Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 09:14 PM
tbrom
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A cracked piston - so why a new engine? Can't the cylinder head be taken off on one side and the piston be replaced - does the rod have to come out or just the piston - seems like you should be able to find a tech to take the engine down and take care of the problem - no? Why would the entire engine need to be replaced? Man if that's all it takes to need a replacement engine these cars must be disposable. Can you sell it for 15k and put that with the 25k and buy another one? Maybe it's time to get a 997.2?

I'm very sorry to hear this but it makes one wonder about Porsche there is no substitute - maybe they should change the slogan to Porsche there are plenty of substitute engines and PDK trannies in our warehouse for your use.....

This is pretty sad. Makes me wonder if I should buy one. I mean this is the third engine to go kaput recently isn't it? D-chunk, cylinder scoring, IMS, RMS - I'd say that the 997.1 has surely had an abundance of issues. Sure hope there is an alternative to a 25k bill. All the best of luck!
Old 03-21-2014, 12:43 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,031 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Edgy01
I melted a piston in my Turbo once and it smoked like that! Sounds like they found out the problem.
And you still gave him this advice....?????

https://rennlist.com/forums/11202334-post26.html
Old 03-21-2014, 11:41 AM
StormRune
Rennlist Member

Received 671 Likes on 359 Posts

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
Condolences re the car and GL with PCNA. FWIW, Hartech writes about how they're seeing gently driven cars come in with engine failures... they have an interesting perspective on why this occurs. http://hartech.org/docs/buyers%20gui...20part%205.pdf
Thanks for posting this reference! (The hyperlink didn't work correctly, but I found it anyway). An impressively in-depth evaluation. One of my main take-aways is that I now feel better about driving the car a lot harder when the right occasions arise... just for maintenance you know... gotta let those pistons expand fully into the cylinders every so often.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:55 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by StormRune
Thanks for posting this reference! (The hyperlink didn't work correctly, but I found it anyway). An impressively in-depth evaluation. One of my main take-aways is that I now feel better about driving the car a lot harder when the right occasions arise... just for maintenance you know... gotta let those pistons expand fully into the cylinders every so often.
Thanks for the catch... link updated.
Old 03-21-2014, 02:42 PM
TheLooch
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The official verdict is cracked cylinder wall in the number two cylinder... strange because they car has never been over revved or over heated... Trying to work with dealer to get Porsche to cover it for free... It was denied but I am appealing... a 24k mile car that was always properly serviced should not need to have an engine replaced.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:09 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 573 Likes on 342 Posts

best of luck and keep us updated.

cracked cylinder wall in bank 1 is very very rare. i would have expected this problem to be on the 2nd bank.

Originally Posted by TheLooch
The official verdict is cracked cylinder wall in the number two cylinder... strange because they car has never been over revved or over heated... Trying to work with dealer to get Porsche to cover it for free... It was denied but I am appealing... a 24k mile car that was always properly serviced should not need to have an engine replaced.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:17 PM
extanker
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

ouch...i thought it was the AOS. how far out of warranty is it [time wise] ?
Old 03-21-2014, 03:20 PM
USMC_DS1
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by myw
best of luck and keep us updated.

cracked cylinder wall in bank 1 is very very rare. i would have expected this problem to be on the 2nd bank.
+1... especially as smoke was coming out of the driver side pipes. There may be other issues yet to be discovered... perhaps after the engine has been torn down. OP, best of luck with PCNA.
Old 03-21-2014, 03:37 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

it's an 06, so i figure original warranty expired 4 years ago in 2010; even with another 2 years cpo the warranty would have expired 2012 (2 years ago - best case scenario).

i do believe theLooch has a warranted argument, he is the original owner with full service history (i think from dealer). they can easily do a DME scan to see if the car was abused or not in the 25k miles of original ownership.

Originally Posted by extanker
ouch...i thought it was the AOS. how far out of warranty is it [time wise] ?
+911.

Originally Posted by USMC_DS1
+1... especially as smoke was coming out of the driver side pipes. There may be other issues yet to be discovered....
Old 03-22-2014, 09:50 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 253 Likes on 162 Posts

96 owner here, but always looking at other threads. This one caught my eye. My car is currently at UFO motorsports in CA getting an engine rebuild (I live in Ohio - don't ask). Anyway, they have been working on these engines for a long time. Talked with the mechanic yesterday and he was telling me about all of the Carrera S 3.8 engines they are seeing with cracked cylinders and they are having a hard time getting parts. He said a new case half is $6000.

It still may be cheaper for you to find someone to rebuild it rather than an entire new engine.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:34 PM
utkinpol
Rennlist Member

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

What you rebuild total $ is going to be? I wonder how it all gets affected by factory jerking up parts costs, it sux.
Old 03-22-2014, 04:07 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Delete

Delete
Old 03-22-2014, 04:10 PM
user 72902
Banned

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default delete

delete
Old 03-22-2014, 04:28 PM
Dartmouth
Burning Brakes

Received 120 Likes on 65 Posts

Anyone know of another reputable (non-dealership) place in NJ for Porsche service??
Mike Bavaro. Ocean Township, NJ.
He's the best. Bodymotion is his company.
Old 03-22-2014, 05:22 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

from what i've heard from those who have talked to (aftermarket) engine rebuilders, labour alone runs 7-10 grand plus parts on top depending upon whats damaged. a rebuilt engine relatively 'bulletproofed' with performance upgrades - (nikisil coated cylinders, forged pistons, crank balanced with lightened flywheel etc etc) i think is in the neighborhood of 20-25k. i've seen also seen some motors punched to 4.0L

Originally Posted by utkinpol
What you rebuild total $ is going to be? I wonder how it all gets affected by factory jerking up parts costs, it sux.

Quick Reply: SMOKE SMOKE SMOKE!!