in the crate and ship it to LNE to work on. Most likely the block halves won't be back from LNE until June.

Mechanic gave me a full breakdown of what I'll be getting. Here's a summary off the top of my head:

-get the block sleeved with the nikasil 4.0 + pistons, rings
-heads machined
-IMS from LNE
-bearings from LNE
-new gaskets, bolts, hoses, chains, water pump, oil separators
-new plugs, coils

On the list of considerations:
-IPD Plenum
-not sure what else???
Old 04-20-2016, 02:54 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 349 Likes on 160 Posts

So you'll have a 4.0 M97 build then?? Is that correct? Different rods? any idea what the bore and stroke will be? This is AWESOME if you are going to 4.0! Would love to see and read more about this. Not many do this upgrade (though yours was of necessity). So, sharing this with the community would be a nice treat.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:30 PM
Sneaky Pete
Nordschleife Master

Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts

Art.....you will likey this ALOT! Shameless plug now, I will have a used IPD comp plenum and GT3 TB available in June. PM if interested.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:38 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Wow...

Making the proverbial lemons into lemonade.

Quick Reply: 2006 997.1 C2S D Chunk woes