Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My *new* argument for NOT daily-ing your 911... ;)

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 07:54 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

I love guys that don't drive them every day. I think it's great that you guys are unselfishly saving the car for the next owner. Us used car guys REALLY appreciate it. I bought mine 3.5 years ago with 16K miles on it. It was 7 years old. Practically new. Had to replace the tires as they were the originals.
It was great getting practically a new car at not quite half the price. I just rolled 40K and I have just a 9 mile commute every day into Philadelphia which is 25-30 minutes in the morning

Last edited by Little Green; 08-26-2015 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Adding Un
Old 08-25-2015, 11:30 AM
mpath
Racer

Received 128 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by pkancel
We had three cars between my wife and I. I sold one of them because it was the least driven, mostly sat outside getting dirty. I work from home so I am either on a plane or occassionally driving to LA or San Diego for client meetings. Typically I'll drive the 911 unless I have to go from meeting to meeting over a few days, then I rent a car. The only thing I hate about taking the Porsche is driving up to LA and wondering how many rock chips and other crap are beating up my front end, windshield, mirrors, rockers.... but if thats the biggest issue to worry about, life is good....
You've raised an interesting point; what do your clients think/commented when you drive up in the Porsche? I suppose it depends on the business you're in. I wouldn't want my attorney to be driving a piece of junk, but perhaps not in a Bentley either.

And those of you who regularly drive it to work, what does your peers/colleague/bosses think? I drive mine as regularly as possible, 3-4 days during the week, but as "the boss", I'm cognizant of what my staff thinks about that. Also, since it's only been a couple of months that I bought the car, I've yet to drive it to a client meeting or a project site (I own a construction company).
Old 08-25-2015, 12:15 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by mpath
I wouldn't want my attorney to be driving a piece of junk, but perhaps not in a Bentley either.
I would. I'm smart enough to comparison shop legal fees and know where the Bentley-driving attorney's fees fall in the gamut. Whether or not his fees are high, I would logically assume he must be damn good at what he does if he gets enough business to afford a Bentley.
Old 08-25-2015, 12:29 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 254 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
No no no, sex with an ugly woman in the morning so you last longer with the beautiful woman at night is more analogous.
Sex and driving a Porsche is totally different in my book.

I don't dribble when driving either of my Porsches.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:30 PM
KNS
Three Wheelin'

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Little Green
I love guys that don't drive them every day. I think it's great that you guys are selfishly saving the car for the next owner. Us used car guys REALLY appreciate it. I bought mine 3.5 years ago with 16K miles on it. It was 7 years old. Practically new. Had to replace the tires as they were the originals.
It was great getting practically a new car at not quite half the price. I just rolled 40K and I have just a 9 mile commute every day into Philadelphia which is 25-30 minutes in the morning
Hit the nail on the head(I think you meant unselfishly...)

As has been said, no one lies on their death bed, wishing they didn't pile so many miles on their Porsche.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:47 PM
Milehigh981
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Currently drive every day possible as summer tires allow. Haven't driven this one in the winter and I regret it.

Spyder will be driven most of the year, even considering winter tires for days when there is no snow on the ground.

Life is far too short, enjoy your car.
Old 08-25-2015, 01:56 PM
GingerPowered
Rennlist Member

Received 39 Likes on 30 Posts

This post is very timely for me. I have a work/family visit road trip coming up at the end of the week and I've been trying to convince myself to take the 987 CS instead of the Prius. 942 miles and 14.5 hours of road time... Decisions, decisions.
Old 08-25-2015, 02:21 PM
Lugs H
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not driving your car is like not screwing your girlfriend. Your just saving her for the next guy.
Old 08-25-2015, 03:21 PM
jcsomerv
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Default My *new* argument for NOT daily-ing your 911... ;)

Originally Posted by Lugs H
Not driving your car is like not screwing your girlfriend. Your just saving her for the next guy.
LOL. I like this one!
Old 08-25-2015, 04:53 PM
r_32
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I definitely try to drive my 997 as much as I practically can which includes winter, errands, etc. I waited a long time to finally get one of these and I aim to enjoy it!

That said, it isn't all that enjoyable sitting in traffic dancing a clutch the whole time. I don't mind the fact my daily is my r32 because as far as a daily-type car goes, it's pretty fun. But if I am leaving earlier than normal or off the normal rush hour cycle, the Pcar is coming out.

And to the comments earlier about what people think...I don't advertise it but I don't deny what I drive either. I used to keep more hidden, but then I realized if a coworker has a problem with what I drive that is his problem, not mine. Especially since half of them are in SUVs which cost more than my used 911. But they wouldn't think twice about that. I have resisted switching to the "better" garage at my company though because the spaces into garage are wider, easier to get out of, protected by a pole... And it never hurts to not have to have the conversation with one of the bosses about why your car is better than theirs so they must be paying you too much!
Old 08-25-2015, 04:58 PM
upier
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I avoid this completely. I just have to figure out which 911 I want to drive to work, air or water cooled. Life is too short to drive a boring car.
Old 08-25-2015, 05:36 PM
KLS
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 27 Posts

As has been said, no one lies on their death bed, wishing they didn't pile so many miles on their Porsche.
Except maybe James Dean.
Old 08-25-2015, 06:24 PM
Thedips
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love my p car just as much as the next guy. But I do love my daily bmw and merc for more comfort. I guess I grew up barely driving my 944 my dads 930 and 964 and now just accustomed to not daily driving the 997.. A very difficult habit to break... And yes I guess I am saving it for the next guy ... Hopefully my son will enjoy it more

Edit: actually all things considered looking into dumping the bmw for a bare bones 991 pdk! Now that I can get behind. I'm loving the new transmissions , tip was just horrible
Old 08-26-2015, 01:02 AM
nzskater
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 113 Posts

I've recently started walking to work (would take me longer to drive). End result is a massive increase in immediate enjoyment in driving the 911.
Old 08-26-2015, 08:30 AM
Little Green
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by GingerPowered
This post is very timely for me. I have a work/family visit road trip coming up at the end of the week and I've been trying to convince myself to take the 987 CS instead of the Prius. 942 miles and 14.5 hours of road time... Decisions, decisions.
How is this even a choice for you?
You would have to pay me 10K to drive a Prius on a road trip of 14.5 hours.
At least you don't drive like a Prius driver. It would take you closer to 20 hours to do the 942 if you drive like most of them do.

Quick Reply: My *new* argument for NOT daily-ing your 911... ;)