Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2020, 09:25 AM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 905 Likes on 532 Posts

Originally Posted by Traumasurgeon
I come from other cars and this would be my first porsche. I was under the impression that these cars were very reliable, and 83k would be a baby in my book. Am I wrong?
Yes, a manual turbo with the Mexger engine would be way more solid than any NA 997 or 991 over the long term. I would still get the thing looked at very carefully by someone that knows turbos and what updated need to be done to the Mezger turbo engines (pinning and etc.).
Old 02-23-2020, 11:42 AM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 593 Posts

I come from other cars and this would be my first porsche. I was under the impression that these cars were very reliable, and 83k would be a baby in my book. Am I wrong?
Sorry if my comment sounded in any way snarky. Doug's comments about the Metzger engine being more durable are true. But it still doesn't mean all the running gear isn't being worn including the turbos, engine mounts, suspension parts, clutch and transmission, etc. 83k miles on a Prius is different than a turbocharged high-performance German car.

I look at it this way: Assuming a 4 year ownership with 3k miles a year of driving, if I go to sell it with 95k miles it's going to sell real cheap...and be super difficult to find a buyer. If something goes wrong because it has higher miles, I can easily lose the inititial purchase savings I received, and I won't get ANY of it back. It will still be a 95k mile car.

I don't have time to grab comps,but here's a 18k mile 2008 Turbo cab for $87k. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...CALERTSEMLSRCH It's WAAAAAAY less likely to have as many failures. Say what you want about them "needing to be driven" Miles are miles. $26k more expensive now, but in four years getting out of a 30k mile car will be easy. Super easy.

If you look at Fidelity extended warranties prices, they go way up past 80k. Way up. And there's a reason. Failures.

Two different buyers. One says "I want a turbo and my budget is $61K" Then that's that. The other buyer says "I can afford to invest in a lower mile car, knowing I get most of that money back later, it will be easier to get out of, and more peace of mind" Everybody has different resources. I have a very hectic life, and car problems can be very distracting. And expensive. I try to buy perfect to keep the bullsh*t down.

There's always the middle option. Good luck on your search. Patience is a virtue. Get something that makes your heart sing.

One more thing: That 83k car has a lot of interior scratches show's a lack of care by the person that owned it. The driver's door interior pictures and the center console buttons on the dash. Be careful. ..If they cared so little about cosmetics that may possibly mean the same for maintenance.

EDIT: I get obsessed looking at stuff. Here's a 39k mile car for $68k and the owner sounds like he's a real Porsche dude He's done some REAL cool things.to it https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing He states: "Mechanical: The coolant lines were pinned by the last owner. I have maintenance records in a spiral binder, and have done recent oil changes myself. I upgraded the factory assisted clutch hydraulics to the EVOMS GT2 slave kit. The clutch was replaced by a dealer at 35k miles."

Now that's a car and an owner that understands Porsche

Last edited by Upscale Audio; 02-23-2020 at 12:19 PM.
Old 02-23-2020, 02:49 PM
Traumasurgeon
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not snarky at all, and I appreciate your input. I am ok with spending more, as needed, to find a car that I won't have to worry about. I don't want to have to deal with headaches/frustrations. What you say is logical. Looking closely at the pictures on the car I posted, I see what you are saying with the interior, etc.. Likely signs of an owner who did not care for the vehicle. I would rather spend my time enjoying rather than repairing.

That second car you posted looks nice, but I believe it was sold. Still on the hunt!

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio
Sorry if my comment sounded in any way snarky. Doug's comments about the Metzger engine being more durable are true. But it still doesn't mean all the running gear isn't being worn including the turbos, engine mounts, suspension parts, clutch and transmission, etc. 83k miles on a Prius is different than a turbocharged high-performance German car.

I look at it this way: Assuming a 4 year ownership with 3k miles a year of driving, if I go to sell it with 95k miles it's going to sell real cheap...and be super difficult to find a buyer. If something goes wrong because it has higher miles, I can easily lose the inititial purchase savings I received, and I won't get ANY of it back. It will still be a 95k mile car.

I don't have time to grab comps,but here's a 18k mile 2008 Turbo cab for $87k. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...CALERTSEMLSRCH It's WAAAAAAY less likely to have as many failures. Say what you want about them "needing to be driven" Miles are miles. $26k more expensive now, but in four years getting out of a 30k mile car will be easy. Super easy.

If you look at Fidelity extended warranties prices, they go way up past 80k. Way up. And there's a reason. Failures.

Two different buyers. One says "I want a turbo and my budget is $61K" Then that's that. The other buyer says "I can afford to invest in a lower mile car, knowing I get most of that money back later, it will be easier to get out of, and more peace of mind" Everybody has different resources. I have a very hectic life, and car problems can be very distracting. And expensive. I try to buy perfect to keep the bullsh*t down.

There's always the middle option. Good luck on your search. Patience is a virtue. Get something that makes your heart sing.

One more thing: That 83k car has a lot of interior scratches show's a lack of care by the person that owned it. The driver's door interior pictures and the center console buttons on the dash. Be careful. ..If they cared so little about cosmetics that may possibly mean the same for maintenance.

EDIT: I get obsessed looking at stuff. Here's a 39k mile car for $68k and the owner sounds like he's a real Porsche dude He's done some REAL cool things.to it https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ckType=listing He states: "Mechanical: The coolant lines were pinned by the last owner. I have maintenance records in a spiral binder, and have done recent oil changes myself. I upgraded the factory assisted clutch hydraulics to the EVOMS GT2 slave kit. The clutch was replaced by a dealer at 35k miles."

