Making a Durametric Coding options Manual

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 06:27 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Bruce In Philly
Matt,

I am looking for the live values buckets that accurately denote real time water and oil temps..... I found the bucket for water and oil that appears on the dash.... but those appear to be a "smoothed" values.

Are you aware of any source for this information? Regardless it would be a good add to your sheet. I can provide you some information about the buckets in my 2009 C2s.... some of the live buckets that appear to be temps return garbage characters ...... I would have to dig in my files for it but I am pretty sure I still have it somewhere.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Buckets????
Old 08-10-2017, 10:01 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 1,562 Likes on 940 Posts

Originally Posted by floatingkiwi
Buckets????
Sorry, that is an old programmer's term for variables that collect values.

In Live Values, there is a list of items Durametric presents, some with very similar names such as ".... temperature" . When I pulled their live values, some returned garbage such as random characters when it should have been numeric values.

I can't remember now, but there were about five or six values that appeared to be water temperature.... I didn;t test them all but stopped when I found one that gave me good values (the one I used was called "Engine Temp". The values I pulled were apparently the one displayed on our dash but that is a "smoothed" number that virtually will never change once hot.

Someone here purchased some OBD II reader that tracked actual temps that would rise and fall with load.... I have not found that variable.

Anywhooo...... The live value items denoted in Durametric are not all what they first appear to be and should be cataloged with a better description.

See here for some graphs I made with live values...

https://rennlist.com/forums/997-foru...tric-data.html

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-11-2017, 03:16 PM
TheBruce
Three Wheelin'

Received 465 Likes on 166 Posts

Does anybody know the software engineering requirements behind tools like Durametric, or iCarSoft? I would love to understand the specifics. Durametric is the default market leader but it looks like they checked out and aren't investing in the product. Only windows, no mobile app...what year is it?

Crowdsource efforts like this make me naively question how much work would it be to expand this project, fork one of the many open source ODBII software scanners on Github and combine with any generic bluetooth dongle...?

Building a slick mobile app that does some cool live graphing is straightforward. What I don't have any clue on is how much real engineering hours goes into customizing and ODB scanner for each car model. By real, I don't mean marketing bull**** written for people who don't know anything about software development :-)

Curious.
Old 08-11-2017, 06:02 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TheBruce
Does anybody know the software engineering requirements behind tools like Durametric, or iCarSoft? I would love to understand the specifics. Durametric is the default market leader but it looks like they checked out and aren't investing in the product. Only windows, no mobile app...what year is it?

Crowdsource efforts like this make me naively question how much work would it be to expand this project, fork one of the many open source ODBII software scanners on Github and combine with any generic bluetooth dongle...?

Building a slick mobile app that does some cool live graphing is straightforward. What I don't have any clue on is how much real engineering hours goes into customizing and ODB scanner for each car model. By real, I don't mean marketing bull**** written for people who don't know anything about software development :-)

Curious.
All I can say is the Durametric software is really complex in the number of items it reads and interacts with. The car itself appears to me to have many sub-modules and each is a system in of itself such as Engine, Dash, Comfort, Security.... etc etc.

The biggest challenge any programmer would have is sniffing the CAN bus via the OBD2 port and then back engineering all of the crazy data that appears. Further, you would then need to figure out how to change the values in the system for what they call "coding" so there is a write aspect as well as read. I am an old IT guy and this freaks me out.... not just hacking the interface, but figuring out what all the data means.... you would really have to understand auto control systems beyond the hacking aspect.

On top of this, there is variance by model within year, and then by year. Yikes!

As I understand Durametric's intent, is that the software is meant to be an alternative to the very expensive Porsche system for independent mechanics and shops..... the enthusiast market is just add on.

Good luck if you want to tackle this!

Peace
Bruce in Philly
The following users liked this post:
Darkboyz68 (04-01-2022)
Old 08-12-2017, 05:49 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

I just wish they would explain what all the different items do though, they must know surely. I never even got a reply after twice contacting them to see if they would contribute to this attempt at a coding manual
Old 08-12-2017, 10:25 AM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I just wish they would explain what all the different items do though, they must know surely. I never even got a reply after twice contacting them to see if they would contribute to this attempt at a coding manual
Who did you contact? I believe the guys that actually wrote the software are from South Africa.... maybe you should contact the actual developers..

