Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bluetooth A2DP Solution? New

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2017, 09:37 AM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 159 Posts

To minimize hiccups I use the following process. Pair phone. Connect tune2air. Connect via Bluetooth to tune2air.

Also, always lock your car and try to get the phone out of range. If the car is off and the phone is in range, next time I get in the car the iPhone will not show up.

But for some reason you can play music through the aux setting wirelessly even though there is nothing connected there?

Overall I like it but it is old tech. Luckily I like listening to the tick tick tick of my 9a1
Old 12-27-2017, 11:21 AM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dgjks6
To minimize hiccups I use the following process. Pair phone. Connect tune2air. Connect via Bluetooth to tune2air.

Also, always lock your car and try to get the phone out of range. If the car is off and the phone is in range, next time I get in the car the iPhone will not show up.

But for some reason you can play music through the aux setting wirelessly even though there is nothing connected there?

Overall I like it but it is old tech. Luckily I like listening to the tick tick tick of my 9a1
My experience is similar to this.
The issue is that power to the tune2air is on a delay to the ignition, so when you turn the car off the tune2air stays powered and connected to your phone. If I run into a problem, cycling bluetooth on my phone usually fixes the problem (except when it doesnt )
I think there is also limitations with how PCM recognizes that an ipod has been connected and how 30pin works.
It's not perfect, but the tune2air is the best solution and usually works great once it's connected. I read somewhere that performance improves if you use *only* the tune2air and don't connect to the BT phone in the car. I havent done any testing on this as mine works well enough.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:53 PM
rjshar
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking about trying to get a Chromecast Audio to work off of a phone hotspot. I'll let you know if I have any luck, but if it does work it will definitely have the best audio quality of any Bluetooth streaming solution.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:54 PM
BillNye
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rjshar
I'm thinking about trying to get a Chromecast Audio to work off of a phone hotspot. I'll let you know if I have any luck, but if it does work it will definitely have the best audio quality of any Bluetooth streaming solution.
Meh.
The benefits of a chromecast audio are more conducive to a home installation than mobile. All things considered it will be about the same quality as an A2DP connection. It's still going to be subject to the same interference as a wired aux connection as well. Streaming audio from a phone is only lower quality because streaming apps are set to reduce data usage by downloading a lower bitrate file. Usually, there is a setting to stream at a higher quality on cell connections if you're so inclined.
Also, I don't know about you, but my phone won't automatically turn on the hotspot. To me, one of the benefits of BT is having audio start playing without having to fiddle with my phone whenever I get in the car.
Old 01-03-2018, 10:01 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Received 390 Likes on 198 Posts
Default Got My Bovee 1000 Today!

Got my new BT solution delivered today... a little stocking stuffer to myself. I’ll set it up this weekend and let everyone know how it works in my 2010 4S Cab. Thanks for all the great info on this and looking forward to finally being able to stream Pandora in my 911

Old 01-07-2018, 06:19 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Default Initial Impressions from Week One

This thing works exactly as advertised. The set up on my 2010 4S Cab (PCM 3.0) is my iPhone 7 plus the OEM Y cable from Suncoast. On the Y cable, the round iPod connector and the USB plug into the car at one end, while the 30-pin connector at the other end plugs into the Bovee 1000, which then pairs via Bluetooth with my iPhone 7. This works 100% seamlessly with my PCM, and my iPhone works perfectly

Installation and use is dead simple. After plugging it in and initially pairing the Bovee with my iPhone (which took all of 60 seconds), it now automatically connects every time I start my car. Just like a wired iPhone or iPod, you just choose “iPod” from the Source menu and you’re good to go. All song info shows up on the PCM as it should, I can control the music from my steering wheel controls (or from my iPhone), and I can choose either my music library or any streaming service like Pandora or Spotify from my phone. All in, for $89 this is an impressive and cost-effective seamless introduction of streaming music capability for PCM 3.0 that pretty much matches what I have on my 2012 Cayenne (PCM 3.1). Thanks for all the suggestions on this thread, and I highly recommend this to others who are looking for a great and cheap upgrade to BT streaming music that is fully integrated into the native PCM 3.0 functionality.
Old 01-07-2018, 06:30 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Glad it worked for you!

