DSC Sport - Tuning Software Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2019, 10:38 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,444 Likes on 4,106 Posts

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
HELP! I think something's wrong. I just had some suspension work done (replaced camber plate monoball and height adjustment), and now my DSC is running at full stiffness (100%) all the time! The shock percent is running at "500%" and the current is "10mA." I think this is the DSC's emergency mode. What should I do?
If one of the wires is disconnected or connected backwards, it will default to full stiff. If they worked on just the front wheels, check the electrical wires that come from the shocks to make sure both sides are connected and that they didn't cut one where it's shorting where it comes out of the shock.

If both are connected and none of the insulation from the wires is stripped away, then reverse the polarity on one plug and test the system. If that doesn't do it, put that one back the way it was and reverse the other one and test the system. If that doesn't work, leave that one the way it was and reverse the other one and try it again.

All of this assumes the light on the button is working. If not, check the fuse first.
The following users liked this post:
gasongasoff (09-23-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 03:19 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

Okay, thanks PV997 and Petza914, I'll see if I can get to the connector in the morning and reverse the polarity. I think they had to take shock out to replace the monoball on one side, so maybe that also required disconnecting the PASM cable. If there's a problem with ONE PASM cable, will the DSC go to full stiffness on ALL FOUR shocks? Because that's what I'm observing.
Old 09-21-2019, 09:45 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Okay, thanks PV997 and Petza914, I'll see if I can get to the connector in the morning and reverse the polarity. I think they had to take shock out to replace the monoball on one side, so maybe that also required disconnecting the PASM cable. If there's a problem with ONE PASM cable, will the DSC go to full stiffness on ALL FOUR shocks? Because that's what I'm observing.
Yes, any error in the system causes it to go to full stiff for safety.
gasongasoff (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 09:28 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 942 Likes on 525 Posts

Petza914 and PV997 are both spot on. Thanks for the chiming in guys!

Gasongasoff- most likely one of the shock connector is not seated all the way or got damaged or a cable got crushed during the mechanical work that was done. If one shock has an open circuit then the entire system will default to full stiff, which is the same default protocol for factory Porsche system.
We have created a lot of resources on the DSC Website to help user. Here's the link to the support video page, video #127 is how to read fault codes, this should tell you which shock has open circuit-
https://www.dscsport.com/tuning-acad...-0ed9f5a8-9f31

TPC Racing stats:
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup Am Champion
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge GT4 Pro-Am Team Champion
2022 Porsche Sprint Challenge 992 Cup & 991 Cup Champion
2020 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2018 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge 2nd Championship
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champion
2006 Rolex-24 @ Daytona GT Champion
2004 Grand-Am SGS Class Champion

gasongasoff (09-23-2019)
Old 09-23-2019, 02:12 PM
gasongasoff
Pro

Update: The PASM line was severed! It was in the wheel well where the shop was working. Petza, PV997, and of course Tom, you all nailed it. The line looks like it was broken way past the plug, but can't tell much more than that (or if it just got yanked out of the coilover). Would have to take the wheel off to see.

I'm bringing the car back to the shop on Wed. They normally do good work, so hoping this was just a fluke. Will keep everyone posted. Appreciate your help.
Old 09-23-2019, 02:15 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Update: The PASM line was severed! It was in the wheel well where the shop was working. Petza, PV997, and of course Tom, you all nailed it. The line looks like it was broken way past the plug, but can't tell much more than that (or if it just got yanked out of the coilover). Would have to take the wheel off to see.

I'm bringing the car back to the shop on Wed. They normally do good work, so hoping this was just a fluke. Will keep everyone posted. Appreciate your help.
Glad you found the culprit. Hopefully they can get it properly repaired for you quickly. I believe those wires are fairly hard to source, so hoping it's just a little solder and some heat-shrink tubing to seal it back up.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:03 AM
gasongasoff
Pro

Update: Shop repaired the break with solder and heatshrink. The PASM wire coming out from beneath the coilover was severed at one of the bends. They didn't say how it happened. DSC Tuner is now showing the expected mA to each corner. Now I can go back to playing with the DSC settings! Thanks all for the help on this one.
Tom@TPC Racing (09-26-2019)
Old 09-26-2019, 01:20 AM
PV997
Three Wheelin'

Received 1,506 Likes on 644 Posts

Great news, glad we could help.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:45 PM
ColoradoMark
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

A thought occurred to me today while I was at the track today. My adjustable sways bars are both set to full stiff. Would the TPC box have more effect if they were less stiff?
Old 09-26-2019, 09:11 PM
rickster997
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 53 Posts

