Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ranking of "necessary" 997.1 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:21 AM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

[QUOTE=Philster;12555329]I'm not changing my orange side markers almost out of spite now.

Thus making your car, "unique". COOL

Old 09-01-2015, 11:51 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,154 Likes on 3,923 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Hardly necessary. The most basic 997 car was born to be driven hard from day 1...and will take a flogging and happily ask for more. You must be a BMW guy to think these are must haves for NA car
If the most basic 997 is so good right out of the box, how come all of yours are GT3 variants? Some of the mods mentioned here are to try and introduce some of that GT3 sweetness into the non-GT3 versions.

I'm pretty sure I'm not a BMW guys since I'm on a Porsche forum, don't have any BMWs, and have 4 Porsches.
Old 09-01-2015, 12:34 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnutintib
Hardly necessary. The most basic 997 car was born to be driven hard from day 1...and will take a flogging and happily ask for more. You must be a BMW guy to think these are must haves for NA car.

The ONLY must-have performance mod/option for a 997 to drive like a real Porsche sports car is Sport Chrono (or after market ECU tune facsimile) on a 997.2 PDK car. That is besides the point on this thread though as OP is referring to a .1 car.
Respectfully disagree.

Although yes, my family consists of dyed-in-the wool BMW fanatics (thanks, Dad).

My car has PSS10s and an FSI 3.8, and I still found the car to be a *little* soft and slow. Until I did the PSE hack, I thought the car was too quiet. Straight pipes were fun, but tiresome (I'm getting old - my youthful exuberance in the past dictated an open downpipe was "fine" if you turn the music up). I have a GT3 throttle body and a 997.2 airbox waiting to go on the car, but I need an IPD competition plenum. I'm also assembling parts to make my own custom exhaust.

Sport Chrono is a waste of money. Why do I need a stopwatch or a sport button in a sports car? On a PDK, as you pointed out, however, it is a different story.

My car was a base C2, so I think it needs more aggressive brake pads. I'm saving for a Brembo 380mm six-piston front brake kit, but I'll get to those after I buy a set of 18x9/18x11 OZ Alleggeritas and BS RE71R "Hoosierstones" for the track/autocross. I also need more adjustability in the suspension, so I'll need GT3 control arms and adjustable links as well.

I'm being paranoid about my shift linkage, too. I've read too many horror stories about shift cables breaking in traffic, and I absolutely hate the shift feel of the car. Almost ruins the whole driving experience. My '92 Talon TSI AWD has better shift feel (ball bearing linkages and metal bushings). So I suppose I'll need Numeric shift cables and maybe the Numeric shifter.

The only cosmetic mods I plan on doing are a Getty ducktail and maybe a GT3 front bumper and Sport Classic rear bumper.

Now repeat after me:

This is my daily driver ... This is my daily driver ... This is my daily driver ...
Old 09-01-2015, 01:24 PM
DC911S
Drifting

Received 202 Likes on 133 Posts

Mine is not a DD. I live and work in the city so it's the subway to work. The 911 is a weekend fun toy so upping its tune level is ok for me. But the mods I've done would be fine for DD. I'll not lower it though as DC roads would be hard on it that way and getting into my condo garage is already tricky and I have to angle it in.
Old 09-01-2015, 02:34 PM
bml376
Instructor

In my opinion, there is no right or wrong list of mods; necessary or unnecessary mods. Its YOUR car, do what you like and what makes you happy. Everyone will have different opinions and routes for altering the car as it came from the factory to suite a particular use case for the car. For me personally, my 997.2 is mainly a track car. So I could care less about the color of my side markers/turn indicators or how loud the exhaust is (PSE I find it just fine and too loud for my neighborhood!). Instead, I chose to make mods to increase the safety (seats, harness and cage), control (suspension, track wheels and tires) and reliability (factory 3rd radiator kit (on a 6 MT car)). Yes, none of these are "sexy" mods, but I felt they were needed to fit my use case for the car. For someone very new to driving a car like the 997 on track, the car as it is is more than enough for me to handle and quite capable on track. I'd much rather take the money saved on additional mods and use it towards track days, track insurance and maintenance. I've never driven a PDK, but sport mode on a 6MT does make a difference in throttle response, or it might just be in my head but I find it to be a bit more than the stopwatch. With that said, I do find it odd to have a "sport" mode in a sports car.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:47 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

I lied, mine is a sort-of daily driver. I'll take her out as long as it's dry, and there's no snow on the ground in the winter. I usually put 10,000-12,000 miles a year on my car.

I have a not-very-good-as-a-tow-vehicle tow vehicle to use when there's 6' of snow outside and I have a 4 hour commute home.