I wish it would display song info on android phones, but it looks like that feature only works for iPhones.

One tip I remember reading somewhere: Make sure you lock the car when you get out. Apparently sometimes, it may screw up with the unit if you don’t. I always lock my car, so hasn’t been an issue for me.

Old 01-07-2018, 08:18 PM
heatz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My unit was supposed to arrive yesterday, but no show - hopefully tomorrow. Are you also able to pair the iPhone with the PCM for phone calls at the same time? My phone (5s) pairs with PCM all the time, but its hit or miss as to whether the phone audio comes through the PCM system. It ALWAYS mutes the music when a call comes in, but doesn't always pipe the phone audio through the speakers.
Thx
Eric
Old 01-07-2018, 08:41 PM
dgjks6
Drifting

Received 243 Likes on 159 Posts

iPhone phone calls paired with PCM
Music/iTunes/audible paired with bovie. Don't know how it does it's magic but it does.
Old 01-07-2018, 08:49 PM
North Shore 911
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by heatz
My unit was supposed to arrive yesterday, but no show - hopefully tomorrow. Are you also able to pair the iPhone with the PCM for phone calls at the same time? My phone (5s) pairs with PCM all the time, but its hit or miss as to whether the phone audio comes through the PCM system. It ALWAYS mutes the music when a call comes in, but doesn't always pipe the phone audio through the speakers.
Thx
Eric
Heatz,

Yup, my iPhone 7 pairs fine and always routs through to the PCM for all phone functions (steering wheel controls, phonebook, etc.). This has always worked for a 5s, a 6, and now a 7 with no problems. That said, I regularly delete old phones from the “Paired Devices” list just to make sure there’s nothing to confuse the BT pairing process. I’ve found all kinds of weird gremlins in my PCM over the years, so you may want to delete all devices in your current list - including your current phone - then pair it up again from scratch with no other devices in the list and see if that helps ...

Enjoy the Bovee when you get it installed and post up your experience
Old 01-09-2018, 08:50 AM
heatz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My Bovee and iPod cable arriveed yesterday and I had it hooked up and working in minutes. Works as advertised and I am very happy with the solution. 20011 997.2 + iPhone 5s + Bovee1000 + iPod cable (from suncoast). Streaming pandora, details show up on PCM screen and PCM buttons work to skip when needed. Have not configured steering wheel controls yet, not sure that will work.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:04 AM
urbanscribe
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Bovee bump

Running with a full 8inch LTE android tablet front end on a magnetic bracket. (Waze, podcasts, music, torque, etc).

iPhone to pcm directly.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:09 AM
oslermarine
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

Do you need the universal adaptor option to do this? I got a 997.2 c2s without adapter option 870.
Old 01-09-2018, 11:47 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Does anyone know how the Bovee 1000 compares to the Firefly?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HDO66NK/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01HDO66NK&pd_rd_wg=KDkxy&pd_rd_r=V9AX3TQEHQEE7QQHWAG8&pd_rd_w=9K73P&smid=A3QY80NORGXT27 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01HDO66NK/ref=sspa_dk_detail_4?psc=1&pd_rd_i=B01HDO66NK&pd_rd_wg=KDkxy&pd_rd_r=V9AX3TQEHQEE7QQHWAG8&pd_rd_w=9K73P&smid=A3QY80NORGXT27
Old 01-09-2018, 01:02 PM
F308gt4
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

I had something similar (note: They can be bought for less than $5 on ebay/amazon). It works fine, but, since it is going through AUX input, you can not control the music though the PCM or steering wheel controls. If you want to skip songs, etc, you need to do it from your phone.

Quick Reply: Bluetooth A2DP Solution? New