Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My *new* argument for NOT daily-ing your 911... ;)

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 05:47 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default My *new* argument for NOT daily-ing your 911... ;)

My 911 feel so much more special when I take it out for road trips, back road blasts, track days. I can avoid traffic jams and fully enjoy the experience without worrying about smashing up groceries etc.

The biggest part; going from dailying a diesel automatic passat to blasting around in a 911 makes it feel like a new car every time I step in. I enjoy it that much more.

Doning Nomex suit...
Old 08-22-2015, 05:57 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Entirely agree. I used to drive a Boxster to work but then the weekend drive was nothing special at all.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:16 PM
johnireland
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

That argument is like saying it is best to have sex with an ugly woman with bad breath six days a week so you can have greater enjoyment of sex with a beautifu woman one day a week.l
Old 08-22-2015, 06:17 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by johnireland
That argument is like saying it is best to have sex with an ugly woman with bad breath six days a week so you can have greater enjoyment of sex with a beautifu woman one day a week.l
No no no, sex with an ugly woman in the morning so you last longer with the beautiful woman at night is more analogous.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:49 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
No no no, sex with an ugly woman in the morning so you last longer with the beautiful woman at night is more analogous.
Not at all. It's like saying that you're having sex with an attractive, though somewhat boring woman during the week so that you can afford to treat yourself to the super model on the weekends.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:51 PM
Omnigeek
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by KLS
Not at all. It's like saying that you're having sex with an attractive, though somewhat boring woman during the week so that you can afford to treat yourself to the super model on the weekends.
He said his daily is a Passat. Sorry, the ugly woman analogy is more fitting IMO.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:22 PM
Philster
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Driving to work in any car, Porsche or a mundane car, is not analogous to sex.

A weekend with the Porsche, who was waiting for you all week as you trudged to work in your daily driver, is analogous to sex.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:44 PM
Blu311
Burning Brakes

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
My 911 feel so much more special when I take it out for road trips, back road blasts, track days. I can avoid traffic jams and fully enjoy the experience without worrying about smashing up groceries etc.

The biggest part; going from dailying a diesel automatic passat to blasting around in a 911 makes it feel like a new car every time I step in. I enjoy it that much more.

Doning Nomex suit...
Back to the original topic...

I totally agree. I daily drive a V6 Rav4 Sport, its 269 hp so its not slow but outside the decent hp there isnt really anything sport about it. It DOES make driving the 997 even better.

Similarly, I owned an S2000 and sometimes in the summer I would go weeks without driving my daily (Lexus ES300 at the time) and the if the S2k ever felt less fun to drive, I would drive the lexus for a few days and like magic the S2k felt faster and more maneuverable!
Old 08-23-2015, 12:20 AM
tritonic
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daily for a 90mi round trip is a VW GLI Stage II+. It has Koni Yellows and most of the performance bits available. It's a brilliant car that at 370hp has more that my Porsche and gets almost 30mpg. Not to mention it's been extremely reliable. I drive it and think to myself now this is a performance car......then I drive my Porsche. The 911 makes my VW feel sloppy.

My Porsche would still feel special if I drove it every day. However, it feels really special when I only drive it on the weekends. And the bar is set pretty high.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:05 AM
Para82
Race Car

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

Sorry I prefer to be a winner everyday.
Old 08-23-2015, 11:40 AM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by Para82
Sorry I prefer to be a winner everyday.
This.

But if others want to shackle themselves 5 or 6 days a week, well, it's a free country. If I were that way, I'd be seeking professional help. But that's just me.

The good news is that driven on weekends only is still driven!

I admire Bobby with his GT3RS (see Members, Off Topic) driving around the entire USA. Loud with no sound deadening. And very stiff suspension. He's got an atlas and a rolled up towel stuffed into his seat for back support. And he's been out there going on two weeks averaging 500 miles a day. That's my inspiration!
Old 08-23-2015, 12:26 PM
david
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 64 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Wayne Smith

But if others want to shackle themselves 5 or 6 days a week, well, it's a free country. If I were that way, I'd be seeking professional help. But that's just me.
Just noting the irony that you shack up with that particular pro and must've gotten that help during your pre-Porsche daze.

I kinda like the sex analogy, although driving an econobox equates (for me) to having no sex and then...well, those hips and powering out of each bend in the road, is as good as it gets!
Old 08-23-2015, 01:21 PM
Wayne Smith
Rennlist Member

Received 1,245 Likes on 801 Posts

Originally Posted by david
Just noting the irony that you shack up with that particular pro and must've gotten that help during your pre-Porsche daze.

I kinda like the sex analogy, although driving an econobox equates (for me) to having no sex and then...well, those hips and powering out of each bend in the road, is as good as it gets!
36 years ... I prefer to think that Pam and I are going steady. Shacking up seems like such a commitment!

You nailed it ... the C4S definitely does have me in a daze ... this car is one of the best drugs I've found (maybe THE best). I'll be an addict and drive it every day and whenever I want, thank you. For that ... no professional help required! No intervention please!

Yeah, it is a bit like sex ... never had the patience to wait for the weekends there either!

Again, to avoid offense, that's just me. To each their own.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:59 PM
911searcher
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Drive your Porsche every weekend ?
It loses that special feeling.
Only drive it the last Sunday of the month.
To keep it special.
of course not when raining or snowing or threatening rain.
or overcast.

Spoiler

Old 08-23-2015, 11:30 PM
ElectricChair
Rennlist Member

Received 207 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by johnireland
LOL!

Quick Reply: My *new* argument for NOT daily-ing your 911... ;)