That snow pile was about three feet tall, too. Gotta love free street parking.
Old 09-01-2015, 04:42 PM
PPadilha07997
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ranking of "necessary" 997.1 upgrades

I'm 34 and still love the look of my 997c2. I wouldnt change a thing. I like that it doesn't look modern, to me it would make look like I'm trying to hard to make it something it's not. All these guys out there with these awful cheap looking upgrades is a huge turn off to what was already a beautiful looking car. Sorry, just my thoughts.
Old 09-01-2015, 05:28 PM
kisik
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 35 Posts

Best "upgrade" is to hire a coach/Driving Instructor to teach you how to extract everything from a stock car. She is better then most of us by far. Start with a driver and safety, then whatever touches the ground: right alignment and better tires.

-------------------------
05' C2S
Old 09-02-2015, 05:45 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree the car is phenomenal off the lot. Mine is a 997.2 C2 with sport seats (very nice), 19 inch Lobsters, Chrono (6-speed manual so less useful), Bose and PSE. My list of mods in order of importance:

(1) lowering springs and spacers - transforms the look of the car - cannot take my eyes off her now. Hard to over state the visual impact this mod has - I would forgo all other mods for this one if I had to
(2) Shark Werks bi-pass. When paired with PSE ...Transforms the sound of the car - cannot satisfy my urge to run through the gears
(3) steering wheel upgrade (mine is cheesy thin rim)
(4) short shift kit (why are the throws so long?)
(5) semi solid motor mounts
(6) clear side markers
(7) aluminum pedals

(1), (2) and (6) are done. Rest to come. It will then be perfect.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:48 PM
Lahainabry
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carmichael
No performance mods?

Intake/Exhaust/Headers/Tune

Wheels/Tires/Shocks/Dampers and Lowering Springs or Coilovers

Always must-haves on a normally aspirated car.
I like your thinking.
Old 09-02-2015, 11:04 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 61 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by Comanche_699
I have a bunch of mods on my C2S

The TPC DSC feels like a must.
Fister sport mufflers also a must.
Spacers, subtle but really look nice.

Numeric ssk is nice but not a must.
Headers, xpipe, highflow cats make the car loud and manly sounding, but not MUST haves.

GT3 throttle body, IPD plenum & CA intake, nice to have, not "need to have"

Tune, I would say is great. I love mine (protomotive) but kind of needs the exhaust and intake are musts to get value out of the tune.

Michelin Pilot Super Sports are a real treat. I wouldn't say they're a must, but definitely worth trying if you haven't.

Nice tips look great but are not a must. I love the AWE black chrome ones, but have NHP chrome ones on mine. Look the same but not as easy to keep clean as black ones.

I also have sway bars front and rear (eibach) and Bilstein B16's (pasm flavor) coilovers - awesome but also not "must haves"

I agree about the re-wrapped fatter steering wheel, would love one for my car, but not a strictly "must"'have item.

Also, big musts depend on the user. I think track time, track days, and more DE is always a must. The more time you spend learning to drive better the more you realize your car is already built with plenty of stuff to keep you smiling for many years to come, and you will learn what "sport" mods really are important to you.

- dan
Now this is a GD (necessary or not) upgrade list!!!

I've been fortunate to witness the Old Gray Frog turn into a beast with which to contend, and all that I can say is, nice work Dan!!!

When we were out playing with Bobby's 7RS and while I was leading, I could hear the Frog snorting and slobbering and man, when you had to breakaway and head east on Sir Francis Drake, I slowly moved the pack north so I could listen to you ring it out...just gorgeous...

P.S. Note whose 911 the huddle occurred around...not the RS!
Attached Images  

Last edited by david; 09-02-2015 at 11:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-03-2015, 12:07 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,148 Likes on 729 Posts

Originally Posted by david
Now this is a GD (necessary or not) upgrade list!!!

I've been fortunate to witness the Old Gray Frog turn into a beast with which to contend, and all that I can say is, nice work Dan!!!

When we were out playing with Bobby's 7RS and while I was leading, I could hear the Frog snorting and slobbering and man, when you had to breakaway and head east on Sir Francis Drake, I slowly moved the pack north so I could listen to you ring it out...just gorgeous...

P.S. Note whose 911 the huddle occurred around...not the RS!
True ... this! I set up as sweeper for that first leg and was conversing through the window with a salesman as we left the dealer lot that morning. Dan pulled down the frontage road at the last second and snuck into the middle of the group unseen by me. We got to the coast and started opening up. I couldn't see Dan several cars ahead, but I turned to Pam and told her Dan was with us. And for David, Bobby's 7GT3RS was between him and Dan! And that exhaust is just a part of the mod list ... Dan's car makes the argument that mods are good!
Old 09-03-2015, 02:01 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Carmichael
Respectfully disagree.

