Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2020, 05:52 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
It was never worth anything like that. It's worth less than a standard GTS first off, and Guards Red, though loved by some, isn't great for resale. The best part is 5k miles and it's "in the wrapper" new looking though I don't get why the steering wheel is discolored in the pictures. It may be a reflection as I saw this car in person at CNC and it was mint. Before Covid $84k max. Now? Not much difference.
Knowing what Porsche Warrington sold their 2 GTS4 manuals for would give us a clearer picture. Sure, the GTS4 is "rare" but it is a rebadged Powerkit C4S with all the options, so in effect, not unique outside of production numbers; not that many powerkit C4S are running around, but the point being it isn't a unique car that wasn't built with a different badge. How long

The standard GTS is the only widebody RWD 997 Carrera outside of the sport classic; you can't get that anywhere else.

I had a GR "rare" build previously, and it was no benefit come resale time. GR is one of the least popular colors out there. Arena Red or Carmine: both are much more attractive, and if a Rubystone came up, my wife would force us to buy it. But GR? It takes the right buyer. How long as Overton been sitting on this? Only manual 4GTS in the country, higher miles, but I am sure a decent offer would have taken it by now.

https://www.overtonautomotive.com/ca...he-911-2012-4/
The following users liked this post:
ThomasCarreraGTS (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 06:12 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

Originally Posted by raidersfan
Knowing what Porsche Warrington sold their 2 GTS4 manuals for would give us a clearer picture. Sure, the GTS4 is "rare" but it is a rebadged Powerkit C4S with all the options, so in effect, not unique outside of production numbers; not that many powerkit C4S are running around, but the point being it isn't a unique car that wasn't built with a different badge. How long

The standard GTS is the only widebody RWD 997 Carrera outside of the sport classic; you can't get that anywhere else.

I had a GR "rare" build previously, and it was no benefit come resale time. GR is one of the least popular colors out there. Arena Red or Carmine: both are much more attractive, and if a Rubystone came up, my wife would force us to buy it. But GR? It takes the right buyer. How long as Overton been sitting on this? Only manual 4GTS in the country, higher miles, but I am sure a decent offer would have taken it by now.

Agree. The GTS was never intended to be offered with 4WD. It was designed to serve as a more street friendly GT3, with RWD and the extremely rare wide body. In fact, the car was planned to have an alcantara interior and no rear seats, though both could be - and typically were - added back in for little or no cost. To me, the 4WD version is just styling cues and center lock wheels added to a C4S- not so special. The only reason Porsche added the 4WD option 6 months later was because of complaints from cold weather countries who felt they could not sell RWD 911s. A RWD wide body 911 is very, very rare and special. Add in the exclusive center lock wheels, added horsepower, GT2 side skirts, sport front end special styling cues and the tined suspension, and the GTS becomes very rare and extremely desirable, as evidenced by all the recent press and the higher resale values.

Old 05-16-2020, 06:18 PM
OvertonAutomotive
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Had it since October and bought it for myself. I had it listed higher in case the right offer came around. Now that summer is almost here I've dropped it to the second lowest priced GTS out there. Only one cheaper is one with 52k and I can assure anyone it is not in the condition mine is. My car is immaculate and freshly serviced with all new tires.

Just detailed yesterday -

prost893 (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 06:28 PM
gmorat
Rennlist Member

Received 143 Likes on 89 Posts

I love this car but the other side of the country might as well be on the moon ATM.

I'll resume my search for for a 997.2 when things aren't so fraught and when I have the ability to drive the car I buy.

Originally Posted by OvertonAutomotive
Had it since October and bought it for myself. I had it listed higher in case the right offer came around. Now that summer is almost here I've dropped it to the second lowest priced GTS out there. Only one cheaper is one with 52k and I can assure anyone it is not in the condition mine is. My car is immaculate and freshly serviced with all new tires.

OvertonAutomotive (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 07:20 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by ThomasCarreraGTS
Agree. The GTS was never intended to be offered with 4WD. It was designed to serve as a more street friendly GT3, with RWD and the extremely rare wide body. In fact, the car was planned to have an alcantara interior and no rear seats, though both could be - and typically were - added back in for little or no cost. To me, the 4WD version is just styling cues and center lock wheels added to a C4S- not so special. The only reason Porsche added the 4WD option 6 months later was because of complaints from cold weather countries who felt they could not sell RWD 911s. A RWD wide body 911 is very, very rare and special. Add in the exclusive center lock wheels, added horsepower, GT2 side skirts, sport front end special styling cues and the tined suspension, and the GTS becomes very rare and extremely desirable, as evidenced by all the recent press and the higher resale values.
How odd. How many people need performance in the snow out of a GTS, and for those that do, how many use it as their only car? These cars are pretty darn good with the right tires. Clearance is an issue, but the 4 doesn't change that.

