Notices
997 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My *new* argument for NOT daily-ing your 911... ;)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2015, 12:51 AM
sandwedge
Nordschleife Master

Received 1,065 Likes on 746 Posts

I want no regrets if suddenly for whatever reason I end up in a hospital bed or a wheel chair one day over circumstances I can't control. So I try to make the most I can out of every day and looking at my GTS sitting in the garage while driving a boring substitute doesn't work for me. I put 10K miles a year on it without coming close to second thoughts about it. To each their own.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:58 AM
KOTYKB
Three Wheelin'

Received 120 Likes on 63 Posts

I ride a bus 45 miles to and from work each day. When I actually get to drive a car, its my GT3. It puts a smile on my face every time I open it up on the freeway leaving my house.
Old 08-24-2015, 12:21 PM
Carmichael
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Alexandrius
No no no, sex with an ugly woman in the morning so you last longer with the beautiful woman at night is more analogous.
Man, you guys aren't helping with the stereotypes here.

Some of my friends have taken to calling my car "the blue pill special" ... They argue one only buys a 911 or Corvette when one can't perform as they did in the past (they were the ones pushing me to buy an Exige S for semi-daily duty). As if a car which is uncomfortable, harsh and noisy is a sign of virility ...

I commute on a sportbike for most of the warm season, so going from my commuter to the 911 feels like piloting an Me-163 Komet to an Me-262 Schwalbe (I prefer aviation analogies).
Old 08-24-2015, 01:49 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 364 Likes on 224 Posts

Porsche sits in the garage during the week and some weekends. Only comes out during the week if my wife drives it. I drive my demo vehicles to work etc. Brand new vehicle every six months

Tell you what has changed though... I use to drive sports cars as Demo's now Im all practical because I have the Porsche for times I want to just drive!
Old 08-24-2015, 05:20 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

My daily commute is 7 miles each way through suburban residential areas 30-35mph and I can't even fathom leaving my Porsche rotting in the garage all week. It's not an appreciating classic, and I'm not going to live forever. If there were more than 365 days in a year I'd drive it every one of them if I had the chance. It's what I bought it for. Makes any drive more exciting.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:48 PM
GBG
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

The problem with not driving it as often as you can is that you will continuously ask yourself why.

Better to drive it, enjoy it, and take the weight off your mind...
Old 08-24-2015, 05:52 PM
mopar bob
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So you rather spend years in a boring car and not drive your Porsche. Wait, your just saving the best miles for me when I buy it from you so I can use them. Thank you for that.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:03 PM
snake eyes
Three Wheelin'

Received 364 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by mopar bob
So you rather spend years in a boring car and not drive your Porsche. Wait, your just saving the best miles for me when I buy it from you so I can use them. Thank you for that.
Oh I just save the best miles to do what your showing in your sig as much as I can.

Well not autocross ( although I've done that too with it). track days!
Old 08-24-2015, 06:34 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by Omnigeek
He said his daily is a Passat. Sorry, the ugly woman analogy is more fitting IMO.
I'm driving a diesel Passat loaner while my Touareg is in the shop. While not really fast of the line, the car, like most every other VW I've driven, is hardly boring in the twisties. I can easily school most people in this car on cloverleaf highway entrances, thanks to my years of track driving experience. And seeing 720 mile range on the gauge after filling the tank adds something to the driving enjoyment. But having said that, I agree, it's no Porsche. :-)
Old 08-24-2015, 07:07 PM
Jastx
Three Wheelin'

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

I have owned several great Porsches over the years, see my signature. Most spent almost all of their time in the garage because there was always a reason NOT to drive them - parking is bad, weather may be bad, bringing too much stuff, etc. I didn't have time to drive them for just pleasure, so they hardly ever got driven.

So now, I bought my 997.2. I sold my daily driver this weekend and today I drove my Porsche to work as MY CAR. I will do that every day and use my Porsche as my transportation. I may not enjoy every minute in traffic but I will enjoy it A LOT. I will be driving a Porsche 911! Awesome!

Last edited by Jastx; 08-24-2015 at 08:40 PM.
Old 08-24-2015, 08:16 PM
TommyV44
Drifting

Received 480 Likes on 276 Posts

I live in Florida now and own 2 vehicles….the 911 and a 1985 Jeep CJ-7 and I love them both!

Daily driving for me now consists os going to the beach most days and for that I drive the Jeep (no doors, Orange, bikini top! Throw the chair, umbrella, cooler etc in the back and scoot….no worries about sand, wet bathing suits etc.

For all else it's the Porsche….dinner, nights out or trips to my sister's in Sarasota. I fly for work so no commuting opportunity or it's be the Porsche.

If you have a Porsche it's a DD or why own it?

Tom
Old 08-24-2015, 08:39 PM
Alexandrius
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I should probably note I put 27,000 Miles on my 911 this past year. It's not a garage queen by any stretch. All my road trips are still in the 911 (usually weekly). Just saying...I do enjoy driving it more when I let my passat chug along in traffic and I take a nap, and drive the 911 at night time just to drive, and find it much more enjoyable.

I understand the daily driven mentality as well. I just like my current setup quite nicely.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:03 PM
Mark Dreyer
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 672 Likes on 365 Posts

I have a Spyder on order. This will be my DD, inconvenient top and 20k miles/year notwithstanding.
Old 08-24-2015, 09:31 PM
PVKPorsche
Rennlist Member

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

We had three cars between my wife and I. I sold one of them because it was the least driven, mostly sat outside getting dirty. I work from home so I am either on a plane or occassionally driving to LA or San Diego for client meetings. Typically I'll drive the 911 unless I have to go from meeting to meeting over a few days, then I rent a car. The only thing I hate about taking the Porsche is driving up to LA and wondering how many rock chips and other crap are beating up my front end, windshield, mirrors, rockers.... but if thats the biggest issue to worry about, life is good....
Old 08-24-2015, 11:05 PM
Ben Z
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Strange as it may seem, on the infrequent occasions I'm forced to go more than 100 miles away by car, I also rent one. Sure I'd love to do it in the Pcar, but getting stranded with mechanical problems is just too inconvenient. Had it happen once with our Merc and it wasn't pleasant. If a rental breaks down, one phone call and they send out a replacement on a flatbed and make the switch and off I go. Had that happen too.

Quick Reply: My *new* argument for NOT daily-ing your 911... ;)