Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My *new* argument for NOT daily-ing your 911... ;)

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015 | 10:41 AM
upier
Racer

Default My *new* argument for NOT daily-ing your 911... ;)

Originally Posted by Little Green
How is this even a choice for you?
You would have to pay me 10K to drive a Prius on a road trip of 14.5 hours.
At least you don't drive like a Prius driver. It would take you closer to 20 hours to do the 942 if you drive like most of them do.
And all of that slow Prius driving would be in the fast lane.
Old 08-26-2015 | 04:49 PM
GingerPowered
Rennlist Member

Don't cast aspersions at my driving habits just for owning a Prius. I drive about 40,000 miles a year; left lane hogs are not limited to hybrid drivers.

Anyone driving less than 10 MPH over the speed limit and not passing traffic should be shot on site and left for the vultures.
Old 08-26-2015 | 05:12 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mpath
You've raised an interesting point; what do your clients think/commented when you drive up in the Porsche? ...

And those of you who regularly drive it to work, what does your peers/colleague/bosses think?
My bosses drive a newer Accord Hybrid, a '15 Lincoln Navigator, a newer Honda Civic, and a newer Buick Lacrosse.

Our paralegals and interns think the bonuses for attorneys here are big. Oh, how wrong they are.

My immediate supervisor knows what car I drive (she's the one with the Accord Hybrid) and she tells me that most young attorneys buy flashy sports cars (she claims to have bought a brand new '93 RX-7 when she got her first legal job) and quickly grow out of them.

She thinks it's just a phase.
Old 08-26-2015 | 05:44 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Originally Posted by Carmichael
My bosses drive a newer Accord Hybrid, a '15 Lincoln Navigator, a newer Honda Civic, and a newer Buick Lacrosse.

Our paralegals and interns think the bonuses for attorneys here are big. Oh, how wrong they are.

My immediate supervisor knows what car I drive (she's the one with the Accord Hybrid) and she tells me that most young attorneys buy flashy sports cars (she claims to have bought a brand new '93 RX-7 when she got her first legal job) and quickly grow out of them.

She thinks it's just a phase.
Yeah, because they are not car people and literally think it's a status symbol. LOL I don't think there exists anything more cliche than people that actually think their car says something positive about them to the public.
Old 08-26-2015 | 07:10 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

I just tell people it's a base model Carrera with nothing special.

Although most laypeople think my car is new. Thank you, PAG for keeping these cars looking the same.
Old 08-26-2015 | 07:26 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

I love my 911 but I am not under any naive beliefs that cars will get me attention. Although, I will admit to people at the track it will!
Old 08-27-2015 | 06:55 PM
upier
Racer

Owning a sports car that you only take to coffee events and the such is like owning a race horse that you only take to the petting zoo. Drive it!

How do you drive a Prius 40k miles without intentionally driving into a tree to make it end?
Old 08-27-2015 | 07:10 PM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

I got a good laugh out of that one " How do you drive a Prius 40k miles without intentionally driving into a tree to make it end?"

Too funny....

I have driven a friend's Prius and clearly no one buys it for its sportiness, great handling, driving characteristics, etc etc It is transportation to and from while being environmentally friendly.... there are a lot of cars similar to a Prius that have that same dull driving experience. I would likely pick the Prius for its fuel savings and being techno advanced but its front wheel drive so that doesnt help. Other cars I have tried, I realize when I get behind the wheel at age 50 now, I want an experience at all times. Something about the car has to impress me enough to want to drive it and I really dont care how expensive. Even when I rent a car, I will spend a lot of time in Nationals Emerald Isle, trying to pick a car I have enjoyed before or pick one I havent driven ever so I can experience something new and check the box.

As much as I used to beat up on American made cars, Chevy, Ford and Chrysler, most recent years are finally starting to produce some decent cars and some pretty impressive all around. Good looking, fun to drive and stepped up interiors. In the past they used to be cars I would never buy because everything about them was so inferior, cheap and no fun at all to drive. Again, caring less about whether the car was an econo box or Premium. Just wanted the US car makers to put some thought and character into them. Finally they realized they were being outpaced by every other car maker and to stay alive, they had to change. Clearly the better the car is that you own, like our 911s, makes you want more of that experience in other cars you drive and if it doesnt exist, then disappointment. Is that a subbliminal message that Porsche has built into our cars?

Originally Posted by upier
Owning a sports car that you only take to coffee events and the such is like owning a race horse that you only take to the petting zoo. Drive it!

How do you drive a Prius 40k miles without intentionally driving into a tree to make it end?
Old 08-28-2015 | 04:06 AM
Para82
Race Car

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
Yeah, because they are not car people and literally think it's a status symbol. LOL I don't think there exists anything more cliche than people that actually think their car says something positive about them to the public.
I purchased my 911 so I could stare at the greatest *** ever made whenever I want. The flat-six and handling is nice too.
Old 08-28-2015 | 11:30 AM
upier
Racer

Originally Posted by Para82
I purchased my 911 so I could stare at the greatest *** ever made whenever I want. The flat-six and handling is nice too.
Reminds me of the first time I saw the back end of a 930. Watching it squat down and dissappear down the road. Pure art!
Old 08-28-2015 | 11:41 AM
Austin997.2
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by GingerPowered
Don't cast aspersions at my driving habits just for owning a Prius. I drive about 40,000 miles a year; left lane hogs are not limited to hybrid drivers.

Anyone driving less than 10 MPH over the speed limit and not passing traffic should be shot on site and left for the vultures.
Left lane hogs are a microcosm of everything wrong with the world.
Old 08-29-2015 | 12:29 AM
GingerPowered
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Austin997.2
Left lane hogs are a microcosm of everything wrong with the world.
This^^^^^^

I ended up driving the Prius and, despite the urge to drive into every other tree (yes, it's a constant struggle), I'm glad I did. On one stretch, I got stuck on about 20 miles of a road widening project, with no passing lanes, and was behind two tankers for most of that. Then another 30 miles or so of resurfacing on I-20.

I would have been cringing the entire time if I'd of been in the 987.
Old 08-29-2015 | 09:00 AM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Originally Posted by upier
Reminds me of the first time I saw the back end of a 930. Watching it squat down and dissappear down the road. Pure art!
I was 16 years old and on a family trip to the UK. We were 2 hours north of London driving on beautiful twisty 2 lane highway behind a 911 and I was staring at its *** for a couple kilometres. There was a break in on-coming traffic and the 911 squatted down, let out a loud bark, and passed the guy in from of him. That scene is etched in my mind 30 years later.

PS: the title of this thread depresses me. Not sure why we need excuses not to drive our 911s... And now all this Prius talk! I only stopped here cause somebody was talking about nice rear ends. Rest of the thread depresses me.

Last edited by jcsomerv; 08-29-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 08-29-2015 | 10:02 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GingerPowered
This post is very timely for me. I have a work/family visit road trip coming up at the end of the week and I've been trying to convince myself to take the 987 CS instead of the Prius. 942 miles and 14.5 hours of road time... Decisions, decisions.
Take the Porsche! It's a great road trip car and gets respectable mileage...T
Old 08-29-2015 | 10:22 AM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

I am fortunate to be chauffeured to work, door-to-door, on most days by my lovely wife. But, on the occasions I have to fend for myself, I find my 911 as much of a joy to drive in traffic as on back roads. If one thing has surprised me in my 18 months of ownership, it is that it is quite comfortable for extended seat time, which I appreciate with a bad back and a few arthritic bits…T

Quick Reply: My *new* argument for NOT daily-ing your 911... ;)