Sponsored by:

2006 997.1 C2S D Chunk woes

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-2016, 10:34 PM
artyve
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006 997.1 C2S D Chunk woes

A little background: I have owned my 2006 997.1 C2S for the past 3 years. I live in Toronto, Canada so I don't drive her in the winter months of November through March. During these months, she sits in my garage with a trickle charger hooked up to the battery. This March, I started her up to get her ready for spring time. I noticed the engine choked on start up a couple times, but eventually started. Upon inspection, I noticed white smoke coming from the passenger side exhaust. It smelled kind of sweet: indication of coolant leaking into the cylinders. Here's what it looked like:

HTML Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dotv2KZRTNc
I contacted my mechanic and got her towed to his shop. He pressure tested the coolant system and informed me there was nothing out of the ordinary. Next step was a leakdown test. Leakdown test showed all other cylinders leaking < 10%. However, cylinder 1 was leaking 76%. Big problem. He took the head off to reveal a crack in cylinder 1. There's our problem. Upon rolling back the piston, we can see what looks to be a D chunk about to start. Yay!

We discussed various options, one of which was to get the block to LN Engineering to get the Nickies sleeves installed. If we're doing that, we might as well up the displacement from 3.8 to 4.0, so he's currently looking into getting the Nickies 4.0 package with JE pistons, rings, pins and clips. While I'm doing this, I'll also be getting the IMS from LN Engineering as well.

At the same time, I wanted to be doubly sure that the heads were good, so he took the heads to get flow tested and cleaned up. Results of that were that the heads were fine except for a bit of warping, which required machining. Today I went to the shop and the heads are back from being cleaned up and machined!

He also mentioned that the people who installed my fabspeed exhaust installed one of the gaskets backwards which severely limited the exhaust flow from that side which may have contributed to the head being warped. Here's how the gasket was supposed to be installed:

Here's how it was ACTUALLY installed:

Once the crankcase is opened, it may reveal more surprises as a consequence of this (possibly worn main bearings, etc.). We will see more once he gets it open. Will keep you posted!
Old 04-06-2016, 10:26 AM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 602 Likes on 357 Posts

Please keep us updated.

To the experts here, how is it possible that cylinder cracking / d-chunk is possible without any visible cylinder scoring lines ?? Thanks in advance
Old 04-06-2016, 10:46 AM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Amazingly, it just started and it didn't deform or lose material enough to score anything. Eventually, material would have separated and led to scoring, warping would get bad, then even more scoring.

You were on top of it damn quick.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:10 AM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Damn. On the bright side, FSI does damn good work, and their 4.0 engines are monsters.

If your wallet can stomach the cost and the wait time, you'll get an engine back that will be unique and better than factory.
Old 04-06-2016, 11:57 AM
artyve
Track Day

Originally Posted by Philster
Amazingly, it just started and it didn't deform or lose material enough to score anything. Eventually, material would have separated and led to scoring, warping would get bad, then even more scoring.

You were on top of it damn quick.
Yes, I was told that D chunk normally is a consequence of scoring, but I don't see a whole lot of evidence of scoring to begin with.

On another note, just found out it's going to take LN Engineering about 4-6 weeks to fix my block. I'm not happy, but if I'm going this route, I have no choice.
Old 04-06-2016, 12:22 PM
semicycler
Three Wheelin'

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Not sure that bore scoring and d-chuck are related other than both being engine failures. This d-chuck is cylinder #1 in bank 1. Bore scoring happens mostly in bank 2 on the opposite side of the engine, cylinders #6, then #4 & #5.

What bank had the exhaust manifold gasket installed incorrectly? The same bank as the d-chunk cylinder? I can understand the warped head being connected to the improper gasket install. Perhaps it's also connected to the cylinder #1 d-chunk?
Old 04-06-2016, 12:27 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by semicycler
Not sure that bore scoring and d-chuck are related other than both being engine failures. This d-chuck is cylinder #1 in bank 1. Bore scoring happens mostly in bank 2 on the opposite side of the engine, cylinders #6, then #4 & #5.

What bank had the exhaust manifold gasket installed incorrectly? The same bank as the d-chunk cylinder? I can understand the warped head being connected to the improper gasket install. Perhaps it's also connected to the cylinder #1 d-chunk?
I was wondering this as well. Excessive heat build up as seen by the missing pieces of the gasket in the corresponding area of fracture initiation?
Old 04-06-2016, 12:58 PM
artyve
Track Day

Originally Posted by docdrs
I was wondering this as well. Excessive heat build up as seen by the missing pieces of the gasket in the corresponding area of fracture initiation?
Oh, that is possible. Yes, there are noticeable chunks missing from the gasket, and it is made from metal. Is anyone able to figure out from the pictures which bank that exhaust manifold connects to?
Old 04-06-2016, 01:19 PM
artyve
Track Day

Actually, I just talked to my mechanic. He says the gasket is from bank 2, so that theory is out. Also, even if it were in bank 1, any pieces from the gasket would have flowed away from the engine, not toward it.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:31 PM
docdrs
Rennlist Member

Received 73 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Arthur Li

On another note, just found out it's going to take LN Engineering about 4-6 weeks to fix my block. I'm not happy, but if I'm going this route, I have no choice.
Well at least it isn't the greatest of weather up here yet. Better now than having to do this in the middle of June or July
Old 04-06-2016, 02:13 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 602 Likes on 357 Posts

Originally Posted by docdrs
Well at least it isn't the greatest of weather up here yet. Better now than having to do this in the middle of June or July
agreed, saw some wrecked car that dropped right into the ditch into the 400 this morning. had some other buddies that swapped back to summer tires wayyyyyyyy too early, they had to get their cars towed after doing some 360 spins.

weather has been horrid, i saw snow forecast for next monday but hopefully it'll clear up.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:03 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,642 Likes on 979 Posts

When my M96 engine blew a few years ago, I contacted Jake Raby for a possible rebuild. I decided against it and sold the car a roller due to the fact I had 197K miles on the chassis..... I just purchased a 2009 C2S....

Anywho.... in speaking with Jake, he addresses the multiple failure modes in the engine when he rebuilds. You may want to contact him and ask him what he does and maybe he will sell your shop the upgraded parts for them to install.

Something to think about.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 04-06-2016, 03:33 PM
phaphaphooey
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I haven't used this outfit but I have heard good things from those that have. Have also read they are cheaper and quicker turnaround than Jake. No relation but might be worth a call

http://www.mbmotorsportsrepair.com/index.html
Old 04-06-2016, 03:45 PM
destro
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh man, sorry to see that, keep us update hopefully will see you on the street later in the season!
Old 04-06-2016, 03:51 PM
Devil Boy
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That's a real bummer but you did good catching it early. Sounds like you are on the right track to getting it fixed up.

Quick Reply: 2006 997.1 C2S D Chunk woes