Now that's a car and an owner that understands Porsche
Old 02-23-2020, 03:16 PM
Upscale Audio
Rennlist Member

Received 1,092 Likes on 593 Posts

Not snarky at all, and I appreciate your input. I am ok with spending more, as needed, to find a car that I won't have to worry about. I don't want to have to deal with headaches/frustrations. What you say is logical. Looking closely at the pictures on the car I posted, I see what you are saying with the interior, etc.. Likely signs of an owner who did not care for the vehicle. I would rather spend my time enjoying rather than repairing.

That second car you posted looks nice, but I believe it was sold. Still on the hunt!
I assume you want a manual coupe based on what I see you bring up. There's one on the PCA website in Speed Yellow which is loudly fun. https://www.pca.org/classified-ad/334421

There's a lot of cabs out there. I suggest joining PCA and checking their website, and put a wanted ad up there and here. Also ISEECARS.com has an app and includes listings not on Autotrader. Porsche USA pre-owned goes all the way back forever. I found my last car, a 2012 GTS, here on this thread and it was advertised on Craigslist which I never would have checked. And bringatrailer.com which is great because of feedback of members.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:50 AM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Anyone want to guess what's wrong with this car? 2007 TT w/ 49k miles for $42k.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1093/overview/
Old 02-24-2020, 10:53 AM
Carrera991
Racer

Received 151 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by jkoravos
Anyone want to guess what's wrong with this car? 2007 TT w/ 49k miles for $42k.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/d...1093/overview/

I'm guessing Nigerian prince.
The following 2 users liked this post by Carrera991:
jkoravos (02-24-2020), ThomasCarreraGTS (02-24-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 11:27 AM
jkoravos
Pro

Received 126 Likes on 99 Posts

Originally Posted by davidtsedaka
I'm guessing Nigerian prince.
My first guess, as well.
Old 02-24-2020, 12:03 PM
Kineticdg
Racer

Received 228 Likes on 103 Posts

This is a pretty amazing car- especially at this price. It can be a manual or a PDK, depending on when you look at it:
Porsche 911 Carrera
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...080835749.html

If you're going to do an internet scam, you should at least use photos from one car! I flagged him, but the ad is still up.
Old 02-24-2020, 02:10 PM
loungin
Pro

Received 70 Likes on 53 Posts

Porsche intended the Carrera to be a daily driver. BMWs can go 300k+ miles. No reason why the 997 can’t. Keeping running costs low is why the GT4 club sport has the engine from the 997.2.

Decade old cars will need some work regardless of mileage. Rubber hoses and gaskets and plastic tanks deteriorate and cars that aren’t driven are prone to varnishing and dried out seals. Do you really trust original plastic/rubber parts in 4 years when a 2009 is 15-16 years old?

Not all mileage is equal. Lots of 2 mile runs to C&C or idling to keep the battery charged is not the same as taking cross country road trips.

Cars are depreciating assets. Just find a nice one that is nicely taken care of and don’t pay too much for it if you care about costs, or better yet don’t get a Porsche.
Old 02-24-2020, 03:53 PM
LISsailor
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 87 Posts

Updated the price on my car: $65,900.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1182531
Old 02-24-2020, 04:49 PM
L8 APXR
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

I think you are in the ballpark with your pricing.

I have given up on trying to find a decent C2S MT in my price range (50's). Seems like the market has really jumped on MT cars with mileage below 50K ( coupes that are not black). $60's is the new norm....

Time for me to try out PDK!

Old 02-24-2020, 04:55 PM
LISsailor
Rennlist Member

Received 194 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by RobbieVan

I have given up on trying to find a decent C2S MT in my price range (50's). Seems like the market has really jumped on MT cars with mileage below 50K ( coupes that are not black). $60's is the new norm....

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2020, 05:16 PM
jazz11man1
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Kineticdg
This is a pretty amazing car- especially at this price. It can be a manual or a PDK, depending on when you look at it:
Porsche 911 Carrera
https://losangeles.craigslist.org/ws...080835749.html

If you're going to do an internet scam, you should at least use photos from one car! I flagged him, but the ad is still up.
The ad has been removed, but I've seen several advertising an excellent-condition, low-mileage 997 or 991 for $34k in several markets. Strangely, one of the subject lines was something along the lines of "Beautiful 911 Shift ****". I flagged them.
Old 02-24-2020, 05:22 PM
ThomasCarreraGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 276 Likes on 160 Posts

I looked for a pristine 2011 GTS for 2 years, before finally finding a perfect 8,800 mile CPO example at a Porsche dealer out of state. I am a manual trans diehard, but this car checked every single box, except it was PDK. I bought it, and now, almost 3 years later, I really appreciate what PDK does, how much faster it is, and how vastly superior it is on track. I very recently bought another pristine Porsche, with a stick, and frankly I now prefer PDK. I would have never imagined this, but Porsche knows what they are doing. There is a reason dual clutch automated manuals are the present and future. The only place where I find a true manual to be more fun is on leisurely country road drives. It is nice to row the gears and wring each gear out. But that is it. Give it a try - it probably won't appeal to you right away. It took me 2 years to finally stop lusting for a manual and realize that PDK is in fact better. I would not go back, even if my same car comes to market with an old fashioned stick. I understand the "save the manuals" crowd - I was one of them for my entire life, but unless you live with PDK for a while, you simply don't know what you don't know!

The following 5 users liked this post by ThomasCarreraGTS:
Doug H (02-24-2020), L8 APXR (02-24-2020), Perdido (02-24-2020), prost893 (02-25-2020), WGJP 993 (03-02-2020)
Old 02-24-2020, 05:36 PM
CAA
Burning Brakes

Received 73 Likes on 59 Posts

What’s wrong with black??? : )

Quick Reply: 997s deals around the interwebz (no affiliation)