Try here: http://www.hex.co.za/

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-13-2017, 05:17 AM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

I contacted the guys at durametric. Well, tried to....
Old 08-23-2017, 07:41 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

OK, I got an answer back from the coders, but hasn't helped a hell of a lot. Some minor changes on the site. (see first post for link)
Old 08-29-2017, 10:15 AM
JohnL34
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry for the novice question tat follows. I just purchased the durametric for my 2012 997.2s (crono, manual). I'm trying to set up the comfort windows but do not see all of the options listed in the spreadsheet imbedded in this thread. I followed the connection procedures and connected without a hitch (car not started). What am i doing wrong? I have the enthusiast cable using version 6 of the software. Thanks!
Old 08-29-2017, 11:10 AM
platinum997
Rennlist Member

Received 266 Likes on 133 Posts

I have a 2011 .2 and the below worked for me on the comfort windows.

Alarm / Coding / Comfort Radio Remote / <Active>

Alarm / Coding / Comfort Function Window / <Active>

Left Door / Coding / Comfort Closing / <Off>

Left Door / Coding / Comfort Opening / <Off>

Right Door / Coding / Comfort Closing / <Off>

Right Door / Coding / Comfort Opening / <Off>
Old 08-29-2017, 12:30 PM
JohnL34
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like the enthusiast version does not have the coding feature. Called Durametric and they just told me that even the professional version does not allow a change to the comfort settings. interesting part is i called them prior to purchase and was told the enthusiast version would work for what i wanted to accomplish. why would they limited this feature only to the professional model???
Old 08-29-2017, 01:55 PM
Bruce In Philly
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JohnL34
looks like the enthusiast version does not have the coding feature. Called Durametric and they just told me that even the professional version does not allow a change to the comfort settings. interesting part is i called them prior to purchase and was told the enthusiast version would work for what i wanted to accomplish. why would they limited this feature only to the professional model???
I have the Po version for my 2009, 997.2 and I have successfully coded the comfort windows.... I hold my unlock button on my key and the windows drop.... nice for hot summer days.

Durametric support is a little weak..... the USA guys are not the folks who coded the software, for that I believe they are HEX from South Africa. The USA guys are distributors.

Don;t feel to bad that you purchased the wrong version... you saved some good money. Coding options with the 997.2 are very limited... for example I can not code auto door locks.... shocking as this is a typical safety feature, not a luxury one. You can code them if you have Sport Chrono, but then you can do this from the PCM menues anyway. Other reasons for coding may be for track guys turning off TPMS, or changing the spoiler and others like this. Blinking side markers and others are already standard 997.2 configurations.

I tried turning off seat chime but then I had an airbag light stay on much longer at start up and that scared me so I set it back.

Don't sweat this too much. As a DIY'er, I am very happy with the Durametric tool for its reading of deep codes and an OK explanation of what they mean.... reading live values to help diagnose problems (pretty sophisticated) and resetting my service light.... all of which are capabilities of the enthusiast version.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Old 08-29-2017, 07:14 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JohnL34
Yes you need the Pro model - why? Money I guess.
Old 08-29-2017, 07:15 PM
floatingkiwi
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by platinum997

This can change depending on model and year. I've coded 2 x 2005 cars that require different settings to do the same thing!! One C2s and 1 C4S.
Old 08-29-2017, 08:38 PM
myw
Nordschleife Master

Received 577 Likes on 345 Posts

has anyone been able to get the comfort windows to work on a 997.2 cab? i am helping my buddy with his '09 997.2 c4s cab but surprisingly the windows can come down when unlocked but wont go up when locked - i used these exact settings and have seen the same settings work on various 997.2s (non-cab)

Originally Posted by platinum997

yes the 997.1 and 997.2 varies on this - but its a very minor difference. i believe its been documented in this thread.

This can change depending on model and year. I've coded 2 x 2005 cars that require different settings to do the same thing!! One C2s and 1 C4S.

Quick Reply: Making a Durametric Coding options Manual