Although yes, my family consists of dyed-in-the wool BMW fanatics (thanks, Dad).

My car has PSS10s and an FSI 3.8, and I still found the car to be a *little* soft and slow. Until I did the PSE hack, I thought the car was too quiet. Straight pipes were fun, but tiresome (I'm getting old - my youthful exuberance in the past dictated an open downpipe was "fine" if you turn the music up). I have a GT3 throttle body and a 997.2 airbox waiting to go on the car, but I need an IPD competition plenum. I'm also assembling parts to make my own custom exhaust.

Sport Chrono is a waste of money. Why do I need a stopwatch or a sport button in a sports car? On a PDK, as you pointed out, however, it is a different story.

My car was a base C2, so I think it needs more aggressive brake pads. I'm saving for a Brembo 380mm six-piston front brake kit, but I'll get to those after I buy a set of 18x9/18x11 OZ Alleggeritas and BS RE71R "Hoosierstones" for the track/autocross. I also need more adjustability in the suspension, so I'll need GT3 control arms and adjustable links as well.

I'm being paranoid about my shift linkage, too. I've read too many horror stories about shift cables breaking in traffic, and I absolutely hate the shift feel of the car. Almost ruins the whole driving experience. My '92 Talon TSI AWD has better shift feel (ball bearing linkages and metal bushings). So I suppose I'll need Numeric shift cables and maybe the Numeric shifter.

The only cosmetic mods I plan on doing are a Getty ducktail and maybe a GT3 front bumper and Sport Classic rear bumper.

Now repeat after me:

This is my daily driver ... This is my daily driver ... This is my daily driver ...
I am responding to the OP at face value - title of thread is NECESSARY mods pertaining to a 997.1 C4S. Thus my response.

You are citing a litany performance mods... all of which are legit in terms of making any sporty car sportier. But in the case of the OP's query pertaining to at 7.1 C4S -- NONE of these are necessary IMHO. Also I am not sure I follow your logic of why suspension mods are particularly necessary on a naturally aspirated car...??

My sidebar comment on the Sport Chrono option refers to 997.2 PDK cars only as being NECESSARY... without it the car's powertrain's responsiveness is totally emasculated by the super low rpm programmed shift points... thus I feel it would be NECESSARY. Has nothing to do with the lap timer wart. This of course does not pertain to OP's 7.1 C4S.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:29 PM
Psymon
Racer

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I have done all 4 items on your list, for my 2006 C2S.

You mentioned "to make the car more modern" and I assume you are referring to the look of the car. So I agree that these are "nessesary" mods.

1) Dension 500S BT - forget about the super outdated and expensive (to even update the maps) PCM2. Install the Dension and just plug in / pair it with a tablet / smartphone for Music, hands free phone calls, WAZE / Google maps... etc

2&3) LED lights will immoderately make the car look more modern. Should also include the side markers as suggested by others)

4) 991 style headlights - They are available in silver or black housing, and show very different result. IMO the LED color matching to the OEM HID is an non-issue when see it in person. But I think these lights are more suitable for cars with a more agreesisve look bodykit.

Originally Posted by nikandriko
I have a 2006 C4S and I've been thinking about upgrades to make the car more modern but at the same time I don't want it to totally lose its character.

From my readings so far, the following upgrades have made it to my bucket list:
I would love to hear any suggestions/trends that you've seen other 997.1 owners doing.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:12 PM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
If the most basic 997 is so good right out of the box, how come all of yours are GT3 variants? Some of the mods mentioned here are to try and introduce some of that GT3 sweetness into the non-GT3 versions.

I'm pretty sure I'm not a BMW guys since I'm on a Porsche forum, don't have any BMWs, and have 4 Porsches.
Seriously?? What my cars are have absolutely nothing to do with the OP's query. Leaving this aside, not all of my P-cars are GT3 variants - there would lot less confusion and derision here if people would just read more carefully.

Also, do you understand the meanings of the words NECESSARY vs. DESIRABLE?

OP asked what was NECESSARY and relating specifically to a 7.1 C4S (hardly a 'most basic' 911). Have you driven a 7.1 C4S? I have. If he asked what were necessary mods to a 1992 964 my answer would be very different.

Furthermore, there is nothing wrong with being a BMW guy... that was a JOKE... but Bimmers do need more NECESSARY mods to meet their performance image and mission that a 997 C4S... that was my point.

Quick Reply: Ranking of "necessary" 997.1 upgrades