I perhaps see a Cayman or 911 once a year up at the ski area, and only on nicer days. On snowy days, you won't have the clearance to get in and out of the parking lot.
Old 05-16-2020, 07:20 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by OvertonAutomotive

Good looking car!
OvertonAutomotive (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 07:51 PM
OvertonAutomotive
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

I would disagree having owned a 997.1 C2S and a C4S and a 991 C2S and a C4S. I always liked the driving style of the AWD car better. I feel it is more planted and I can get on the power much earlier coming out of a corner. I've driven both on HWY 129 in NC, and on track and I just like the heavier front end on the AWD in both situations Just fits my driving style better. While the AWD may have been implemented for running to the alps to go skiing, I think in the later years it's gotten very beneficial for performance.

As we all know it's a very close margin between a 2wd and 4wd in the 997.

Of course if it rains, the 4S will blister the 2S
david (05-17-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 08:47 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

How odd. How many people need performance in the snow out of a GTS, and for those that do, how many use it as their only car? These cars are pretty darn good with the right tires. Clearance is an issue, but the 4 doesn't change that.

I perhaps see a Cayman or 911 once a year up at the ski area, and only on nicer days. On snowy days, you won't have the clearance to get in and out of the parking lot.
Not odd at all. Rear wheel drive is considered the ultimate driving experience. Even Lamborghini removes the AWD systems for their limited production and exclusive performance editions. There is a published article out there with the Porsche executive who stated this. I think maybe it is the previous “Mr 911”. I’m sure you can Google it if you care.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:03 PM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Not odd at all. Rear wheel drive is considered the ultimate driving experience. Even Lamborghini removes the AWD systems for their limited production and exclusive performance editions. There is a published article out there with the Porsche executive who stated this. I think maybe it is the previous “Mr 911”. I’m sure you can Google it if you care.
I find it very odd that there would be much demand for a GTS4 over a GTS. A GTS is a much better driving experience due to the RWD and lighter weight nature of the car. I owned a C4S and a C2S (both 997.2) and preferred the C2S over the C4S.
ThomasCarreraGTS (05-16-2020)
Old 05-16-2020, 10:23 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

I find it very odd that there would be much demand for a GTS4 over a GTS. A GTS is a much better driving experience due to the RWD and lighter weight nature of the car. I owned a C4S and a C2S (both 997.2) and preferred the C2S over the C4S.

Agree completely. It wasn't demand, as much as it was the ability to market a special, limited supply model for the cold-weather northern countries during the time the 997 was exiting production, and the wait was on for the new 991.

Old 05-16-2020, 10:36 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

^^^ My experience with Guards Red is that it is much more liquid that other shades of red and pretty much anything pre-991. Different shades seem to have gotten more popular on the new 911s, especially the 991.2 GTS and etc., but we are dealing with a new and different type of customer here.

No doubt Arena Red looks good on and was somewhat popular on the 993tt. Both me and a dealer friend of mine has had this very conversation and agreed that shades of red other guards can be tricky to find the right person.

At the end of the day it is all personal choice, but the safe shades for quick and easy resale are silver, white, Guards Red and black.

RE: AWD v. RWD

They both drive great, but I don't think it is truly needed on the NA 911 engine because of the anemic torque. AWD is great on the turbos. My choice will always be a wide body Porsche 911. If I can only get the widest body in turbo or AWD, I will buy the turbo or AWD.

Again, personal preferences, but I doubt most people purchasing 997.2s will really notice a difference in dry driving dynamics between a GTS RWD and a GTS AWD.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doug H:
8Lug (05-18-2020), vtgt (05-16-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 01:18 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Those who say that RWD v. AWD does not matter have never driven the following route in an AWD or RWD 911 during a few showers, the June Gloom or a righteous storm:

https://bit.ly/2WBy2PI
The following 2 users liked this post by david:
Liste-Renn (11-03-2020), OvertonAutomotive (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 02:29 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by david
Those who say that RWD v. AWD does not matter have never driven the following route in an AWD or RWD 911 during a few showers, the June Gloom or a righteous storm:

https://bit.ly/2WBy2PI

Or maybe someone who says this is driving beyond their skill level? I've driven over 110,000 miles in RWD 911's including a flash flood situation yesterday, ice, desert driving with high winds and of course on tracks. I've NEVER wished for 4WD and the extra complexity, maintenance and reduced feel that the system adds.

But maybe thats just me.

Liste-Renn (11-03-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 02:50 PM
vtgt
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

This is morphing into a different thread.

where are the “deals” at?
The following 4 users liked this post by vtgt:
Adams (05-18-2020), greggcoff (05-17-2020), TerrestrialFlyte (05-21-2020), TheTorch (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 07:22 PM
L8 APXR
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Kineticdg
Wow, prices are really holding up! I got my nicely optioned (Bose/S-PASM/Nav/memory/Sharkwerks X-pipe/spacers) 34k miles, pristine condition, 2009 C2S Manual on Feb 29th for $48k, thought that by now that would be looking like less of a fantastic buy. I didn't care if prices dropped (wasn't really looking for a deal, just a great car), but I doubt I could do better even today.
I remember you looking for a .2 MT 997. You got a fantastic deal. You can sleep well as I don't think there will be too many others at this price point - even with Covid impact.
Doug H (05-17-2020)

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)