Strange question: I went to the dealer today to have my spoiler changed to fixed on a 997.2 GTS with sports suspension. I recently added aerokit wing. The tech mentioned if I had ever had a tune on the car as the computer was showing it. He said he fixed/re-flashed it. I never had a tune, although the previous owner may have. I do have a DSC controller. Would that show up? Can it be "cleared" by the dealer? I may be imaging things but the drive home felt stiffer. Am I imaging things?
Old 09-26-2019, 10:41 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by ColoradoMark
A thought occurred to me today while I was at the track today. My adjustable sways bars are both set to full stiff. Would the TPC box have more effect if they were less stiff?
I think you might feel the effect more if they were less stiff, but since the DSC box works off of g-forces if you're generating the same g's through through a corner with the different sway bar settings, the DSC box will do the same amount of stiffening. It's possible that the same amount of DSC stiffening may make the car behave slightly differently with the sway bar adjusted differently though. Then you also get into the discussion about, does a stiffer sway bar let me set the DSC softer for better patch contact in bumpy corners or since there's less body roll with the stiffer sway bar, do you change the DSC to also be stiffer since you're having less suspension travel anyway.

Really, repeated trials under the same conditions with different setups are the only way to determine what really works the most effectively.
ColoradoMark (09-26-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 11:03 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by ColoradoMark
The DSC doesn't work any less if the sway bar setting is stiffer. Damping force, coil spring rate force, and sway bar force are compounded during braking, cornering, and accelerating events. It depends on how the rest of the car is setup, some cars need everything maxed out to get fastest lap time, and some cars don't. When we do our development work on a car we typically adjust ride height, camber, toe, and sway bars to have good balance before we add DSC into the equation. Once the "platform" have good balance then DSC will make an improvement by changing damping force to the driver's input. To sum up my answer, damping force, coil spring rate force, and sway bar force can overlap each other some to produce a certain amount of roll resistance at a certain time but each one is not truly a substitute for each other. Each must work together as a system in a good handling car.
ColoradoMark (09-27-2019)
Old 09-27-2019, 11:15 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by rickster997
Strange question: I went to the dealer today to have my spoiler changed to fixed on a 997.2 GTS with sports suspension. I recently added aerokit wing. The tech mentioned if I had ever had a tune on the car as the computer was showing it. He said he fixed/re-flashed it. I never had a tune, although the previous owner may have.
Usually at the dealership level they don't read nor have the equipment to decipher the binary to know there's a tune. Some tuners change the ECU's firmware version in order to use their tune, so if the ECU's firmware version doesn't match the original then I guess that's how a dealer tech can determine the ECU was tuned at some point.

Originally Posted by rickster997
I do have a DSC controller. Would that show up? Can it be "cleared" by the dealer? I may be imaging things but the drive home felt stiffer. Am I imaging things?
DSC is a different hardware than PASM controller. So unlike the ECU, its not a memory flash. DSC is a complete hardware replacement for the PASM controller. If a dealer tech attempts to read the PASM system with DSC installed it will show up as no communication since the PASM controller he's trying to read isn't in the car. No comm means unable to read, but it is not a fault code.
Old 12-12-2019, 06:46 PM
Joe731
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Sebring

I recently bought a DSC controller V3 for my 991.1 GT3RS. The car winters at Sebring, which is very flat and very bumpy. Does anyone have a "map" that works well for Sebring?

Prior to the DSC, Sebring was so bumpy that I would run in soft, but have often thought that I should switch to firm after turn 1, and then back to soft for turn 17 as the majority of bumps are in those two big long fast turns.

And finally, if using the standard DSC map, is firm or soft recommended for Sebring?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 12-17-2019, 10:55 AM
Tom@TPC Racing
Premium Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Originally Posted by Joe731
I recently bought a DSC controller V3 for my 991.1 GT3RS. The car winters at Sebring, which is very flat and very bumpy. Does anyone have a "map" that works well for Sebring?

Prior to the DSC, Sebring was so bumpy that I would run in soft, but have often thought that I should switch to firm after turn 1, and then back to soft for turn 17 as the majority of bumps are in those two big long fast turns.

And finally, if using the standard DSC map, is firm or soft recommended for Sebring?

Thanks,

Joe
Sorry for not replying sooner, I was working at PRI all last week. You'll have to try both modes to see which is better for your car's setup(sway bar setting, rake, ride height, alignment). About half of the user run Sport mode, while the other half run Normal mode. Usually with stiffer sway bar setting Normal mode is commonly used to offset the stiffness. Either mode on the DSC will better damping for the bumps at Sebring but it'll still be bumpy because of how the track is.

Quick Reply: DSC Sport - Tuning Software Discussion Thread