Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ranking of "necessary" 997.1 upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2016, 12:12 AM
SAN997
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Here is my list of mods, slanted toward practical performance benefit and more aggressive looks:
  • $22 iSimple FM modulator from Amazon (bluetooth model available as well). Sounds great.
  • EarthX ETX48E 7.5lb lithium ion battery (saves almost 40 pounds over stock)
  • GT3 style rear wing (adds down force and looks great). A fiberglass one will save maybe 25 pounds over stock.
  • Aerokit GT3 style front bumper (plus Rennline GT3 upper grill kit). Adds downforce, looks great.
  • OZ Leggera HLT 19" wheels (big aesthetic improvement over Lobster Claws and some of the lightest wheels for the money)
  • Titanium exhaust from Agency Power / Alibaba (saves 45 pounds)
  • Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires (these seem to be the best on the market right now)

If you are daring, you might consider installing fiberglass bucket seats, which saves 60 pounds over the power seats. However, you will lose your seat airbags. So if you carpool the neighbors kids or drive around friends or clients, you might want to reconsider. The only other option are GT3 RS or GT2 seats that cost several arms and legs.

Also, there are some free things you can do:
  • Remove terrible sounding Bose subwoofer (improves sound and saves 20 pounds)
  • Remove useless trunk CD changer (saves 7 pounds)
  • Remove rear seats (I think this saves around 25-30 pounds, but not sure)
  • Remove factory slime and air compressor. Replace with Fix-a-Flat. Saves maybe 7 pounds. Obviously put this back in the car if you are going on a road trip.
I figure if I get a flat, I'm just calling roadside assistance anyway.

Adding it all up, I figure you can take about 250 pounds out of the car without major sacrifices. 130 pounds is possible without major expense, and up to 200 pounds if you also do the titanium exhaust and wheels, but not the seats.

Last edited by SAN997; 05-11-2016 at 02:08 AM.
The following users liked this post:
MrTickles (04-06-2020)
Old 05-10-2016, 11:02 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

in no particular order:

+1 mObridge
lowering springs
OEM wheel choice
Clear Bra the front bumper, hood, mirrors

Old 05-10-2016, 11:07 PM
fbfisher
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Ynot, your car looks great!
Old 05-13-2016, 04:06 PM
Ynot
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by fbfisher
Ynot, your car looks great!
I like it Thanks!
Old 11-24-2016, 03:12 AM
ALEV8
Three Wheelin'

Received 71 Likes on 49 Posts

Lowering mine plus all new suspension and an AVIC unit for CarPlay all about to go in.
Old 11-24-2016, 12:49 PM
secondshot
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

In order:

1) FVD
A) FVD Street Sport Exhaust for PDK - Advertised to be specifically designed for the PDK and when it arrived, it was a work of art. Price is way down from what i paid-and difference almost pays for the ECU component below. See here: http://www.fvd.de/us/en/Porsche-0/-/...-Englisch.html
B) BMC Airfilters

I installed all of these myself. I have never worked on a car let alone a prized Pcar before. I used the DIYs and all worked great.

2) SmartTOP- This is a must do for a Cab. You can raise and lower the top with the Keyfob...among other things. It is a great!! update. Car should have come this way. Also installed this myself. Great directions...

3) Paddle Shift Steering Wheel: Love this update too. I installed this myself. Suncoast has a deal right now for a alcantara wheel significantly discounted if the color matches you may like this. I will say this, after using the paddle shifters for a year, i know exactly what the Pcar engineers were thinking with the button style OEM wheel. It isn't a bad design once you get used to it...you will have to decide what you like/want.

4) Frunk cover: small mod, adds weight albeit not much which is why it probably didn't come with the car. Completes the finished look of the frunk and protects the hood from package dents.

5) Swapped out my Sport Design wheels, which i thought looked good but were a pain to clean to what i love -- Turbo1 wheels. See my pic to the left.

6) LED License Plate light-self explanatory

7) Rennline front grill covers - these look great and protect the radiators but i had to remove the front bumper to install. I did it myself and i feel it was the trickiest of the mods i have done. I did all three openings but in retrospect i may have been better off leaving the center one open so i woudn't have to remove the bumper sometime in the future to clean anything that gets through the holes in the screen. I figure 5 years before i have to worry about that.

Last edited by secondshot; 12-11-2016 at 11:20 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 01:46 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 276 Posts

A few I've done:

-Tubi Exhaust
-OEM short shifter
-Aftermarket HRE Wheels
-I had full leather but replaced the center console with leather as well since that's not included in full leather

That's it I think!

Tom
Old 11-25-2016, 08:46 AM
07CarreraS
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 64 Posts

1. replaced amber side markers (top photo)
2. replaced worn plastic interior pieces
3. replaced center armrest cover with new Porsche emblem embossed w/stitching
4. tinted windows
5. installed new Pirelli's on all 4 corners (top photo)
6. PSE ordered being installed 11/30
Attached Images   

Quick Reply: Ranking of "necessary" 997.1 upgrades